The Beauty of Gardens Everywhere

Garden Walk Buffalo Gardens

Garden Walk Buffalo Gardens

Does that title not make you hope for a beautiful post? A post I did a while back got a particular comment that made me drop my stylus. As you know, GWGT takes you on tour of gardens I visit, showing you some of the one thousand open-gardens in my area. Now for a little blog etiquette.

Shade-Garden

Beautiful example of a shade garden and its natural path.

I wanted to write this post in a humorous manner, then decided not to belittle the importance of the message. Sometimes what people say in comments can make one not want to share. I bet it happens to you too where people comment without thinking how others perceive their remarks.

I prefer honesty though, yet have to consider how the remarks are seen by owners of the gardens I feature.

Below-Windows

Great use of flowers that keep from blocking the window.

Looking for an offending comment would be difficult among over 800 posts and 26,000 comments. I deleted that comment after the owner complained.

Sometimes the photos do not do a garden justice, but that is the fault of the photographer, not the garden owner. And yes, there are gardens you might just question “Why on earth?” I have seen a few of those, but there is always something to be found of interest, even if the unusual or oddity is what is engaging.

Garden-Ornamant

This faux pas was not on a recent post but it prompted that post and this one.  Please be considerate when GWGT is featuring gardens like you see in this post. They are all gardens from my area. I never realized that I would have a problem with comments until I did. It has been why I have been posting fewer gardens.

Inoffensive comments making garden owners shake their heads are those that say things like “I only like my own garden,” or those that endlessly babble on about their own garden without even a brief word on the featured garden. We bloggers love hearing about the commenting person’s own garden, but just not on a post about a homeowner’s featured private garden – unless the comment relates to it directly. By omission or lack of acknowledgement, it creates a similar upsetting feeling. I just gave up worrying on questionable comments, but garden owners look at them much differently.

Bloggers have every right to their opinion, but should consider how far-reaching words travel. I prefer some discretion.

Wonderful entries.

It thought hard on why this person would dismiss the gardens in the post. The comment was representing a much bigger issue. Comments on GWGT are read by garden owners. Imagine your own garden getting disparaging remarks!

How to incorporate ornament and use arches.

I have gardens that show just about any type of gardening, some I have designed and others I visit. I have to be sensitive to posting them as a designer because I often know the owners of the gardens posted. A couple of the “famous” gardens have linked to my posts about them. I could turn off comments but that ruins the fun and authenticity of blogging.

In the post The Biltmore Estate Gardens Asheville, NC, I countered a popular blogger’s negative post, Beautiful, But Kind of a Yawn, that appeared right after the Fling trip to North Carolina. I am not sure why they said “Beautiful” in the title, because they took issue with so much at Biltmore. Designing estate gardens myself, that post was very offensive and the “following like sheep” comments even worse.

Plant partnering and great use of color combinations.

Famous gardens do get comments. Some are quick to say they do not prefer seeing them and instead welcome those “by regular folks”, ie not designers. I can understand their sentiment and personal preference, but I think they need to reevaluate how much can be learned from these type of gardens.

My reply to this is something that needs addressing. The big gardens offer many ideas if you break them down into their parts. The parts by themselves are easy to implement for just about any gardener. It is overwhelming to only see these gardens in their entirety, so looking a bit closer and isolating what appeals is how a gardener can learn to use these garden ideas for their own.

I will do a post on that at some point. It really is important I believe for gardeners to see why and how these big gardens are designed – and what they can take away as usable portions of the design.

In each of the photo examples, all what is good about the small designs can be seen in large public gardens as well. I will show you how.

Rear gardening with limited or no turf grass.

Okey dokey, now that I got that out of the way… I do have a nice garden from one of my Garden Club members coming up. Hopefully the person with the negative commenting now reconsiders.

On Nature and Wildlife Pics – Stare Master.

This entry was posted in Blogging, garden, Nature, photos and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to The Beauty of Gardens Everywhere

1. Wow, I’ve been lucky so far to have such wonderful fellow bloggers leaving kind remarks. The gardens that you showcase here are truly remarkable, and if only I was this creative. I am humbled by their beauty.

2. Loretta says:

That is so hard to believe, how dare they!! :). On my blog, I feature, cooking, gardening and travel. I don’t have too many posts on gardening, but when spring rolls around, I WILL feature some of the many gardens that are in my area, in the neighborhood, in places where you pay to admire the beauty and also my own garden. I’m sorry you had to go through what you did, your pictures are gorgeous, and so is all your information pertaining to gardens 🙂

• Some people just show their ignorance. I believe as Jen said below, it is a matter of comparison. If they can’t create great design (and no one expects them to without training), they say something so mean that it only shows their lack of not just ability, but tack. I have gotten a number of comments not just one. But the one I did not post here was just plain mean and very ignorant of design principles. Some portend to know and they have no clue.

3. lulu says:

I’ve not had issues with bad comments, but I find it incomprehensible why someone would make a negative out of positive effort. I guess some folks haven’t learned if you can’t say something good……

• Point well made. It is exactly that. The gardeners in my posts are often home gardeners and they put an enormous effort into making these garden nice to open for the public. I know when I am walking on the garden walks, the visitors will almost always say something very complimentary, but then there will be those few that rip it to shreds. I heard one visitor do that in front of the owner – and the spokesperson did not know the owner was standing there. I felt so bad for that gardener.

4. I agree – people who leave such comments believe they are entitled to an opinion, irrespective of the effect their words have on others. Looking at the pictures of beautiful gardens here makes me wonder how many hours of labor would have gone into them. You are one lucky person to stay in such an area. Thanks for bringing them to us.

• Other bloggers call them “haters”. I don’t believe we have many like that on my blog, but there are those isolated few. Other garden blogs bring them out in droves. The one writing the post I mentioned often has people saying some nasty things. They do it in such a haute taute, intellectual, scholarly, enlightened manner too. 😀 I just think they are chumps!!!! 🙂

5. I have run into this situation as well. The odd blogger has resented being shown estate gardens. I think it is because they feel their own gardens never have a chance to measure up to a more grand garden.
    Hardest is when it is local gardener you know personally. As the posting blogger you have put them into the glare of a spotlight where anyone can take shots. It is hard not to feel responsible for the rudeness. Fortunately most commenters are very supportive and appreciative.

• The big gardens really make people show their preferences. I have seen that resentment often too. It is usually from those having the “native” gardens. I add the parentheses because most don’t have true native gardens no matter what they think they do. I write on this often.

6. bittster says:

I can’t think of a single garden in which I haven’t been able to find something of interest in or some new idea to mull over…. but I do tend to open my mouth a bit too much sometimes and of course stick my foot right in. Your post is a good reminder.

7. johnvic8 says:

Your comments are well taken. I haven’t been faced with the problem you describe, but I did delete a post of my own when I realized that the owner of the place I pictured could have indeed been hurt. It taught me to think carefully about showing something from outside my own garden before I comment or include in a post.

• I almost had to delete a post of a garden I designed because the owner took issue with it being on the web. I never showed the house or listed the location, so it was fine. My cousin also had the same request, do not have the location listed or house shown. That is why if I put in photos of gardens I designed (and I do) I never mention that fact.

8. .ugh.. wrote a comment and it got stuck in slow-connection limbo.. bounced to blank page, and now the comment is lost..

people sometimes don’t think about how their comments might affect others in negative ways.. they seem oblivious when it comes to sensitivity and tact. your photos and posts are always a soothing tonic, and just because one person likes order and another a prefers carefree wilder look, it doesn’t make one right and the other wrong.

i’ll never forget when someone looked at a painting of mine and stated, ‘that’s depressing.’ i stood there w/mouth agape as i stared at her and then my painting… a study of light streaming thru the woods,with gnarled trees and twisted vines – it had been painted on location in joy, but she knocked it (me) flat with two words. that was long ago, but teachers like ‘her’ helped me realize it’s not important what others think – it’s what makes you happy.. we create for the joy of creating – period, and we’re honored when others like it, but negative criticism often shakes a sensitive person’s psyche.

keep posting lovely images and sharing your beautiful world with us!
    z

• A comment like that person said to you would have put me off too. My art is very personal (even work that was commissioned), much more than any garden I ever designed. Art comes from within where design of gardens or even buildings is not that personal. Why? Because it is someone else’s property and design requests. I never could have that relationship if it is not something I live with or in.

• i find that gardening and art (and cooking) are all tasks that most creative people enjoy.. and when one doesn’t feel like creating art, one can pull weeds or turn soil or snip lovely cutflowers… and if one cannot be outside, well give us a knife and some vegetables to chop!

9. alesiablogs says:

Maybe the posts that have offensive or negative comments in any manner just need a reply from the bird staring them down with the evil eye. Like the fellas in your stare master post on Nature and Wildlife pics!

• Nothing will change these people. It is in there makeup. Like Jen said, it has to do with maybe a bit of jealousy in not measuring up I think. If people say nice things, there will always be those that tear it down.

10. Your garden walks are always amazing, it would be tragic if you felt you had to stop posting them. I love color, contrast, texture, and the detail of a garden; you dish that out in pretty big portions so I love your posts and I am always grateful that someone would be gracious enough to let me see their private garden…I think it would break my heart if someone disparaged my garden, I can not imagine doing that to someone else.

• I have stopped quite a bit. Once garden owners started taking issue with blog comments, I thought to post less. The garden owners were very appreciative having their gardens on the web, but never expected a comment that would not be at least congenial.

11. Elisa says:

So, no authenticity at all, fluff up people’s egos? blink
    This is like the talk before a family gathering, “now children, it doesn’t matter that Mrs. Tuttle has a very large warty mass on her nose, we do NOT look at it, we pretend it is not there and we compliment her on her attire..” Am I a bad child who must parrot a desired response? (and no I didn’t down anyone’s garden)

• It is exactly that. But what was to be learned was, if you see the “wart” don’t mention it. On my blog, as a designer, you won’t see “wart” gardens, but those I think are inspiring. The problem with the comments is the person making the remark has no training in design and should not criticize if they don’t know how to critique in a constructive manner. Constructive does not always mean complimentary either. It is done in a way to help, not hurt. The comment I was referencing was hurtful.

12. I do think people need to be polite in public discourse, whether they’re commenting on a gardening blog or news article. (You don’t see much polite discussion in the comments section of news articles, and that’s a shame, I think. People who would like to express a thoughtful opinion are often scared off by the trolls.) But as long as it’s polite, I would suggest you don’t try to restrict the conversation too much.

• So allow mean comments like the news blogs do? That is the only restriction I have been forced to use. I would rather not have the garden owners upset. Your blog does not get as many comments and those you get are not generally from garden bloggers. It makes a big difference with the audience that reads a post. I have discouraged those that have made unsuitable comments. They have not shown up in quite some time, but I always am concerned if they do.

• No, as I said in the beginning, we need polite discourse. But I feel as if you don’t want people to say that they don’t like public gardens, they can’t comment on design unless they’re a designer, and they can’t talk about their own gardens.

• I did not say no talk about their own gardens. Nor did I say they have to be a designer to render an opinion or even a polite critique. It would have helped to include some of the comments to put this in context, but I did not want to call them out in that manner or by name. The problem of only advertising their own garden is no notice of the garden in the post. I do think I know why a comment like this is left, but would rather not lump every comment like that into one group since why they are left can be very different. Some comments have such “garden authority” and their criticism or advice is often very off base. I ran into one such (actually two) case where the garden blogger professed to understand buildings codes (said they read them) as if they had years of training, education and experience. I know that is not even possible since codes are very much cross referenced and are found in places where professionals need them. Professionals have a trying time dealing with them many times due to how they are interpreted by the various municipalities, states and laws. It would be like me writing about journalism or criticizing you as a journalist. Sure I can write, but not to the expertise level of you. Nor would I want to have your specialized education to make that so. Most gardeners do not want design experience either. As for not liking public gardens, I don’t even believe anyone could say that in truth. They may not prefer a particular style of garden, but that is lumping them all in one group making a blanket statement. Also, as I said in the post, they can find parts of any garden to admire and use the ideas as their own.

13. For anyone to take the time to grow a garden is a gift for all to see. How wonderful to select a seed, plant it in the earth and tend to it allowing it to spring to life. We have no right to judge a garden someone else has planted. How can you judge something that brings joy to others?

• You would be very surprised at what some people say. I talk a lot about nature’s gardens and there is no judgement in what nature designs. That is a difference too. People design their spaces, so it is natural for them to pass judgement on what others do with their spaces. That is fine as long as they keep their dislike or disapproval to themselves, or at least say it in a nice way. That was the problem, the person making the comment said it rather nastily. It is not my intent to guide peoples thoughts, beliefs, or opinion, but when a gardener has their garden for all to see, it is very nice if the nasty remarks are not there for them.

• You are right “If you can’t say anything nice say nothing at all”. I sell my Art a a local market and have had some nasty comments as well. When we enter an Art Gallery we are not going to like everything on show, but must respect the fact that others may be moved by what we don’t like. Critics should use the method of judging: “what was the Artist trying to do, how well did they do it, and was it worth the time and effort put into it?”.

• I have had my art in galleries at one time too and also did open market art shows. You are right on what judges should evaluate. I get astounded hearing people say unfavorable things about art. The same happens with gardens too. The people make them as they appeal to them and to hear people being disparaging is not very nice. Especially when that person has no understanding of a particular design. Some gardeners can only afford to landscape in a certain way and are proud of what they accomplished. The problem with those really nasty comments, they will out live even Styrofoam.

14. lorieb says:

oh what I wouldn’t give for a garden tour right now! Here in Ottawa we have at least 3 feet of snow to get rid of first, sure you have some too in Buffalo area??

15. There are some really honest insights into the world of blogging and I suppose social media will always have some problems that people wouldn’t say if face to face. It’s great that people are out in the open gardening and maybe we should care less for thoughtless comments. You show some amazing places.

• Blogging does have quite a few faults, rules, and advice that many pass on to others. It is so funny that blogging experts never really talk about etiquette. When you read comments on some very popular blogs, you see some very mean and personal dialog. Garden blogs were never like that. Most bloggers are courteous and polite. But in every bunch there will be the rotten apple. I let the insensitive comments on the blog UNLESS it is about a garden by others. I do try hard to show gardens that inspire.

16. I do think that bloggers can be so mean spirited about their comments. Me, I just love the photos for what they are. Yours are so bright and colourful. Where I live at the moment is bland, no gardens, so I enjoy looking at other people’s gardens. Why can’t people just enjoy looking at nature? I know that gardeners can be very picky people – I have come across a couple but it is not a competition. Gardeners often enjoy what they do, but each to their own. What is great for one is not so great for another, just keep your mean opinions to yourself.

• I think most do like looking at nature. I never got an off hand remark on any nature post that I can remember. Gardening must be competitive to some where they have to look down on other gardens, I have no clue. The worst of the berating of gardens (any garden that happens to not use native plants or has any tuft grass on their property) happens on another blog. Sometimes those that comment there come here too, but not in a very long time. I guess I show too much grass where they want none.

17. Hi Donna,

Very thoughtful post.

Expanding on the ‘if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all’ adage (it’s a good rule to live by – although sometimes silence can be deafening). When my design students are first introduced to the guidelines and principles of good design, invariably they come to class the next day with all kinds of ‘have-you-seen-that-poorly-designed-garden-on-such-and-such-street’ and ‘can-you-believe-so-and-so- did-such-and-such-in-their-garden’ etc. etc. My response is to challenge them to find something done WELL in every garden, even those they think are poorly designed – and this isn’t to make them nicer people; it’s to make them better designers. If one gets too caught up in what not to do, creativity and the courage to design boldly and purposefully are stunted – better to concentrate on doing than not-doing.

When I started blogging I decided I would always be kind, respecting the hard work and personal expression that defines all of our gardens. In the photos I aim to show a principle well-employed rather than one ignored. However there are times when, for the sake of a teaching moment, I will feature an image illustrating ‘what not to do’ – with an accompanying edit showing a possible fix. I’m careful to always include a comment indicating that the composition is still very attractive despite my (constructive) criticism. Perhaps this is the key – if a commenter really feels they must critique one of your featured gardens, at the very least it should be done constructively as opposed to destructively; something like: “This is an amazing garden – more formal than I’d choose for my own yard, but awesome nonetheless”. That’s much nicer don’t you think?

Hope you’re ‘overwintering’ well.

Sue

• I do think that is a good response for those commenting. I smiled at your design students coming in with their remarks. It reminds me in college when I was taking psychology classes and the students all thought they have every mental disease in the books. In architecture, the students all were experts on design the first year too. I taught first year students and it was fun watching them develop.

I find those that don’t offer constructive criticism, criticize in such a forceful manner, like they are the last word on design. It is especially frustrating when it is a person with no design experience. It is hard to respect a person when they shove some garden style down our throats, like those that abhor using turf grass.

Thanks for your comment Sue. Not many designers in garden blogging.

18. That’s a very good point, Donna. I don’t know what the post was or what the comment was, but I do think constructive comments are much better than negative ones. Most of the gardens you show, and of course your photos, are incredibly beautiful. And I find myself gazing happily at my screen every time I visit your blog.

• Thank you Beth. I just think some gardeners are not very flexible and look at designed gardens as an affront against nature. It is like only those gardens will ever see an insect or bird, when in reality, insects and birds go to where there is a food source. I just saw a blog post that listed plants we all should avoid and ban when the fact is those plants are not detrimental in all climates and do provide for insects and birds at a time when all other plants are bare of nourishment. For instance, they listed pear trees as an example. Yes, some places they are a problem, but in my climate, birds like robins, jays and others get food when otherwise they would find none late in the season. The same with the woodpeckers, always in search of something in the bark. My pear is sterile and never made one baby pear tree, yet the blogger was adamant on removal of them all. The broad blanket and strong-arm approach to elimination of certain patented plants is going to get some blogger sued someday by the big companies that market them. I am waiting for that day to come. Many bloggers don’t do enough research and depend on people’s emotion to garner approval by readers. I know that sidesteps commenting like in the post, but posting in a negative manner like certain plants are “evil” is very similar in nature.

19. As always, a thoughtful post filled with photos to feed this garden hungry soul!
    Thank you, Donna.

20. Marie says:

Beautiful photos and thinking spring here!

21. This post really got me thinking Donna. I believe people probably find it easier to criticize public gardens as if they are fair game just because they are open to the public. Private gardens are exactly that, private, and the owners create their garden for themselves to enjoy. It may not be to everyone’s taste and nor should it be. I believe there is something to take away from every garden and it’s so wonderful when bloggers share their experiences in private gardens. In the blogging world we are exposed to so many gardens that we would otherwise never see. I think it is such a privilege.

• Very true, Karin. Public gardens are easy targets, yet most are good examples of design. The gardens I show are mostly open gardens and a number of them have even been in national garden magazines. When I did the post on whether garden bloggers really liked looking at gardens, it was due to poor readership by bloggers on some of those specific garden posts. Ironically, those garden posts are searched by name and get good viewership overall. I think the garden bloggers have really changed in what type of garden they have and want. That or it is much easier to have a “natural” garden because there is an assumption it has less or no design. (It does have design if done properly) And in the case of quite a few, it is exactly that – a haphazard collection of plants. Some even say it has nothing to do with aesthetics. Again, not so.

I remember the post that bashed Master Gardeners. It makes me think there is a real problem in garden blogging to attack the Master Gardeners, after all, they are very dedicated and passionate gardeners. Why berate them????? Has garden blogging become just a group that thrives on controversy and planting to make themselves feel like they are contributing to some greater cause. Heck it is just a plot of land that they plant, not the cure to all nature’s ills.

22. I love all type and sizes of gardens. If something does not appeal to me personally, I would not comment on that specific item or situation unless I was asked for some constructive criticism. I might not like certain color combinations, or certain garden artwork for example, but each person is entitled to their own style and that comes through in their own gardening and designs.
    I love all the gardens in the photos you shared on this post. The colors are so vibrant and I think it’s wonderful that the people in the Garden Walk in Buffalo, and some of your friends open their gardens to the public for an extended period of time. Thanks for sharing.

• It is wonderful we have all these opened gardens in our area. I am glad many viewers and readers appreciate all the work the gardeners endure each year as well. It is fine to like or dislike the gardens as a viewer, but I found it very uncomfortable when people were complaining right in front of the garden owners.

23. Such a fabulous Garden….can’t wait for spring & summer.

24. Les says:

I guess I’ve been fortunate and have only had a couple of negative comments, and at least those were not about a garden someone else was gracious enough to let me photograph. If that happened more often, it could lead to potential subjects saying a big “no thank you”. I had one “anonymous” commenter take me to task for a picture I posted. It was actually a reflection in the water of several trees in a pond. I took what I thought was obvious artistic license and turned the photo upside down, and the dark water speckled with pollen made it look like a starry night photo, and my caption said the pond was lovely at night as well. She/he said “Things like that can really compromise a reader’s trust in a blogger’s reliability”, like I’m required to maintain the same standards as the New York Times.

• It really is too bad when one gets comments that leaves heads shaking. I did think briefly about not showing gardens – like one second’s worth, but I am not so easily dissuaded by others though. I would rather make the issue public like I did in this post.

Did the person leaving the comment on the upside down trees maybe make it in jest? So many news reporters and camera people have been taken to task and fired within the last few years that it might have been said as a joke – like you are going to get fired for fraud.

You know, the problem with social media of all kinds is that people often are so brief in writing, that meaning or emotion behind what is written gets lost. I was writing a post today and realized I had to add more words to a few sentences, because the whole meaning could be misconstrued from the sentence before each. I am very guilty of brevity in comments and I too have wondered if what I wrote would be understood as meant if I did not write and write and write to make it so.

• Les says:

Judging by the tone of the rest of the anonymous commentor’s remarks, I think they were serious. If it had bothered me that much, I would have deleted the comment, but I do encourage other viewpoints. I am pleased when two or more people commenting on my blog posts take opposing sides on an issue and go back and forth with eachother. It has never gotten ugly, but these discussions do generate a lot of traffic and keep things lively.

• That is too bad. I encourage other viewpoints too, but I always thought I wrote posts in that manner so people would know when to comment freely. I just never thought they might say something negative about an elderly lady’s garden. If they only knew how hard it is for that person, and she works so hard to make the garden for others to appreciate. Taking artistic license is similar. The artist often takes time and although personal in expression, it does not deserve a bashing. Except maybe some controversial art like Piss Christ by the American artist and photographer Andres Serrano. That made my lose all artistic toleration and understanding.

25. lucindalines says:

I made a rule for myself when I started blogging. I am a Positive Polly in the blog world. Normally I see the glass as partially empty, but in the blogs and comments, it is all nice and happy and positive. In the blogging world I follow my mother-in-law’s rule: If you can’t say something nice, keep your mouth shut. It really has helped change my own attitude on life, and I am grateful that I did it. Maybe I was led to that, not sure, but hope this post has helped get your point across. Beautiful pictures and gardens!!

26. I like to think that I try to be considerate and respectful when writing about amateur gardens. I love many professionally designed gardens as well, but I feel I have a little more leeway to be snarky or critical. For example, I wrote a pretty snarky post about the International Garden Festival at Chaumont, but I felt it was OK to do because these gardens were displaying themselves as models for the rest of us. I also wrote something that was partly negative after visiting Versailles, but I think Le Notre won’t mind. You make a very legitimate point, but there has to be some room for reasonable criticism (and humor) or the discussion gets kind of boring.

• We have differing views I think because even as a designer for too many years to list – it dates me – I don’t feel I could critique a famous garden such as Versailles. It is because I understand the principles of design behind such a garden.

I defended Biltmore against the undeserving criticism it received and did so with what I know from my architectural education in design and art history. It is one thing not to prefer a space like that, another to spout out of ignorance as to why it was created in that manner. In the post bashing Biltmore, they did that. Other posts on the estate garden said visitors did not walk that expansive property – like it was a waste of space I surmise – but that was not true at all and I had photos to prove they made the long trek across the Great Lawn.

And events like the International Garden Festival at Chaumont and RHS Chelsea Flower Show are examples of conceptual gardens meant for inspiration rather than actual implementation – a journey – not the destination – in both spatial design and planting. Yes they are impressive and sometimes strange show gardens, but they are gardens to make one think – in a conceptually thought-provoking manner. They are meant to expand one’s idea of gardening, open the mind to creativity and inspiration. Not just plant flowers. Plant with an idea in mind. It is why they pick themes for show gardens, to see how designers execute an idea all different from one another.

Anyway, humor is a good way to soften criticism. But like in my reply to Les, it can often be misconstrued unfortunately.

27. Gosh! I can’t imagine how anyone could think the gardens that you post here are anything less than gloriously beautiful.

28. It is sad when people don’t understand the long range consequences of their comments. I usually always find something I like in every garden….but if I ever make a disparaging comment know it was not intended to be that way and call me on it….I would be so embarrassed if I offended someone in a comment.

• If a comment is disparaging in some way on posts of gardens by others, I found I can’t leave them. It is better than calling out the person commenting. I know some people get critical because of their passion, but the garden owners don’t know bloggers, so this does not come through when they see those type of comments. I don’t care on other posts, just ones where I feature a private garden. You always leave thoughtful comments.

29. Lula says:

To be fair to you, I would never say that your posts about garden visits try to send a negative critique, and you have the right to express yourself if it’s in a respectful way. So don’t worry your readers know you and understand.

30. Of Gardens says:

You are so right about how worrying about reactions make one not want to share.

31. lulu says:

Beautiful gardens are blooming in Houston now, and they do so much to Brighten gray days.