Open Gardens a Treat for the Public

Trial-gardens

What does that mean to you? Here in Western New York it pretty much means a summer-long string of gardens open to the public, where gardeners invite in the public on designated days to view their private gardens. Many times these gardens are larger than the city gardens of Garden Walk Buffalo being in surrounding towns and villages. Others, like above are public gardens that are open without special invitation. Garden Walk Buffalo gardens do participate as well, but these are gardens visitors might not venture to because of distance and time. They are well worth the gas it takes to get there.

I have shown some from the National Garden Festival already in these posts below. Each year I visit and post on Open Gardens and if you want to see more, click on Garden Walks in the menu and be taken to more gardens than you will ever have time for at one sitting.

Open-Garden-1

This garden has a woodland setting with many shade plants and a large selection of over 200 varieties of hosta. They sell hosta and other shade perennials. The home is a log house, which sits on a property with three natural ponds, in addition to a man-made water garden. Take your time through the images and imagine yourself walking the stone paths through this beautiful property.

Open-Garden-6

Each of these posts featured a garden so graciously opened to the public during Open Gardens. Hope you did not miss one.

Open-garden-2

Here you see some images from open gardens around our area. The one above and below was only open one day and not advertised. This garden was teeming with butterflies and hummingbirds.

Herb Garden of the Kenan Center in the gallery below.

So much of distinction can be found in the variety of gardens opened here during the summer. This garden is a herb garden sectioned off into what the herbs do, like medicinal, culinary, making dyes, fragrance, etc., and each section contains plants commonly grown for how the bed is labeled. There are over 100 varieties of herbs.

Carvings

There is some unique carved art found in gardens in our area. Rather than pull down the dead tree, they hired an artist to come and carve animals and birds. And real wildlife is very common to see also in the wildlife gardens.

The Lord's Garden

The Lord’s Garden a haven for wildlife.

I will be missing for a few weeks in September and hope you will look back through the over 760 posts on this blog. In my absence, please have a look at Garden Walks, Public Gardens and Fling Gardens for all the gardens I visit. I am sure there is plenty you have not seen. Or browse more Bees and Friends. Or Birds! Bird Chirps, Links to Popular Bird Posts 2014, Links to popular Bird Posts 2013, Links to Popular Bird Posts 2012, Links to Popular Bird Posts 2011. Enjoy.

Also check out Nature and Wildlife Pics. Some good stuff there too. Today… a great post. Feeding Birds and Pollinators – Not Always the Best Together.

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Walk Buffalo, Nature, photography, photos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Open Gardens a Treat for the Public

1. Excellent, as usuall. You will be missed but I shall go over your posts again. Enjoy your time, Donna. 😀

2. Lin Celoni says:

Enjoy your time away. You have brought a lot of beauty to the internet. Thanks

3. paxami says:

My what a treat to visit these gardens. How wonderful it must have been to visit in person. Be well and have a good time away. We’ll be here waiting for you. Sonja

4. Definitely some inspiration there! Enjoy your time away, Donna.

5. alesiablogs says:

There is no telling what kind of photos you will be sharing with us upon your return! Lovely photos as usual!

6. Great initiative! Congrats 🙂

7. Beautiful photos, Donna. I especially liked the first photo with the lighthouse, and the first large private garden that you shared. So beautiful and so well planned. Everything goes together great, too.

8. Such beautiful gardens. I love the wood carvings and the statuary in the gardens. I’m a “flower” person so gardens that feature more flowers then greenery are my favorite type of garden. Enjoy your time off in September and thank you for all that you share here.

9. Have a great time, Donna and come back soon. I’ll miss your posts, but I’ll take the opportunity to visit your older posts. Take care , my dear friend! 🙂 xx

10. You will be missed and stay well. I would never miss your posts…too beautiful and interesting to miss and I learn so much!!

11. Hope you have a good break and will certainly follow up some of your links as I find it so inspiring. We don’t have humming birds in Spain though but we might try some wood carving!

What a treat! I especially love the Glenwood Gardens, which are inspirational to me as a woodland gardener.

13. My Heartsong says:

Thanks for the invitation to browse through your older posts. Have a good time in the weeks to come. These are inviting and exquisitely -designed gardens.

14. Lula says:

Definitely open gardens are a treat for the gardens lover. Posting is a fantastic way to share the gardens in different countries. I have visited some this summer and will be posting inthe next days. Enjoy your time away!!

15. Beautiful post. I find the pictures of the gardens so inspiring. We’re looking at buying a house just outside London and for the first time in my life, I may have my own garden – it’s so exciting, I’ll be reading your blog lots for ideas of what to do in the garden.

16. It really is amazing to see how many wonderful gardens are available to see in Western New York. I look forward to your next post!

17. Kevin says:

You had me at the collection of hostas — and then I saw the daylily border. Beautiful — and thank you for sharing. Hope to see you soon.

18. bittster says:

The flowers are pretty but the shaded hostas are a truly restful garden scene. But I think you can’t have one without the other. Have a great trip!

19. I love your garden pics. That is the type of gardens I could get lost in. Not to mention have my morning ice coffee!! Thank you for sharing!

20. Aquileana says:

Amazingly beautiful gallery… Beautiful post, dear Donna.
    Thank you very much for sharing these ones with us.
    Best wishes to you, always, Aquileana 😛