The Day Before I Left… I Found… Harry Potter’s Pet

Snowy-on-Post-3

Check out my nature blog, Nature and Wildlife Pics to see the four Snowy Owls a group of us found. Of course… the better photos and story on NaWP. I will see you when I get back! Have a great holiday season.

Rain and storms in PA, so I doubt I will get much photography done. If you think the owls are very cool, I am headed to Conowingo Dam in Maryland to see if I see eagles. I may not be able to photograph them, but seeing them would be a thrill.

Conowingo is less than one hour from where I am staying, so the trip will be fun. I have a new camera too! More on that when I return. I did take the images of the owls with it and you will be amazed at how far away the owls were and the enlarged images I produced. I show this on NaWP. It is a full frame camera so my 400mm lens is actually 400mm not the 600mm of my crop-sensor camera.

Conowingo is known for a high concentration of eagles plus gulls in winter months. But being from Niagara Falls, I doubt they have more gulls than we do. I checked their list of gulls and it pretty much matches those found here. If I see the rarer gulls like the Laughing Gull, I will be pleased though.

This entry was posted in Nature, photography, photos and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Day Before I Left… I Found… Harry Potter’s Pet

1. Mike Powell says:

Wow! That is an amazing shot of a gorgeous bird. There really seems to be something magical about snowy owls. Good luck with the eagles.

2. Annette says:

Stunning! You know we’re surrounded by owls and hear them all night but they’re so hard to spot. Well done, Donna 🙂

Fabulous photo! How exciting to get a new camera. You have become such an accomplished photographer, and I look forward to seeing what you do with it! I still have not mastered all that my own camera offers, and when I see you images, I feel a bit guilty at my laziness. Perhaps you have given me a New Year’s resolution, and one I may keep!

• Thanks Deb. My new camera has many settings in the same place as the D7000. I did not even have to look up any of them. The other camera I was looking at had everything different, plus it was not as fast for wildlife. Learning all the camera does takes time. I had my D7000 since it came out, so I learned everything it did.

4. Victor Ho says:

I hope you were fortunate to get the Nikon D750. Great shot. i have never been fortunate enough to see an owl. And in my time in Maine I only saw an eagle once. No pic. Good luck.

• I did! I was weighing the D810 since they made it a bit faster, but for the price difference, it was not worth all those pixels. I think 36 is a bit too many for me, slowing the camera down. I saw an eagle today! I was driving, so no chance for a photo.

5. What a gorgeous bird – so soft. Your image makes me feel that I could reach out and touch its lovely feathers.

6. That is a beautiful owl. Great shot.

7. Great photo and I look forward to seeing photos. 😀

8. What a beautiful shot. Enjoy the Christmas break and look forward to more news and about your new camera.

9. Rose says:

What a beautiful bird! Enjoy your trip–I hope you have success in seeing the eagles and get some photos to share. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, Donna!

10. Can’t wait to hear about the camera and eagles…we have them living here on the lake and we see them flying overhead occasionally. Have fun Donna!

• Thanks, Donna. I saw an eagle near Syracuse on my way to PA. It was a young bald eagle. I see the ones at Montezuma and Iroquois each spring. I always visit there with the birders each year. Where I am going is not where they breed, but where they feed over winter. They have recorded more than 100 eagles at one time. Now they say there is about 20-30 of them.

11. That is such an amazing photo, so typical of your work all year long. Now is probably the best time to say how much I have enjoyed all of your posts this year and to wish you and those who are close to you a merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year full of special days.

12. Joy Blore says:

I’m down here in Aus and was looking up March Flies which are driving me mad and was astounded by your blog and incredible photos. And now I am here. I have a New Years Resolution now. Start a blog in 2015 and try to emulate in a small way, very small way your amazing blog and pics. You are such an inspiration.