Play, a Path to Creativity – Lessons of Nature

Otter-Dive

Thursday Thoughts

Did you ever wish you had a carefree life?

One full of fun and play? I don’t think there is an animal that enjoys life through play as much as an otter.

Otter-Play

When one thinks of it, gardening is a bit like play. It gives grownups an excuse to spend time in nature-based play. A way to interact with the environment, shape it to desire and need. A way to keep one feeling young, energetic and it helps strengthen mental health.

Some find the understanding of themselves through gardening by expanding their knowledge of the physical world. I never quite understood this deep developmental growth for adults, but some believe they have experienced enlightenment through gardening.

Otter-Bubbles

I do find the creative process based in play, inspiration a step to enlightenment though. I talked about play and the creative process here on GWGT before, but I think seeing it in nature really drives home the concept. Creativity in many artistic fields requires interaction between collaborators, and that is something taught in nature too.

Otter-Play-1

I think these critters give a bit of infectious happiness to life. Who could not smile at their antics? Being happy just opens the mind to creative possibility.

Otter-Play-2

On Nature and Wildlife Pics I am doing posts on Lessons of Nature, starting with things we can’t control. Follow along for Thursday Thoughts and add your own thoughts on how we learn from nature. I think it would be a very long and almost endless list. Other Thursday Thoughts:

Why is it that a day of the week makes one think more deeply?

This entry was posted in garden, photography, photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Play, a Path to Creativity – Lessons of Nature

1. Nick Hunter says:

Very cool shots. Fun!

2. I love your blog! And these animal shots are so adorable! πŸ™‚

3. I like these Thursday Thoughts. πŸ™‚ I agree that fun opens the mind and soul to creativity. I find it in gardening, but also in nature. Animals play naturally as much as they work and strive to survive. We can learn so many lessons from them. πŸ˜‰

4. diggingher says:

What fabulous photos.

5. Adults do need to play. Thanks for the reminder!

6. Those otter shots are awesome. Such fun creatures.

7. Great action shots…You did such a marvelous job of showing the amazing detail of these animals and at the same time getting them to express that joy of life you talked about. I really love what you can do with a camera.

8. Astounding photography! If you’re ever in London you should visit the otters at the Wetlands Centre and the amazing wildlife there. You’ll have a field day. Otter families are such fun to watch.

9. Otters are my favorites to watch when we go to the Aquarium. I could sit there and be entertained by them for hours. I agree watching the antics of wildlife in the garden be it the squirrels, birds, or chipmunks, is amusing and lightens the spirit. Since I’ve been absent from blogging I’ll have to go back and read your other posts on your Thursday Thoughts.

10. Awwww: ‘infectious happiness to life’ indeed!!!! I can’t think of anyone not getting an instant smile seeing them and what gorgeous photos, Donna! Thank you for brightening my day! πŸ™‚

11. Rose says:

Amazing photos, Donna! I’m away from home, but even on the small screen of my iPad, these photos are so clear and delightful. I know that even watching my dogs play is infectious and puts a smile on my face.

12. The moment I stopped taking myself seriously was when I became happier. As for playtime, its being out in the garden. Absolutely love the clarity of those shots.

13. Indie says:

I absolutely adore watching otters when we go to the aquarium. So very cheerful! Being outside in the garden is a stress-relief for me – all my cares seem to melt away while caring for the plants and just enjoying being outside.

14. Your photos were so beautiful and entertaining! I also liked your comparison of gardening to having fun. It certainly is all about that, and seeing it in nature as well. If you’re not having fun gardening than you need to find another hobby!

15. Gardening is not only a very creative process for me but also an intellectual one. Add in the exercise, fresh air, and stress release and you have a pretty complete package.

16. Maybe because Thursday is guru day in Hindi and might make us reflect! I like the idea though of watching nature closely and commenting. Will be back soon to my woodland but then not much wifi for joining in but will try on Thursdays!

17. Denise says:

That last photograph is a work of art.

18. Lula says:

I have a theory about Thursdays, seems to be the day everything gets solved, at list in the culture I live now. Anyway your post is inspiring, looking forward to reading the series.

19. So true, gardening is like play.. I have always thought that. When my kids were real young, it was mud they enjoyed playing with. I must say castles and many other items came to life with this fun.

20. It seems we have both been thinking about play lately….nature certainly is one of my role models for life and play.