Fog is So Storybook – Bloggers’ Fixation with Weather

Foggy-woods

People blame their problems on the weather, some are clever, some are amusing, but most whine and grouse with a huge dollop of negativity.

Sure dense fog can numb your spirits. It can symbolize emotion like loneliness, sadness or be mesmerizing, even stimulating. I chose the latter myself.

Why is it bloggers write about weather so often?

Much of it is to complain, fewer to express the beauty of the season in which they find themselves. I bet the weather sets records this week for complaining about the weather. Yep, we are all freezing our tokuses off this week. I write on weather often, but is there a way to do it better? Hmmm.

DriftsSnow

We chat a lot about weather even when there really is little to say. It is like having a polite conversation with someone you don’t know and all you have to discuss is the weather. In fact, it can be the most tedious conversation ever.

Amish-Field

We take weather for granted until it smacks us right in the face with extremes. Most stay toasty indoors. If they never go outside, why complain? It’s not like they’re bulldozed out into the stormy weather, yet one always hears how cold, windy and snowy it is outside.

Niagara-Falls-2-16-15-13

Some bloggers pepper weather talk with quotes and clichés rather than being original with events pertinent to their experience which keeps the readers reading. It is like weather stifles creativity.

Alesia'sGarden-3

Not being a writer by any stretch, I rely on images. I am not one for fancy metaphor or poetic flowery description, but I do like bloggers that write this way.

Do you know mist and rime are related to fog? The water particle size is different and also the way each is formed, but they do share water in the air.

My posts rely on you putting yourself in the story of the image, soaking in the mood, forming the emotion you wish to find. On occasion, I will put words into action though.

Foggy-PA-Field

By showing the weather as opposed to writing about it, readers can visualize the experience as if it is affecting them.

Alesia'sGarden-5

How does it feel to you? Are you feeling the shroud of fog coloring everything around it?

Alesia'sGarden

As February rolled in, Seattle mornings were shrouded in fog. I rarely see such pretty fogs in my area, but in Pennsylvania and Washington State, the fog becomes art. Both winter locations were a far cry from winter in Niagara Falls, but all three have a beauty unique to themselves. Next post… Seattle weather. I bet, not what you think.

Foggy-Road

How is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Nature and Wildlife PicsEndangered Waterbirds and Wind Farms on West Maui Mountains.

This entry was posted in Blogging, garden, Nature, photography, photos, Weather and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Fog is So Storybook – Bloggers’ Fixation with Weather

1. You know what my weather is….snow and cold. But I try not to whine and be negative. I try to look at the beauty. Your pictures are pure poetry…..you write with pictures and I write with words. But I find weather more fascinating, creative, beautiful and uplifting which is why I write about it more often especially in poetry.

2. Beautiful pics! I love weather. Thunder, lightening, rain, snow, fog, you name it. The world would be a very dreary place without it!

3. diggingher says:

I could almost feel the briskness of of the cold air in your photos. Freezing here in CT, but spring is coming!

4. Elisa says:

It is beauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful!! I am soooo glad that you took these and did some of the freezing for me, as my health doesn’t allow freezing short of breath excursions, which make me more out of shape and less….and it gives me great joy to see it and to know what it looks like from my chair!

I don’t know how anyone could complain about the types of weather shown in your beautiful photographs! I try not to let cold temperatures get me down, but it really starts to wear on my nerves by February. I’m ready for spring!

It’s snowy here, though not by Buffalo standards. It was enough snow to make Philly area schools close for the day.

• Thank you. The fog was hard to drive through that morning in PA, but boy was it pretty Dec. 24. Here winter starts getting old in March. Spring does not come to our area like it does in PA. It takes its good old time.

6. aussiebirder says:

Wow, I love what the snow and ice do to the landscape, it is so storybook beautiful Donna! Gorgeous shots!

• We have that look at the Falls almost all winter, but it does not look that way elsewhere around here. The trees get iced up from the mist of the Falls. Today my camera was like a popsicle in ice. I did not realize it was getting so frosty. The mist does not always blow, but was today.

7. alesiablogs says:

I love the fog here in Seattle when I do not have to go anywhere! WE have had record high temperatures. IT was 61 today and sunny. It was absolutely stunning. I am enjoying it! I think I even forgot to take a Vitamin D pill today because I was feeling so good. A good story can always be told with the fog coming in! Spooky to Romantic…Name your fiction! haha

8. David says:

The lone snow covered tree is a really nice shot; well seen and captured.

9. Ah – so it isn’t just us Brits who talk about the weather a lot then? I guess if people aren’t poetic,’arty’ or photographers, the weather is what it is … causing difficulties and disruption to their probably already difficult lives. We are so blessed if we can appreciate the beauty in it all ….. Your pictures are beautiful as always Donna and a joy to look at. I’ve been waiting all winter for it to snow here ( South East England) so that I can photograph it …. It’s been quite mild weather on the whole. God bless, Eileen

• I was thinking about the Seattle and the UK when I wrote the post. All that rain can make one really sour on the weather. When visiting Seattle, most of the time it was raining. They have such a reputation for abundant rainfall, but I found out it is not as much as everyone thinks. They did have rain everyday we were in Maui and then when we got back, so it really made me think the jokes about rain in Seattle were true. In my area, Buffalo finally shook off the joking of the blizzard of ’77, them it got Snowvember with 72″ of snow in three days of November, 2014. Places where constant precipitation and gray skies are common, I can understand why people grow tired of it.

10. I love your fog photos. I think I would look at those conditions, say “ugly light.” and leave my camera in the bag. Yes, the weather around here has been very cold and very snowy, but at least it’s interesting. I was talking to someone visiting Florida this week, where they sat by the pool wearing jackets in 50-degree weather. Boring!

• Thank you. The Niagara River was pretty cool with that “smoke on the water” look too. Rime fog is amazing. I looked at that pinkish glow through the fog in the very early morning on the PA country road and was thinking that is the best light possible. My only other thought was why could I have not been someplace better, like being on a clearing overlooking the valley? I was in the mountains, but there was no clearing to the valley below where I was at the moment – and photography is all about moments.

11. It’s a matter of perspective and -as with almost everything- one can find beauty in the harshest weather and you are a master at that, my dear Donna! 🙂 Gorgeous photos.
    We are under a very frosty weather [not very common even for this season] and although I do enjoy cold and snow, I am on alert for my little balcony garden which is not taking it kindly! Due to extreme cold winds there was no way to protect them from frost either, so …fingers crossed.

• I hope your balcony plants make it through your cold spell. I never realized you would get frosty weather there. Someday I need to visit your beautiful country.

• We do usually get some snow [even if it’s only for a few days] every year, however this year we had the ‘arctic’ front reach us, 3-4 times so far with extreme temperatures and snow covering even the center of Athens accompanied by fierce north winds [chairs were flying off the balcony!]. The sun is out today. I hope you do visit someday. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the very diverse landscapes and wildlife here. 🙂
        PS balcony plants all covered with snow, but it looks like they’re holding on…

• It is funny we do not get the weather abroad here in the States unless destruction accompanies it, yet it seems even our common weather makes world news. Again a newspaper in the UK said Niagara Falls is frozen which it is NOT! I saw something like that headline a few days ago and it is when I took these photos. The article made me go to the Falls two days in a row. The snow and cold here is not very unusual and Niagara Falls just does not freeze solid like the media abroad seems to think.

12. Indie says:

I love fog, it is such a mood changing weather phenomenon! Trees look lovely with the snow, all the branches outlined in white. Last winter was tough for me personally, as I was not used to it and struggling with depression, but this winter has not bothered me nearly so much, thankfully. It was actually a nice mild winter here in Boston until this month when it decided to make up for it all at once 🙂

• You did get quite the winter weather this past week. I have a friend that suffers through winter. I feel bad when she gets depressed from having little light in winter. She uses the light lamp to help. I really like when our trees get that icy coating. I like the soft snow on them too. It has been snowing all day here after having all the snow that we got the past week.

13. We don’t get snow like that, and rarely are the trees covered in hoar frost. I do love watching the mist or rain roll in from the sea. Today the rain has stopped and the sun is warming the tired “lawn”

• I like rain by the sea too. It seems so relaxing at least when it is not gale force. Our trees get that ice coating almost the whole winter when it is cold enough. So much mist from the Falls creates it.

14. Kevin says:

I read this post with a grin. First, I take it you’re not in Hawaii anymore. 🙂 Second, now that I’m in zone 10, weather talk is the first sentence in most of my conversations with friends and family up north. I cringe when I tell them the temperature is 80 degrees and I’m planting bulbs or mowing the lawn. By the way, a cold front is coming through as I type this. Forecasters promise that we will see the coldest temps of the season tonight. For zone 10, that’s in the upper 40s with daytime temps in the 60s. By the weekend, It will be in the 70s once again.

• You have to be happy in FL now. The storm this week has been rather snowy. I do bet you talk weather much there now that you are warm and they have the snow. They must be jealous. I would like to go outside and pick fresh fruit for breakfast. I guess you can do that most of the year.

15. Your photos always amaze me! You certainly have a gift. Thank you for braving the cold weather around Niagara Falls to take those pictures and share them with us.
    As far as bloggers writing about the weather- sometimes I think we have to write about the weather because it’s just another beautiful aspect of nature.

• I love weather changing and it is why I like living in the Northeast. We do get the best of the seasons, color in fall, summers not as hot, spring can be nice if it lasts too with all the migrating birds. Winter is always one I look forward too.

16. Oh yes, you are a writer! And an incredibly talented photographer, too! I find the weather fascinating, so I do write about it occasionally. I thought about being a meteorologist when I was a kid. I admit–I do whine about the long winter. But just about any other weather is too interesting for whining. Wow–your fog photos–just wow!

17. bittster says:

I missed these pictures this winter, glad to see some snow and ice showing up just in time!

• We had a light winter until recently. It started out in November with a lot of snow, then very little. None at Christmas. Then January it started in until it really hit us in February. When I was in Maui was when it really started getting to snow everyday.

18. Cathy says:

Fabulous photos (as usual) Donna. I lived in Massachusetts until this past September and the garden and meadow and woods during and after a snowstorm are a vision… as if God took a paintbrush and dusted everyone with glitter dust. We saw a lot of fog — morning mist, really — over the meadow in the mornings spring and fall, and occasional pea soup fog during the summer, but nothing like the fog we see here in California. For the past couple of weeks, the fog has been a daily event and I have to admit, I find it ethereal… like being in the clouds. Your photos are amazing… they perfectly
    capture the purity and the mysteriousness of fog.

• Thank you Cathy. I agree with you, the gardens here in the North usually are designed to maximize the winter weather. The trees in snow can be such a sight with fresh snow. I love the fog and I did see it in San Francisco where it was quite amazing. You described it perfectly, “like being in the clouds.”

19. what a joy it is to view your posts! the images are always a feast for the eyes!

how lucky that i’m staying at friends’ home where the internet is fast! wow! all images loaded, and theyh loaded fast!

the snow is lovely, but wow, i’m glad i live in tropical america! sending you vibes of classic palm shadows and sunshine!

• Thank you Z. Coming back recently from a tropical climate, I can say I would have been happy to winter there for a change. The snow really was a surprise on my return, having a pretty mild winter up to then. Now the snow will not let up.

20. I’m a grouchy grouser when it comes to the weather. Can’t help it. When the winter drags on and spring delayed, I complain. When there is bitter cold, I complain. When there is drought or waterlogged soil, I complain. I like to think that I also appreciate good weather, but weather is more noticeable when it is doing something I don’t like. It’s hard not to write about weather, especially as a gardener, since it is the element that surrounds us, shapes the nature of our daily experiences, and regulates the growth of our gardens.

• I bet you are like most, having the weather up front in your thoughts when it is something one does not want. I agree too on having a garden makes one more in tune with weather and what is predicted. Also like you mentioned, it shapes daily experiences like when it is nice enough to be in the garden. I find I only care when I am traveling by plane. I really hate to get stuck in airports or on runways for extended times.

But I do have to add though that weather in our gardens and the nature that surrounds us is helped greatly by the gardener. We control water amounts, how the plants get sun, the soil they are planted in, the minerals plants receive, the insects and birds that are attracted to it with all the plants that are installed. Not much happens as nature would intend. The hand of the gardener always has the last say in gardens. If a garden is wiped out by storms, a new one quickly follows if humans are still around to replace it. The nature in gardens is always a created nature, not one that would be there without our involvement. Even natural gardening is not natural. I never look at gardens as true nature for this reasoning. It is a different kind of nature.

21. Beautiful Captures 🙂 It has been in the 60’s here lately – enjoying it. Happy Day!

22. Les says:

Oh I do love the fog, and when I see it, I grab the camera. It’s ironic that the photographer in me is often muttering under his breath on brilliantly sunny afternoons and longs for a cloud or two, while the rest of me revels in the warmth.

• I look to have my camera too. We just get fog so infrequently that I get excited when I see it elsewhere. Oh, I wish I could pick the place I am when I run into fog. It lifts so fast when the sun appears that one is stuck getting a photo at the spot they are located most often. I seem to run into it driving and cannot pull of busy roads to get a great shot. In Seattle, Lake Washington was stunning in the fog, but we were on a busy highway, so no stopping.

Your photos and lovely as always. The weather in my neck of the woods is terrible and I’m the first to admit that I’ve complained about it on my last post. Winter can be very beautiful in its pristine white coat of snow but I am personally looking forward to the beauty of spring when our orchard will be in bloom.

• Thank you, Karen. I have been following the news on weather in NE. They have taken a pounding unfortunately. Today we are very cold as well (-1°) and snow just does not seem to have an end in sight. Even in the Middle East (Jerusalem) they got a foot of snow. We have been lucky so far, not losing electricity or heat.

24. Yes, Donna, I started my latest posting talking about the weather — I’m guilty as charged. I do believe some of this negativity is cultural, as I was born and raised in England, where every conversation MUST begin with the weather (as explained by the anthropologist Kate Fox in her hilarious book, ‘Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour.’) I also believe my obsession with the weather has deepened with my age and infirmity. I so much want to go out and take beautiful pictures, but am no longer able to do this — I appreciate the beauty of ice, snow, and fog (I really do) but can’t enjoy it like I used to. Stunning captures, dear friend! P. x

• Thanks, Pam. I do know those in the UK talk about the weather quite a bit. I guess when you get a lot of rain, it becomes second nature to joke about it. When weather is less accommodating, it becomes harder to face the elements as we all get older too. I know myself that I feel less and less like dressing for the snow and cold. I combine errands so as to only get bundled up a couple times a week, rather than every day like I used to when going to work outside my home.

It is winter here! I have longed for fog! My winter landscape is mostly mushy browns and grays, no pristine white snow or icy jewels hanging from branches. But fog can transform an ordinary scene into something ethereal and magical, just as your photos show.

26. Your foggy photos are beautiful and speak for themselves with such magic and mystery.

27. Emily Scott says:

People say the British talk a lot about weather. I think because it is so changeable. We could start the day with cold rain and end with warm sunshine – removable layers are the key. Sometimes watching the weather has a practical purpose, for instance in the summer I’m always watching the forecast to see if it will be warm enough to inspect my bees at the weekend.

I especially like your first photo of trees in fog, makes me want to be there. And I like your writing too.