Monarch Pupa

Monarch-Pupa-2

Monarch Pupa

It is getting to be that time of year when the Monarch butterflies start to think about the journey to Mexico. Each year I go back to Pennsylvania in fall, I drive along their route, seeing hundreds of them following along the interstate. I look forward to the butterfly migration, but never was in Mexico at the right time to see where the Monarchs spend the winter. I did see a number of Monarchs earlier this year, but not as many during the height of summer. A few were nectaring in my garden, more in the meadows.

For some interesting information on butterflies, see my post Butterflies – Two in One. It makes one think about just how complex nature can be and also how amazing. This butterfly may even remember being a caterpillar.

Monarch-Pupa

Monarch Pupa

A new Monarch on the way…

Nature and Wildlife Pics, Does This Look Like a Heron?

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Monarch Pupa

1. Amazing photos. I really will have to get something better than my phone camera… maybe you could do a beginner’s guide?

2. How fortunate to be able to see the beginning of this amazing creature! πŸ™‚
    Happy weekend, Donna!

3. bittster says:

Amazing to see the chrysalis like this with the butterfly on the verge of coming out. The transformation is so special, to think it goes from what seems like a dull eating machine to something completely different in just a few days is wild!

Beautiful monarchs! These are great pictures.

5. Mike Powell says:

I had no idea that you could see the wings of the Monarch while it is in a pupa stage. Wow! Wonderful shots. I was happy to finally see some Monarchs this summer, but like so many others, I’ve noted a reduction in their numbers compared to a few years ago.

6. I have to ask: you have so much going on in your own home garden, did the pupa photo come from there? Phenomenal photo. πŸ™‚

I read an article a while back about the Monarchs in Mexico. What astounded me were the photos of them massed and clumped together like orange & black banana bunches. So many bunches, that it was as if they wall-papered the area with their tiny bodies.

7. Jet Eliot says:

Spectacular photos Donna! I especially like the pupa and seeing through inside to the wing. πŸ™‚

8. gauchoman2002 says:

Amazing photos. I hope you don’t mind, but I posted a link to Reddit so others can enjoy these awesome shots.

9. lauramacky says:

At first I thought these were mine LOL!!! I made a post of these a few posts ago. They are gorgeous by the way…YOUR photos. And in general butterflies are so beautiful!

10. Priya Ghose says:

Beautiful images…I love viewing inside the pupa! I grew up in a town in CA that serves as a wintering spot for our West Coast monarchs, and it was truly an amazing sight to see them coating the eucalyptus branches in clusters thicker than leaves.

11. How wonderful – I have never seen one of these. Love the photographs.

12. First time for me seeing one, too! Beautiful!

13. So COOL – thanks so much for sharing πŸ™‚ Happy Weekend!

14. I saw a few here too but would love to see hundreds of them.

15. My Heartsong says:

Never seen it in this form before, I assume very close to breaking out-just wonderful!

16. They’re amazing butterflies and your photos are, too. I seem to be seeing at least one a day now, and often more. Definitely more in my garden than I saw last year–but it’s shady so not the best indicator. I also now have two Monarch caterpillars here–on Common Milkweed I brought back from the cottage. I didn’t see them on the plants, but now they’re fourth instars. Fun to watch! Enjoy the butterflies and the start of the migration. πŸ™‚

17. I admit that I love Monarch butterflies; I love photos and information about these creatures. Your pupa photo is a 10…without question a 10.

18. ginnietom says:

super glider…

19. Indie says:

Wow, gorgeous!! What a beautiful picture of the Monarch in the pupa! I have yet to see any Monarchs up here, though I’ve heard at least a couple have been spotted in the area. I used to get a lot in my garden in North Carolina, and I wonder how many it’s getting this year.

20. Fascinating photos, thank you.

21. Pat says:

Beautiful photos.

22. Laurie Barger - I don't have a blog says:

Beautiful photos! The Pupa is awesome! May I please “Pin” your Monarch photos to my Save the Monarch Butterflies Pinterest board? I would put your website on the second line. Gardenwalkgardentalk.com