On and On, Show Us Already

Re-tailed-Hawk-3

Red tailed Hawk photographed with the Nikon P510

What would you think if I go on and on about all the wildlife I see, like eagles flying overhead and big game wandering through my gardens? But not once did I ever photograph the said wildlife? Instead I show you some nameless country road or distant mountain and expect you to imagine this wealth of wildlife trotting down the asphalt route. I get a little disappointed when bloggers go on and on about all these cool animals and you never even see one photo! OK, that is off my chest now, so what is this post about?

Here are two eagles. Just had to show two eagles. Plus hawks are everywhere right now. Must be a hawk convention going on. Anyway…

Since I am off to Hawaii, I have been in a quandary over what camera to take. I also want to thank those commenting on Off to Maui in January. Your suggestions are most appreciated and very helpful.

I have found since getting bursitis in my shoulders and elbows I can’t carry heavy stuff anymore. I want to be in denial about this since bursitis is usually associated with older folks and I refuse to enter that group where everything hurts and doesn’t work anymore. Don’t want to, can’t make me.Β  But, sadly, I am carrying tiny stuff more and more.

I went out today and took along my tiny P510 to shoot wildlife, just to brush up on using it. I love the little camera, but it does have its limitations. I manually set the camera for shutter and aperture but cannot manually focus it. Bummer. That means it often misses a shot because auto focus can be rather slow for shooting wildlife. Too many shots are unusable because of poor focus. Missed auto focus is a missed moment.

Hawk12-9-14

Red-tailed Hawk on a different day – Nikon D7000 and 400mm lens

It does not have continuous shooting for birds in flight, so the birds fly out of the frame before it can snap a photo. Bummer. It does not handle panning to follow the action very well either. It buffers slow, so you have to wait for a second shot. Big bummer. The ISO can only be set to two ranges. I will so miss these things for action shots and those images in low light. Plus, I carry three batteries because it goes through them rapidly. Sounds a bit grim, huh?

One thing very nice about the P510 is the 42x zoom. It can even shoot further than my big camera and 400mm lens! Whether the resulting photo is blurry is sometimes a crap shoot. Another nice thing, it weighs like nothing!

Red-tailed Hawk Photographed with the Nikon P510. It was about 150 feet away and 70 feet up the tree.

The P510 really is a nice travel camera, but I still will miss some of the settings that allow me to take my nature pics. I have to wonder though, are these tiny cameras a sign of an aging population? They are everywhere now.

Since grousing is a thing those of advanced age do on occasion, see my funny post on Nature and Wildlife Pics. Married Life. Better hawk photos over there and having the big camera and 400mm lens, I paid the piper for those shots. Hand me the Naproxen I must be getting old.

This entry was posted in Birds, Travel, Wildlife and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to On and On, Show Us Already

1. johnvic8 says:

I feel it. I just missed a fantastic shot of a hawk in my back garden…I couldn’t run fast enough for the camera and couldn’t focus fast enough before it left. Bummer.

2. I complain about the very same issues with my P510, but still it is fine for all the reasons you say….sorry to hear about your bursitis.

• Yep, years of beating myself up in gymnastics, tennis, skiing and breaking and showing horses did me in. You’d think being active helps one have a long life, but it is the quality of that life that matters. Trade one quality for another. I wouldn’t trade all the adventure I had for anything though.

3. A valuable topic – I miss my long lens if I travel without it, but it takes up a lot of room in a carry-on and is heavy. I’ve been talking to fellow birders about the pros and cons of getting a smaller camera that has the features your P510 has, and the price would be less than just one new lens! I’ll be eager to watch your blog posts from your upcoming trip to the islands – Enjoy~

• I always am wishing I had the other camera no matter which one I leave home. In Europe I should have brought the small one since I saw almost no wildlife, that or my landscape lens. The 300mm was not as useful as I thought.

4. aussiebirder says:

Brilliant photography, I so love filming raptors, they are so majestic, especially in flight!

5. Your photographs of the eagles and the red-tailed hawk look beautiful to me, a non-photographer who uses only an iphone for pictures. I can understand wanting to travel light–no aches or pulled muscles on the day after arrival. Have fun in Maui, Donna. Happy New Year!

• I like to travel light anyway, but the problem this time is packing for three different climates. I think when I leave Buffalo, I might have layers of sweaters rather than a heavy coat. The only problem with that is at airport security. They may look suspiciously at me.

6. I think your photos are amazing! I just love observing wildlife, and it looks like you were in the right place at the right time.!

7. People have always wanted small cameras, no matter how young or old they are. I remember TV commercials years ago (now I’m dating myself) that showed how you could slip the camera into your pocket and I thought that was so cool. I hope the bursitis isn’t slowing you down.

• Thanks Connie. I just found out about the bursitis this year after I had an accident. I fell while in PA this year and when I got back my elbow was the size of a baseball. They wanted to do surgery saying it would not return to normal unless I had it fixed. Luckily, it did go back to normal. Only the pain persists. They did all these tests and found out I had advanced bursitis in the four joints from a life of heavy sports, hard work and injuries. I was wondering why I have had shoulder pain for years, now I know why. I have medicine to take, but unfortunately, can’t because of my heart problem, so … there are good days and then some really painful ones.

8. Take the P510! Your photograms of the Hawk and Eagles are absolutely clear and amazing. Besides that when I was looking for a lighter camera you had mentioned in one of your posts about the P510 and I purchased it. I still can’t get over the job that the small camera does and it is comparable to my larger telephoto lens so I thank you for that! http://www.landscapedesignbylee.blogspot.com

• I think I am taking the P510. I know I would feel less encumbered with it. I did just buy a new D750 today and took it out after purchase. I am so amazed at this camera with resolution. I need a bit of practice with it, but am looking forward to using it. It is full frame so now my FX lenses will have the right camera.

9. Roger Brook says:

Sorry about the old age thing. We find life gets sweeter as we age (now73) and gardening is such a healthy lifestyle. The only medication we take is high dose vit D.

10. Gorgeous shots, the detail you captured is outstanding.

11. No one captures wildlife through a lens better than you, Donna! Sorry to hear about the bursitis and the heart issues. But any camera in your hands and with your eye will produce excellent results! The rest of us can only dream of such greatness. Sorry for a little break in comments. My side of the family had an out-of-town graduation and an early Christmas celebration this past weekend, so it was a mad rush to get everything ready. I will head over to your previous post about Maui, because … well, it’s Maui and you are so lucky! πŸ˜‰

12. Great photos anyway. I do find I use my iPhone a lot more but it isn’t so good for birds. I need my big camera for that. You do get used to a certain camera and it’s capabilities and then miss it on the smaller ones. Take care and rest and then it will improve. πŸ˜€

13. Pat says:

For its size and convenience it does a great job. These are beautiful shots.

14. Sunnyheart says:

Wow… Amazing shots!! If i had your camera, maybe i could actually ” prove” all my incredible sightings. πŸ™‚ hee, hee

15. I have no doubt you will come back from Hawaii with amazing shots. As to those who talk about wildlife without pictures, some of us have to rely on others to take the pictures. I am pretty hopeless when it comes to photographing wildlife. Sometimes I cheat and use a picture Judy took on an earlier date.

• Judy is a good photographer. You are lucky to have her! I did have a particular blogger in mind with my opening paragraph, but I will never tell who it is. I think I just get a bit amused how often this person talks about eagles, and I never saw one photographed. This person also is a “pro”.

I’d go for comfort and not hurting your shoulder. Whatever photos you take on your trip we will enjoy.