Daylilies and Coneflowers

RaspberrySunshine

Raspberry Sunshine Daylily

A closer look at what is blooming in the garden from the post Garden Summer Blooms – 8-7-14. Focus today? Daylilies and a group of plants that are almost interchangeable.

Did you ever wonder what is the difference between Echinacea and Rudbeckia?

There is very little differentiating them to the casual gardener. They are very closely related and come from the same family of plants (Asteraceae). Both are native plants blooming around the same time in summer and relatively little bothered by pests. Both tolerate drought and soils of poor fertility.

Mostly, they differ in appearance and color. The coneflower in my garden is purple, white and pink, while the Rudbeckia is yellow to orange-yellow. The coneflowers are generally larger in flower size, yet I have a variety of Black-eyed Susan that is just as large called Indian Summer.

You will see a difference in petal curvature too with the coneflowers having petals curving downward regularly, making that cone more prominent. Some remain daisy-like, but many are curved. One difference that is really noticeable in our area is that Rudbeckia can run rampant, while coneflowers stay much more contained.  Just a note, if you want the rudbeckia to return, many varieties like Indian Summer need to set seed and come back as annuals. Deadhead them and they are dead in your garden.

Coneflower

Echinacea purpurea and Phlox paniculata ‘Bright Eyes’ – White Eye Flame series

There are more varieties of Coneflower, Rudbeckia and daylilies in my garden, but this sampler should give you an idea of just a few. I will add more to the list at another time.

Wild-One

Wild One

See Nature and Wildlife Pics for an insect we gardeners usually despise.

This entry was posted in garden, Nature, photography, photos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Daylilies and Coneflowers

1. alesiablogs says:

That first photo is breathtaking.

2. Christophe Descroix says:

Reblogged this on LA PASSION DES JARDINS.

3. Love the hardy native Echinaceas and Rudbeckias! And so do the pollinators and the butterflies. Daylilies are fabulous to have around during the summer, too. All are seasonal favorites!

4. Christophe Descroix says:

Congratulation for the photos I like so much these kinds of plants thanks

5. Adding day lilies the last few years, and this year added to the color and variety of coneflowers in the garden! Love them both! Nice post and images–as always.

6. bittster says:

Nice color. I’m not the biggest fan of daylilies in the garden, but those individual blooms are great. The coneflowers always make me happy, even that messy double one!

7. meander1 says:

Hope you don’t mind but I would selfishly like to ask you a question. I have a great number of annual type black eyed susan whose seeds have germinated at different time periods through out the season so far. Some look totally dead and even a nudge will have them fall over and separate contact with the ground. My question is…do I have to let these dead plants stay in place even through the winter in order to get them to reseed or can i just cut off the seed heads and leave them on the ground? Hope my query makes sense.
    That Jamaican Me Crazy daylily is quite showy. I have one called Fashion Police that is quite similar. The hybridizers are certainly coming up with lots of fancy looks.

• I leave them for the birds each winter, but my neighbor who dislikes the winter birds feeding here, cuts them down. The seed needs to ripen and drop but if you had them blooming throughout the season, you must have had dried seed disperse in the garden. I know a few hybridizers in our area, and it is amazing what they come up with each year.

• meander1 says:

Thanks for your response. I get nervous that I’ll louse up this welcome reseeding cycle from year to year if I clean up too thoroughly. It’s surprising to me the way the seeds don’t all germinate at once.

Beautiful! I particularly love the first one. Daylilies are among my favorite flowers.

9. Thanks for the information on the rudbeckia that you have to let go to seed. I didn’t realize this. I don’t have any of it at this time, but just the spreading variety. Beautiful photos!

10. Gorgeous, I especially love the daylilies. I can’t imagine the time you must take to get the light so perfect for each photo.

11. lulu says:

These are about all I have left and the lilies are going fast.

12. Rudbeckia and echinacea are so easy to grow. I’d recommend them for anyone’s garden.

13. Rose says:

Lovely daylilies, Donna! Mine are all but done blooming. The Rudbeckias are the ones I have trouble differentiating–there are so many of them, and they look so similar. In my garden, the Echinaceas are beginning to run rampant as well. But they are one of my favorites, and the critters in my garden love them; I should deadhead them, but the finches are enjoying all the seeds right now.

14. Indie says:

Beautiful daylilies! I had a big problem this year, actually, as a fellow gardener had let me dig a clump of Rudbeckia plants and a clump of Purple Coneflowers plants out of her garden, along with a lot of other plants. Of course, by the time I got home I couldn’t remember which was which, and they looked so similar. Even after scouring the internet trying to figure out the differences between the plants, I got it wrong and planted them in the wrong place and am now busy switching them!

15. Gorgeous garden blooms and so much info I didn’t know! 🙂
    Happy weekend, Donna! 🙂

16. Excellent information about letting the rudbeckia go to seed, Donna. As you know, I had aster yellows in my coneflower, so we pulled them out and I am really missing them. I love your daylilies, especially the Raspberry Sunshine. Fabulous captures, as always. P. x

17. Jet Eliot says:

Lovely flower photos and great information, Donna. I like all these flowers–so cheerful in the garden–but I especially love to see a blanket of rudbeckias. 🙂

18. You do have beautiful specimens of all three; daylilies, rudbeckias, and coneflowers. They are a mainstay for me. I have many rudbeckias that I love seeing popping up all over. I tried to comment on your new blog but it was not available.

19. lucindalines says:

Again thanks for all of the great information! Beautiful pictures.

20. BEAUTIFUL – love the pops of color 🙂

21. Aquileana says:

Marvelous gallery, Donna… Best regards, Aquileana 😛

22. John Hric says:

Nice selection of daylilies ! And the rest of the garden too !

23. plantenance says:

Reblogged this on Plantenance and commented:
    Have you planted any of these in your garden?