Garden Walk Buffalo – Small Space Gardening

Garden-Walk-Buffalo-20There is nothing to compare with color in the urban gardens of Buffalo. Garden Walk Buffalo is in a class by itself for originality and the most optimal use of small space gardening. No fear of color with the colorfully painted houses or exuberant gardening in a small space.  It might have to do with the long months of winter we endure in this area. Gardening in the city, people celebrate the coming of the growing season with excitement and artful cheeriness.

The Charm of the Cottage and the Power of Community

In this post I am showing the ways in which the architecture relates to the gardening and the creative ways the homeowners set their properties apart from one another. I believe gardeners the world over can learn from this area – learn to be bold and take the step to make a statement in and of your community. What happens is neighbors meet neighbors and next thing you know, they start fixing up their front porches, repainting their houses and making a community bloom in so many ways.

Don’t ruin your eyesight squinting at the images, click each image in the gallery to see these gardens and homes. Well worth the few minutes to marvel…

Inspired? Garden Walk Buffalo began in 1995 by two city gardeners who were determined to showcase how great city living could be. They were inspired by a trip to Chicago and Washington DC and came home with ideas bursting at the seams. Today, the walk has blossomed to almost 400 colorful and creative gardens which lure in garden walkers from all over the country.

This is an overview of some of the gardens in and around the Cottage District. Tomorrow, see more gardens that can plant just about any plant our climate can nurture. In upcoming posts, I will have a closer look at gardening in small spaces along with window boxes and Hell Strips. I bet you gardeners cannot wait!

This entry was posted in Design, garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Garden Walk Buffalo – Small Space Gardening

1. cindy knoke says:

I love each of these!

2. All of the homes are adorable and the gardens are a dream for me.

Tamara

3. Pat says:

Such charming homes and gardens.

4. Loving the Garden Walk – Love the Pops of Color 🙂 Thanks so much sharing!

5. alesiablogs says:

I agree with Pat..So charming and so sweet!

6. swo8 says:

I remember when my grandmother painted her little house purple. They had a paint sale!
    Leslie

7. Lin Celoni says:

Thanks again for taking us on the walks with you.

8. Beautiful and inspirational! Thanks for sharing!

9. Jet Eliot says:

The color is wonderful! Great photos. 🙂

10. Love the little gardens!! All are inspiring to this non-professional– thank you!

11. I loved the colorful houses and their creative use of plants. They all look so beautiful each with their own individual style. Thanks for sharing!

12. Rebecca says:

It’s SO true – the way this gardening energy spreads! The charm just oozes all over these cottages. I can’t see enough of them.!

13. As always. great photos. There’s a little something unique in each, but the common theme of color and maximizing space make them really stand out.

14. Lovely, it reminds me of the artist’s garden we saw in San Francisco but so many more.

I love the colorful houses! These pictures are fun. Thanks for sharing!

16. Travelng Gardener says:

Buffalo is such a hidden gem of a city, and the Garden Walk is just one aspect that makes it so wonderful.

17. navasolanature says:

It is just such a great example of how lovely cities can be when people care about their gardens. I think I did a blog on my home area in London in the Spring and there were still some lovely gardens but too many drives have replaced front gardens in London.

18. LOVE these gardens they are like little jewels in a jewelry box. I especially love how the colors of the houses go with the gardens. Makes me want to go to the paint store for something exciting to cover up our house’s boring white paint.

Oh what colorful and fun gardens to get a chance to visit. They just make you smile.

20. I love this garden walk especially because of all the colorful houses. I will make it some day!

21. Annette says:

Absolutely great! They look like little doll houses and create such a happy picture. I wonder how these people compare to others living in dull houses. Is it mandatory to be fond of colour there or is it just that it attracts mostly people who love colour?

22. These are charming houses with charming gardens.

23. bittster says:

I always thought white was way too boring for anything else other than 100+ year old farmhouses. How do these houses look in the winter with nothing but snow around? Cheerful? or just a lot of color….

24. Much inspiration in these lovely pocket gardens.