Garden Bloggers Fling – Toronto – What Will Be Blooming? Let’s See.

Trollius

I wish I knew the answer to that question. Living here in Niagara Falls, NY, it is 80 miles driving and about 1 hour and 26 minutes to Toronto. They are North and a slight bit West of us around a very big lake. Boat across and it is a bit over 30 miles across Lake Ontario. We share much of the same weather benefiting from the Great Lakes being that close. The Fling is a long time off, but to get an idea what the attendees might see, let’s look at my garden and why it is a good indicator of bloom times.

I know the 2015 Toronto Garden Bloggers Fling is not my concern being in a different country, but it is so darn close to me, so I thought to post what happens in my garden June 5-7 each year, and give you an idea of what blooms – even one week later. This time of year is always a surprise.

2011

The above gallery is the garden June 5, 2011. Lilacs are in bloom, and creeping phlox is at prime – usually though, blooming mid-May.

The Toronto Garden Bloggers Fling is scheduled for June 5-7, 2015 which is rather early in the season. We do have a wonderful spring most years with much in bloom, yet it is always a flip of the coin on what part weather plays. Let’s see how my garden fared in the last four years as a comparison. Allium is in both the front and back gardens. Just one week later… Allium fizzles yet…

The above gallery is June 12, 2011. Quite a difference in a short week.

I rarely walk to Canada to see the flowers this early in the season because June 29, 2011, I went over and they were just beginning to install the annuals. See them planting here.

At the end of May 2015, I will check what Niagara Falls Parks has planted.Ā  Pretty images in the link, but funny story at the end with a snippy Canadian parks worker, worth clicking to see my other blog, Green Apples. It is a blog I stopped posting to, but currently it gets over 100 views a day on posts like this one, so I keep it live.

Granted, 2011 was a slow starting year, just look at my garden above. I even asked Park workers why so late? They told me it was partly due to weather and partly due to budget constraints. So I guess those factors will play into 2015 planting too.

Do I know if these places are on the Toronto Fling schedule?

No, but I bet the Fling committee has worked out the schedule with them, weather permitting if the group ventures to the Falls. The Horticulture School (7 miles from me) is down our way as is Niagara on the Lake another nice place to visit, along with the Botanical Gardens and Butterfly Conservancy. Maybe these places could be visited. See why I mentioned this?

In our area, it is recommended to wait until after Memorial Day for planting tender plants due to a possible late frost. We have had frosts that late before. This is why I was surprised the Toronto Garden Bloggers Fling was scheduled so early. Many in our area plant annuals and early June they are barely much to see unless massed excessively as carpet bedding plants, like Niagara Falls Parks. They have a Floral Clock too that works! I would think the Fling committee would schedule seeing the clock, because next to the Falls, it is a huge attraction for visitors. Of course, the organizers may keep the Fling attendees away from all the tourist traps, but they do flowers well in Canada. Also, the clock would be over an hour away from downtown Toronto.

Let’s keep looking at my garden for yearly comparison since home gardens if on the schedule, will likely have plants similar to what I have for bloom times.

2012

This gallery is the front garden June 5-7, 2012. Where there was barely more than Allium in 2011 during the 5th to the 7th, you can see a host of blooming perennials in 2012 in the front and side gardens.

But the back gardens…Past peony time yet daylilies have arrived. You can see a big difference in the back garden as the iris is done and the Asiatic lilies are ready to pop. No creeping phlox either, June 5-7, 2012. But roses are flush.

What you will see is a lot of plants from bulbs. You might see Allium, iris, viburnum, peonies, creeping phlox, and Salvia. Then again, depending on weather, you might not as shown from 2011-2012. Let’s keep going…

2013

I did not have many photos taken in this time frame in 2013, but you can see peonies and iris were in bloom by the 6th.

2014

Peonies are yet to open on the 5th, but creeping phlox and lilacs are past prime, iris are blooming, and lots of sage. This is a good time to show the next week too where the garden was much more in bloom. I have no images of June 14th, but here are photos from the 12th to the 16th.

Only next year’s weather will tell what will be blooming, but you can see at least some pretty blooms will greet Flingers. The 2015 winter and spring weather will keep us guessing though. Get your passports ready! Toronto is a fun place to visit.

On Nature and Wildlife Pics, a post questioning our part in nature. Are They Nature?

This entry was posted in garden, Nature, photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Garden Bloggers Fling – Toronto – What Will Be Blooming? Let’s See.

1. AMAZEBalls – loving your captures – love the Cardinal and that pink and purple poppy šŸ™‚

2. Donna, you have the most beautiful, and informative blog that I know of on gardening by a landslide. So good!!! Btw, I will be in Toronto for the whole month of July next year.

Your garden has been quite beautiful through the years. I love pink and purple, but those are primarily spring colors for me (March, April, and May). June is summer here, and what I call the “deep greening” of the garden has begun, with accents of hotter, tropical colors. It is fun to see what is going on up north!

4. Laurin Lindsey says:

Thank you for helping manage expectations : ) here in Houston we had a very late spring and I know that winter pretty much dictates what blooms when in spring. It all looks lush and green and I know it will be fun! You garden is beautiful!

5. swo8 says:

Hi Donna,
    I just love your photos. If that is your garden it is magnificent. I have some Delphiniums and purple Hydrangea coming out for a second bloom. We’ve been eating our own tomatoes for almost a month.
    Leslie

6. I am amazed at what you have still blooming in your garden. In Seattle we are really in early fall with most of my garden starting to hunker down and get ready for the next season…Great photos, I really love your garden design.

7. Alisha says:

beautiful post Donna !!

8. Your images are always such a joy to look at – I especially love the Irises, and the Poppy looks exactly like the one I have in my own little patio garden here in England. In fact, most of the plants you show I am familiar with here too. Beautiful!

9. No surprise, your garden grows happier and happier!!!!! Such joyful colors, Donna! šŸ™‚

10. I am surprised they picked these dates as many Toronto gardeners parallel my bloom times which are similar to yours and sometimes behind or slightly ahead. There will be some nice things blooming but I would think July would be better as we have had cold Junes.

11. Brian Comeau says:

That is one amazing property you have.

12. Indie says:

Wow, that is early for such a Northern garden visit! Down South everything would have been in full swing by then, but if we get another polar vortex, who knows? šŸ™‚ We visit Toronto every so often as my husband has family there, but I’ve never gotten the chance to get out and see the area much (and it’s often on the cold side when we go.) Hopefully there will be a milder winter, and the gardens will be full of blooms by then!

13. Hope to make it! I have a college graduation in Minnesota in early May and, potentially, a wedding sometime during the summer. If the schedule allows it… I don’t want to get too excited because every summer, something has come up that has prevented me from attending. I’m beginning to think it just wasn’t meant to be. But I can always dream…

Beautiful pictures! I always enjoy seeing your garden, and it’s interesting to see how it changes over time during a season. This year, our lilacs were in bloom in May (if I’m remembering correctly), a month later than last year.

15. bittster says:

Beautiful! I feel like I just time-warped, not just for the flashback to early summer, but also for the changes in your garden!

16. Based on your pictures I am sure it will be glorious. Perhaps it will be more of a late spring Fling than a summer Fling.

17. Lula says:

I love being able “to visit” your gardens in different years, they look beautiful and exuberant!! Thanks.

18. Margaret says:

I love how you are able to include a gallery of smaller photos into the blog post. I’ve been looking for something similar to what you have. Is this a plug in or part of your website design? I have a wordpress blog and don’t want to add a lot of large images and really love the look of these smaller galleries that don’t take up so much room.

Recently found your blog and love it!!

19. Jennifer says:

I was looking up the date of the Fling when I came across the link to your post. It is an awfully early date for seeing gardens here! There is always a bit of a lull between bulbs and perennials at the first of June. Fingers crossed that the gardens the organizers choose will be up to the standards of previous Flings.

20. I am so disappointed in those dates. When I heard the Fling was to be in Toronto, I was very excited, because it’s within a day’s drive for me (6 to 8 hours, depending on the wait at the border!), and I have a cousin there I could visit at the same time, as well as relatives in western New York. However, that’s the last week of school for my kids, and there’s usually all sorts of activities going on that a mom shouldn’t miss. So just pooey!

I would hope The Music Garden at Harbourfront Centre will be on the list of gardens they visit, even if it will be without me!