Garden Summer Blooms – Update 8-7-14

Front-4

It has been a great summer, with a bit of rain and cooler temperatures. The garden weekly update has been delayed due to all the garden walk gardens I have been showing. There are quite a few more on the way, from a unique herb garden to daylilies, to more gardens from Garden Walk Buffalo. Take a leisurely scroll through the images in my garden with all the colorful pairings of plants.

Check out what I have that is paired with phlox in the front garden. Next year the phlox should be well filled out and almost to the height of the Perovkia. The daylilies should double in size also. The removal of the concolor made more space for new plantings.

The Front Garden

I do leave many perennials standing in dead stalks because one, they self seed like Delphinium and Foxglove, and the other reason is there has been a lot of songbirds taking advantage of the plants going to seed.

The salvias rested through a bit of the summer heat, then came back strong for the bees.

Front-19

In the gallery below, you can see I have Anise Hyssop, Salvia, Veronica, Verbena, and above, the Perovskia. Any guesses which one is the leader for the bees in late summer? I won’t even add Caryopteris in this group because you all know that plant leads the pack every year. Which one takes second place? I bet you are wrong on both counts. The goldenrod is soon to bloom and it gets very few pollinators compared to the plants listed above.

The side and back gardens.

Side-Garden-8-11-14

Has there been too much of my garden this year? I always debate doing posts on it for fear readers will tire of all the minor changes I make each year. I raise a lot of plants for garden sales and even client properties, so you will see changes happening as I remove or add plants to meet these purposes. The many specialty daylilies are for our plant sale and will be thinned each year. I have different varieties of phlox, monarda, hosta, iris, lilies, and coneflower that also get sent to the plant sale. The odd double Pink Poodle Coneflower is in the gallery below. I may show the varieties of these various plants in another post. Last year I even sent boxwood to the sale. With all the places my plants go, sometimes I feel like I have a nursery here rather than a home garden. It is one reason I show it infrequently.

The white phlox is just starting to bloom. Another week and it will be open and full.ย  It is always delayed because it sits under the pear tree in much shade. Boxwood fronts it and the area always remains dry, not particularly to the liking of phlox. Here it is just starting to flush.

Phlox

I will be moving some to the front garden next year to join all the pink phlox. Much of the front garden is new planting since the concolor was removed. By next year it will be a riot of color when plants fill in, similar in fullness to the Rudbeckia in the side garden below. It is hard to believe that garden has other plants, but spring it starts to fill up with iris, sundrops, yarrow and more. Echinacea is also in that bed at this time of year.

See the bees in late summer on Nature and Wildlife Pics. It gives you a sense of the variety of bees and on what they are feeding.

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Garden Summer Blooms – Update 8-7-14

1. Aging Hippie says:

Reblogged this on I Am Dharma and commented:
    Beautiful๐ŸŒพ

2. I can never have “too much of your garden”, Donna!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Sheila says:

Beautiful garden. I do so love visiting and it is such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing it with us.

4. Wow, inspiring for us on the other side of the world still getting through winter! I’m dividing plants like Bergamot and taking cuttings to share with friends. Must try some Echinacea and maybe some daylilies!

5. Your garden is so neat. I was wondering how you do it. The key is that you thin out your plants every year and send them off to sales. That must help keep it from looking wild and overgrown.

6. lulu says:

I have so enjoyed your gardens and envied your magic touches with flowers. I’m still learning about perennials and next year I won’t cut the dead stems back and hope they propagate. Thanks for that tip.

7. Nell Jean says:

When you wonder what you show too much of, think of our visiting in person and decide, “Would we look at this again (and again)? We probably would.

And so what do the bees prefer?

8. The layout of your garden is comfortable & inviting. The flowers compliment each other well. Well done indeed! I’m not a gardener, but I do very well with interior design & I love being outside. So now I’m ready to journey onto gardening. I wonder how many years of planning & cultivation this has taken. Any tips for someone like me? Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos!

9. Reblogged this on Staying Focused Everyday and commented:
    Great inspiration for a future gardener!!!

10. Donna I really enjoy seeing your garden change and what plants you are combining. I particularly love your front garden now with so many flowers and all those bees. Great colors splashed everywhere.

11. Thank you for taking us on a tour of your garden – a delight and a joy to see the bautiful colours and harmony. Your pics always raise my spirits!

12. Debra says:

Has there been too much of my garden this year? One word: no! More words: I love seeing your garden.

13. Your garden is looking beautiful! Looks like summer is treating your flowers well ๐Ÿ™‚

14. eulalia says:

love your garden and your pictures….

15. Phyllis says:

Beautiful garden and would never think it is too much for you to share. In fact, I
    have looked at it over and over and enjoyed each time. Thank you!

16. Lin Celoni says:

I am always happy to be invited to your garden. It is beautiful! I was surprised to se your little spot of grass. I think I would put in nice gravel and a bench. I am just not a grass girl I guess.

17. Pat says:

Love that mass of black-eyed Susans.

18. LOVE the Pops of Color ๐Ÿ™‚

19. I can’t believe that summer is slipping by! I wish we could enjoy these blooms all year long.

20. What a beautiful cottage garden you have. It certainly has done wonders under your loving care.

21. Annette says:

Photographer’s paradise, Donna, I’d love to spend a day in your garden, nose to nose with all these spectacular flowers. Verbena is a clear favourite for our insects but Agastache is probably popular too. Enjoy your little piece of heaven ๐Ÿ™‚

22. lucindalines says:

It is beautiful no matter why you grow it. Love that you shared it.

23. bittster says:

You have so much color there, the summer has been good to you! Look at those little sunflowers out front, they’re a nice little touch.
    Is it the hyssop that’s most popular or the perovskia. I have both but the hyssop is still so small I think the bees miss it.

24. mrsslazenger says:

beautiful โค

25. Indie says:

I love seeing the large pictures of the whole garden and seeing how all the plants work together. I love the whole view of the front garden! I love propagating plants, and I can’t wait until my garden fills in a little more so that I can do more of that. Very pretty!

26. So much color! Thanks for sharing–I never get tired of posts about your garden, or about your experiences elsewhere. Still several weeks of summer left. Yay!

27. I enjoy all the photos you share with us of your garden. It’s nice to see what compliments each other and the varying heights of the plants. I never get tired of photos your garden.

I love these updates! I can never see “too many” pictures of your beautiful garden.

29. Your garden looks downright delicious!