Mute Swans – Are They Storybook?

Swan-Resting

Aren’t they sweet?

Stay until the end…to see what happens.

DSC_6281

Such a beautiful, fluffy bird and not even a very chatty type.

Mute-Swan-1

You might add demure.

Mute-Swan-4

Elegant and graceful.

Mute-Swan-Swimming

A picture perfect bird of storybook tales.

Mute-Swan-Sitting

Right, a real prince of a bird.

Maybe the story ends a bit differently as the evil swan tries to rip the head off the Canada Goose.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

No goose was harmed, but I do think it was a bit embarrassed.

You want to know about the Mute Swan, see my post Is NY Killing the Mute Swans?

Missed eagles…Eagle Watch.and American Bald Eagles – Don’t Go to Jail for One.

Nature and Wildlife Pics… Long-tailed Ducks in Dunkirk Harbor. You get to see the harbor too. More from the harbor coming up soon.

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, photography, photos, Wildlife and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Mute Swans – Are They Storybook?

1. I have read many times that swans are quite aggressive, but the proof is in the photos.

2. bittster says:

Beautiful bird and great pictures, but they’re really not a favorite of mine. When I was smaller they used to try and bully me into giving them all the bread, when I was bigger there was always that nasty hissing if you came too close or didn’t move your kayak out of the way fast enough. I’ve seen that neck grab quite a few times on ducks and geese both…. but then again they were all kind of harassing each other so I guess no one is all that innocent!

3. swo8 says:

Yes, Donna, those swans can be quite aggressive.
    Leslie

4. Annie says:

Having lived until recently on Virginia’s Chesapeake Bay, I can attest to the fact that they are growing in numbers and disturbing underwater vegetation. But I would never be in favor of mass killing as proposed in NY. I have not followed what happened with that proposal.

5. Oh gosh, I didn’t expect that. Although I have seen swans (and geese and other birds) being aggressive, tough, mean, and territorial.

6. alesiablogs says:

That Swan has some passive – aggressive issues. haha

7. David says:

Very nice photo of a very hard subject, i.e., white subjects plus white back ground. One or the other by itself is difficult enough.

8. Andrea says:

Hahaha you must have stayed with it for some time to get those wonderful photos. But there is really a nice story there! The denouement is a bit of a suspense, thriller shocker! Kidding aside, very beautiful shots.

9. Emily Scott says:

I was going to say, not known as the gentlest of birds. But I love seeing them gliding across the water. Your first photo is my favourite, the swan looks so cosy.

10. Annette says:

Love your little bird stories 🙂

11. I had to look twice at the first photo– it looked like a snowball. And the end? That just shows that these are animals and we shouldn’t be surprised when they act like animals.

12. No words to describe the beautify of this being …and your amazing shots, Donna! 🙂

13. Great photos. Swans, geese and ducks can be really aggressive. Especially during the mating time.

14. Pat says:

Oh, wow! That beautiful creature has quite an aggressive streak.

15. Maria F. says:

Great images, thanks!. I have also read about this behavior, even amongst their own kind. The male may get extremely upset if the female rejects him, up to the point that people have thought he actually kills her. The fights of the males between themselves is extremely bloody and I think some actually do kill each other, but I don’t think it’s the norm, however.

16. Swan are beautiful, but vicious and dangerous animals at the same time 🙂

17. Simply gorgeous photos! I’ve never seen a swan do that before. When we visited a nature preserve in Michigan a few years ago they had a problem with the mute swans because they were taking over the habitat of the native waterfowl. There was a big campaign against them in the state. Is that true in your area too?

18. Boy, I’m going to remember to keep mu distance if I ever see any swans. They are seen infrequently around here. Great pictures.

19. Wow…they may be mute but they speak volumes in their actions! Beautiful birds.