I Bet You Thought It Always Rains in Seattle

Chihuly-Museum-7

When I first flew into Seattle…

Sky-View-Into-Seattle

it was a beautiful sunny day. I just arrived as the sun was setting over the Cascade Mountains, illuminating the sky in warm, comforting color. With prayers the next day would be radiant and rain free, to my delight the day had cheerfully warm weather, perfect for a tourist to see the city. This is a city you come to regardless of the weather because it really is one not to miss.

Seattle

Of course, one place I wanted to see was what every tourist to Seattle sees – The Seattle Center. It is 74 acres of visual overload, wild color, exceptionally odd art and noteworthy architecture like nowhere else.

The Space Needle sees to that! A marvelously tall feat of engineering, it is one of the best places to have an overview of the city. Each image needs a view in the galleries, all worth the click to see slide-show style. We got to Seattle Center by taking the futuristic monorail’s one mile long ride.

Although I did not tour the many museums being on limited time before travel to Maui, they really were beckoning me into their dazzling interiors, especially the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum. I did not pay to get into the Chihuly Museum complex, so all the images are from outside the museum unfortunately, but they still are beautiful in my opinion. I am sure I would have had a more complete view of the art and structure. If we would have visited at night when they light it up, that would have been spectacular.

The other building I wanted to see was the Frank Gehry EMP Museum celebrating music from the area. The building sits prominently in Seattle Center like a giant reflective metal sculpture. Like all Gehry buildings, it really calls attention to itself in such an architecturally flamboyant way.  I will let you marvel at the beauty here as you take your time clicking through the galleries.

Do you too want to visit Seattle now? About that rain…after my city trip… it rained and rained, and we then flew off to sunny Maui. On Nature and Wildlife Pics, the bird count gone awry.

This entry was posted in Architecture, Art, garden, photography, photos, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to I Bet You Thought It Always Rains in Seattle

1. swo8 says:

Great pictures Donna. I didn’t know how lovely the Cascade Mountains were.
    Leslie

2. aussiebirder says:

Great post Donna, thanks for sharing this city.

3. alesiablogs says:

Love all the photos. Imagine all that sun you saw! Wonderful, wonderful post about Seattle’s Center. Thanks for bringing it to life for us your readers…When are you going back?????

4. I was there once, but only for a stopover. For the few hours I was there, I enjoyed sunshine from inside the airport.

5. bittster says:

Beautiful, even more so in the sunshine, but I feel like a nice drizzle would have really given you the full effect! That and a couple hours at a café or brewery 🙂

6. Thank you for sharing this wonderful city Donna. Everything I hear and read about Seattle centers around its amazing art and gardens, and I would love to visit there someday. You were fortunate to have sunshine and get those amazing shots of the Cascade Mountains as well.
    Visit My Latest Post: http://landscapedesignbylee.blogspot.com/

7. I visited Seattle years ago but like you didn’t have time to explore. It looks beautiful.

8. Phil Lanoue says:

Very interesting scenes, thanks for the tour!

9. I loved the tour! I lived in the Seattle area in the 70’s and it has changed a lot! I have lots of great memories of the Space Needle and hiking Mt. Rainer.

10. Yes, I would like to visit Seattle sometime. I still think of “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” when I think of Seattle. The theme song for the TV show had an opening line, “The bluest skies you’ll ever see are in Seattle…” But my dad was stationed there for awhile during the Korean War, and he said the weather was terribl. So my impressions are mixed. Your photos show Seattle’s true beauty. Love that first photo of Mt. Rainier!

11. My brother lived in and around Seattle for many years and we visited many times….I love the Seattle area although his biggest complaint wasn’t the rain but the gray days….there is a competition between Syracuse and Seattle….and it seems Syracuse was winning with most gray cloudy days. I am happy to let Seattle win the competition.

12. Beautiful views of the City from the Space Needle. I love Chiculy’s work. We saw his work a few years back in the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. It’s just amazing.

13. luminouszest says:

have you been to the Olympic peninsula?

14. I think the Seattle Bureau of Tourism should hire you!! Beautiful images of so many aspects of your visit. The setting sun over the mountains is exquisite.

15. graciamc says:

Loved seeing my city through your eyes and your beautiful photographs!

16. Pingback: Concerns Simply Drop Away | alesiablogs

17. Lula says:

I like very much your pictures of Seattle on a sunny day without rain.