Back Off Bud!

Mad-Cardinal

Sometimes rude people can really make one want to blow a gasket… especially if out photographing. While out in the park with my camera, I usually stop to feed the birds in the woods at Niagara Falls. The poor little guys are always hungry when we have four feet of drifted snow covering their foraging understory plants.

Mad-Cardinal-5

The birds pose for my camera in gratitude many times. Not only do I attract the birds, but also other photographers hemming in on the action. I place food at a nice sunny spot on a small snow mound to photograph the cardinals against the snow.

Mad-Cardinal-8

So what does this guy do but park himself in my image to shoot the birds I lured in for my photos. Now all my images have his pant legs showing if I zoom out a bit. It is 10° out so no one wants to stay long in that weather, but after I attracted about 20 or more cardinal pairs, my new chatty friend was going nowhere.

Mad-Cardinal-2

No side stepping to avoid him either since the food was placed according to how the sun was setting for the day.

Mad-Cardinal-4

Photo man would not budge. I thought the guy was going to move once he took his 60th shot, but he just stood there planted, swiveling his body all around. Unfortunately when someone is not cooperating, there is little that can be done. If you stammer and fret, they will just stay longer. I patiently waited him out. At least he did not park his rear in front of my lens, that happened when I was photographing whales in Maui. I wanted to push that lady overboard.

Mad-Cardinal-10

I was pleasant as he talked and talked, but honestly my feathers were ruffled. These images I took yesterday are on Nature and Wildlife Pics, but I thought this frosted cardinal from last year was a good series of photos to illustrate my dilemma.

Mad-Cardinal-6

See Nature and Wildlife Pics for a funny post, My Snow Pile.

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, photography, photos and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Back Off Bud!

1. Leona Margaret says:

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. Amazing,wonderful,beautiful😃😃😃

2. wonderful photo! Cardinals have such personality.

3. Sukanya Ramanujan says:

Love the angry bird!

4. Debra says:

grrrrrrr

5. Hi Donna what amazing photos; you are the queen of Cardinals absolutely stunning; despite the pain the ****, most people stick to photographers etiquette its an unwritten law, but some are just selfish arnt they. Good on you for not losing your rag with him, hopefully he was just visiting and not a regular, people like this infuriate me too.
    Keep up the amazing photos and keep these little guys fed for the Winter!

6. His red plumage is absolutely stunning against the white snow. Incredible photography.

7. alesiablogs says:

Overboard would have been quite the shot! Glad there was enough photo chances even with her in the way…haha love the birds as usual…..

8. Great photos. I had the same experience with a photographer at the Art Deco weekend last year. Everytime I moved he moved in front of me. Most frustrating and nothing I could do. So a lot of my photos were useless with an arm or camera in the way.

9. Love these beautiful shots, they are such an amazing colour! Thanks for sharing in spite of all the frustration getting them….

10. I love the red reflections in some of the shots. Cardinals always make me smile.

11. That expression on the first shot is just perfect! Too bad the photographer didn’t get the message!

12. Why didn’t you say, “Excuse me, you’re in my shot”?

13. I think I would have said nicely that he was blocking your shot or in your shot….I mean come on….he wouldn’t like it if you photo bombed his shots. That cardinal was certainly posing for you like it was on a ‘birdwalk’ 🙂

14. You and I share a love of cardinals, I think. Though you have seen them in greater numbers than I ever have. As for the person too clueless to get out of your way, you have my sympathy.

15. Hi Donna,
    Excuse me please if I appear dense, but are you speaking allegorically or literally? That is, is Mr. Red Legs the one that was intruding in your photos? Cardinals are normally so fearful and jumpity, too.

16. You showed great patience, Donna. Some people have no clue! The cardinal certainly illustrates beautifully the way you must have felt! P. x

17. aussiebirder says:

Donna, you are such an inspiration to me, especially with highlighting birds of your country. I thoroughly enjoy your posts, and your cardinals.

18. I appreciated the tutorial on how you are able to construct such incredible photos, I also share your discomfort at how rude and thoughtless people can be at times.

19. Pat says:

Lovely shots of the Cardinal in the snow.

20. Loretta says:

Absolutely stunning photography!

21. Chartreuse Chrysanthemum says:

What wonderful pictures of the punk-rockers of the bird community. I, too, am a NF gardener, but I am waiting for it all to melt (maybe in June) before heading out for nature photography.
    So glad I stumbled on your blog while dreaming of spring on Pinterest today.

I suspect he was so inwardly turned toward his own needs, he had no idea what he was doing! It seems there are a lot of thoughtless people in the world. Then there are those who are deliberately obnoxious, stepping on your toes, just to show they can do it. Unfortunately, the number of that type of people is also growing.

Your cardinal images are delightful. These are my favorite birds.

23. Love these Cardinal shots – this guy’s a real ‘ham’!! ;-D

24. bittster says:

Sorry to hear that even the rude venture out in the cold. I always like to think they’re more the indoor type…. Had my own run in this weekend. It was expected since it’s a repeat offender, but it always comes as a shock.

25. My Heartsong says:

i like the shots where the bird seems to be laughing -yes, I get irked when I am focused on shooting and someone wants to talk -not good timing and when they park themselves in front of me-gr-r-r.

26. Leibfred says:

The photos are amazing – what a bright and beautiful cardinal. I always seem to run into those annoying photographers, too – where do they come from and how do you get rid of them?!