Enjoying Maui

imageWhen we arrived in Maui, …

we heard the crashing of the waves and felt the warmth of the tropical sun. Our first day was spent learning our way around the island and sitting on the beaches. The second day, we took the drive to Hana, a famous windy route filled with interesting and beautiful places to stop.

image

A common thing one sees on the Hawaiian islands is surfing. It really is a fascinating sport and one I myself could never learn. Where we were watching the surfers had huge rocks all along the shore. It was not those pretty beach rocks seen at our condo beach above, but these big babies here. The little dots bobbing are surfers.

imageThe waves were rough to me too and rather large.

imageToday, we were out driving around the island. We went through the rainforest where it rained excessively to see many waterfalls, some of which were somewhat difficult to get to. We made our way through a bamboo forest, over large boulders, and through fast-moving streams to see water falling into sparkling, gem-like colored streams.

One waterfall was more pretty than the next.

imageAlthough it rained quite a bit, it was a great day.

imageA rainbow started a day with whales and sea turtles seen numerous times which was quite a treat, but watching the surfing was a lot of fun. Tomorrow, we hope to go snorkeling.  I hope to find some interesting things you may enjoy and will do my best to get them posted. By the way, I did see Northern Cardinals.

image

Just a note. Some of your blogs I can not access. I tried quite a few times. It may be the iPad or our modem here at the condo. I will make my best effort to see your posts, but sorry if your blogs are those of which I have been having trouble.

This entry was posted in Nature, photography, photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Enjoying Maui

1. lucindalines says:

Just enjoy your time in Hawaii. You can read blogs when you are at home!

2. Have a great time, my dear Donna …something I’m sure is going to be an easy task! 🙂

3. So happy to hear you are enjoying Maui and that you spotted the Northern Cardinals as you had hoped! Your photographs are wonderful!

4. johnvic8 says:

they call the rain “pineapple dew.” Enjoy.

5. rose says:

Oh how gorgeous! You picked the perfect time to go to Hawaii, too. We may have missed the big snowstorm that hit the Northeast last week, but one is headed for the Midwest tonight and tomorrow. Watching surfers on a warm beach sounds heavenly:)

6. Hawaii is high on my wish list. We could use that weather now as Michael and I are down with the flu. Nicky went to Maine last weekend and ended up stuck in the blizzard and missing three days of school before he could catch a flight.

7. Gussieboo says:

While people think now is the perfect time to go to Hawaii, it really isn’t. This is also their winter, and although the temps are still nicer than here, this is the rainy season there. In a few short months, the spring is there and with it the beautiful splendor of Hawaii can really be enjoyed. Maui has some really fantastic orchid farms, some ship directly to you and you can arrange to have orchids shipped home as well. My sister is a teacher and modeling agent on Maui, it really is beautiful year round. Two things, try to hike to the Waimoku Falls, as a photographer you’ll love the small waterfalls and pools that cut through the jungle! If you’re really adventurous, go and find the gravesite of Charles Lindberg. The church is hard to find and his grave is overlooking the ocean, one of his favorite places in the world, so it was only fitting that he was buried there!

8. Your photos are delightful! There is so much to see and enjoy there on Maui. I think Hawaii actually gets the most rainfall of all our states (not sure of that statistic but I remember hearing something like that), and it usually doesn’t last that long and dries up pretty fast. Enjoy your well deserved vacation.

9. aussiebirder says:

When I told my wife you had gone to Hawaii, and that there were no snakes, she has been begging me to take her there, she said it is on her bucket list 🙂 Thanks for sharing your lovely pics Donna!

10. Great post. Maui looks incredible. Cant wait to visit Hawaii. Thanks for sharing.

11. Indie says:

Oh, that just sounds so beautiful, with all the waterfalls and turtles and whales! I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii. One of these days! Relax and enjoy!

12. It all sounds– and looks– so wonderful! I can’t imagine how anyone can learn to surf. And who was the first person to think of surfing? It’s amazing to me just to see it.

13. Loretta says:

So beautiful, gorgeous photography too!

I wish I were there! You brought back some great memories of when we visited Hawaii: the rainbows and waterfalls and all the gorgeous scenery. I am amazed at how surfers can ride those enormous waves. I would be terrified of the rocks. When we were in Hawaii a couple of very amateur surfers were hurt badly when they were thrown upon some of those rocks.

15. Water beautiful color! Would you please send a few of those beach boulders back to me? 😉
    Would love to see a photo of Northern Cardinal…really same as ours? Be safe!

16. For myself, I can’t see snorkeling any more than surfing. But enjoy it – and the rest of your trip in Maui! Keep posting pictures!

17. Gorgeous pictures…Concentrate on having a good time.

18. Awesome! Wish I were there right now.

19. Absolutely stunning especially the colors of vegetation, beach and ocean….enjoy your stay and soak up as much warmth as you can!

20. igardendaily says:

What a great time! I too, love Hana and we always stay there for a few days since it takes so long to get to that part of the island. Have fun!

21. Lula says:

Well, looks like you are having great time away from the snow, beautiful landscapes, enjoy them!!!

22. Waterfalls and rainbows – paradise! 🙂

23. Ok, you planted the seed! I just booked the whole month of March practically in Hawaii! I needed to get somewhere warm! I hope to come back, but if a job pops up, who knows!