The Garden Bloggers’ Fling 2015 – What Will Be Blooming?

Trollius

I wish I still knew the answer to this question. I did this post last year in August without knowing we would have the coldest February on record here in Niagara. We may have topped snowfall in Western New York since the Buffalo area had over seven feet of snow in November alone. Here are some photos of Niagara Falls in Canada on Saturday. That is a lot of ice yet to melt. Our Spring is still on hold, today (Sunday morning) it is 16°F. In Canada, it was frigid on Saturday.

Let’s have a look a few months ahead…

We are 80 miles driving and about 1 hour and 26 minutes to Toronto. They are north and a slight bit west of us around a very big lake. Boat across, and it is a bit over 30 miles across Lake Ontario. We share much of the same weather benefiting from the Great Lakes being that close. I think we are taking the train which will be a nice way to travel. It is over $53 per night to park the car at the hotel, so it will be a great savings too.

The Fling is only a couple of months away and we are still in a snowy Niagara. To get an idea what the attendees might see, let’s look at my garden and why it is a good indicator of bloom times.

What happens in my garden June 5-7 each year might give you an idea of what blooms – even one week later. This time of year is always a surprise. Since it was similar to 2014 this past winter into 2015, maybe the likeliest outcome may be the last gallery in the post, but it all depends on what May brings.

2011

The Toronto Garden Bloggers Fling is scheduled for June 5-7, 2015 which is rather early in the season for us. We do have a wonderful spring most years with much in bloom, yet it is always a flip of the coin on what part weather plays. There is a bit of changeover when bulbs give way to perennials, even a garden down time.

Let’s see how my garden fared in the last four years as a comparison. Allium is in both the front and back gardens. Just one week later… Allium fizzles yet…

The above gallery is June 12, 2011. Quite a difference in a short week.

2011 had a cold, wet spring. Every plant was behind schedule. This made for a late spring-like garden with lilacs in bloom which usually bloom earlier. One week later and plants popped out all over the gardens.

In our area, it is recommended to wait until after Memorial Day for planting tender plants due to a possible late frost. We have had frosts that late before.  Many in our area plant annuals to supplement the perennials as the seasons progress.

Let’s keep looking at my garden for a yearly comparison since home gardens are on the Fling schedule, they will likely have plants similar to what I have for bloom times.

2012

This gallery is the front garden June 5-7, 2012. Where there was barely more than Allium in 2011 during the 5th to the 7th, you can see a host of blooming perennials in 2012 in the front and side gardens. 2012 had a very mild winter, even in January.

See posts from January 2012 for the weather calendar.

But the back gardens…Past peony time yet daylilies have arrived. You can see a big difference in the back garden as the iris is done and the Asiatic lilies are ready to pop. No creeping phlox either, June 5-7, 2012. But roses are flush.

2013

I did not have many photos taken in this time frame in 2013, but you can see peonies and iris were in bloom by the 6th.

2014

A very cold winter kept spring plants waiting. When it did warm up, at least it was hot enough to push plants into fast growth. Peonies are yet to open on the 5th, but creeping phlox and lilacs are past prime, iris are blooming, and lots of sage. This is a good time to show the next week too where the garden was much more in bloom. Here are photos from the 12th to the 16th below.

What was different about 2014 – was a very slow start to the growing season like 2011, but when it warmed up plants went out of regular bloom times and bunched up on each other rather quickly. This made for a very colorful late June, even later and more colorful than the gallery shown below of mid-June. To see late June, see Garden Progress – The End of June.

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Bloggers Fling, Nature, photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to The Garden Bloggers’ Fling 2015 – What Will Be Blooming?

1. I look forward to meeting you at the Fling! It will be a great event with whatever is in bloom and I wouldn’t guess now what we’ll see.

So far, it’s a late spring here in Niagara. There are snow drops, snow crocuses, witch hazel, and weeping pussy willow in bloom in my garden. I couldn’t get pussy willow stems into a lot of the outdoor pots last week as they were frozen.

Our region’s garden clubs are pushing their plant sales to later dates in May based on last year’s experience. So far, later is looking better.

Keep us posted on your garden’s progress. It is wonderful to see these year by year comparisons.

• Thank you, I want to meet you as well. You are fortunate, My snowdrops are not yet showing or the crocus. The bud is the pear tree which is usually an early bloomer. The lilacs are just as tight. This week should warm up as predicted, so maybe buds will break. Our plant sale is also in May, but last year it really had nothing in bloom, which affects sales. They should consider late May.

2. lorieb says:

snowing here in Ottawa again this morning, some day soon spring will arrive. Beautiful garden pics! Gave my brain (and heart) a boost this morning thinking of what is to come

3. I never get bored looking at your gardens!

4. Indie says:

That time has always been a rather awkward season in my garden, transitioning from late spring to early summer blooms. It’s been such a long winter. I do hope the weather warms up quickly and you’ll be able to see some beautiful blooming gardens for the fling!

• You can see in the images some years are less colorful than others. I always have things blooming, but the week later in every case was a better choice for my garden. I have tulips and daffs (they cover most of spring) that span seasons too, so if it warms up too fast, they might only bloom for a day or so. There is no way to predict when planning either. Some plants are so susceptible to heat. The Allium is not fond of high heat either. Last year they lasted such a short time when the heat hit.

5. Loretta says:

How beautiful, it definitely makes us all excited about spring. I’m here in Delaware, and we have some gorgeous weather predicted for this week in the 50’s and 60’s. Love how you compare all the blooms from past years at a certain time of year. Quite interesting isn’t it? I do have one question for you if you can help please. I volunteer at a beautiful urban garden walking distance from my house….they did not want some gorgeous oriental lilies, so I dug them out and brought about 30 of them home, planted them in pots and set them outside. I’m afraid the squirrels may get to them before they have a chance to show, so I covered the pots with dead leaves and garden debris. Any idea if this is ok? Ideally, I’d like some netting as I see the squirrels forever digging around in the pots.

• No fear. The squirrels may have taken some, but I pot up both Oriental and Asiatic lilies for our garden sale held in mid-May the fall before and over-winter them right on the ground. I do not heal them in, but do make sure they are covered in snow until the weather breaks. If snow is late, I use leaves too. The squirrels got a few, but they are much more interested in my bird food. They may not even take the bulbs, but rather just bury peanuts they took from the feeders. Just make sure to remove the leaves when the rains are due. They would hold too much moisture and may rot the bulb crowns.

• Loretta says:

Ahh good thought – the rains have arrived, so I may have to keep an eye on the pots. I used to have some type of netting to cover delicate plants in pots, I’ll have to try to find that again. Squirrels are such a menace. Thanks for the pointers.

6. Margy Rydzynski says:

We had a very bitter winter in Boston, MA too. I wonder what it’s done to my tiny little garden.

7. Have fun in Toronto Donna. I am sure the gardens will be blooming to reward all the Flingers’ senses.

8. Andrea says:

Have a very enjoyable time across the big river! Whatever your garden looks like or changes across the years, they all look lovely to me. I am not familiar with most of the plants and flowers but whatever, they are beautiful.

9. I am very much looking forward to seeing all the gardens and meeting fellow bloggers. Your early June garden looks a lot like our spring gardens. Lots of inspiration to be had. The train sounds like a great way to travel.

• Spring here is always a bit iffy. We get late frosts, wet springs, and cold temperatures many times. The plants do well, just make appearances at different times. The train is $18 round trip. What a savings.

10. catmint says:

I guess your garden varies from year to year, but each year looks great to me, lush and colourful.

11. Whether spring is late or early it looks like there will be much to appreciate. We are usually told wait until May 15 for tender plants – which is odd as we are zone 5 and aren’t you in zone 6? The peak month for garden walks here is July.

12. The blooms look very similar to what tends to bloom in early June here in Southern Wisconsin. Usually the Peonies bloom near Memorial Day, but sometimes a little later. Often Lilacs, some Alliums, and Delphiniums are blooming, too. I love the years when Peonies and Irises bloom at the same time. They look stunning together in fresh-picked bouquets!

• Mostly, my delphinium blooms a bit later. Foxglove has bloomed early enough though. It really depends on the year and how much will bunch up together. Although I like spacing out the plants to have continuous garden bloom, weather always has the last say.

13. Lula says:

Whatever the results, all your images are beautiful, including the first ones of the falls, they look spectacular!!

• I do like the frozen falls. Since there was postings of so many images of it last year, I am not the only one at the Falls this year. It has gotten very popular for visitors since seeing the Falls in ice on blogs, TV and newspapers.

14. Your gardens are absolutely stunning!!! What a spectacular set of comparative photos – thanks for sharing so many. They must bring you and your neighbors and visitors great pleasure!

15. Enjoy the Fling Donna. Your gardens and photographs are amazing and beautiful!