Oriole Visited Me in My Garage

Oriole-4

This is a new one in my garden.

I have had very courageous and curious birds come right up to me many times, even a hummingbird flying into my powder room when I was photographing them in the garden.

Oriole-10

You probably know I have since stopped photographing birds at the feeder after I showed how to set up a backyard photo studio that makes the shoot appear like it was shot in a nature preserve or forest. It is a seven part series with many tips on getting birds to gardens, then photographing them in a more natural way.

Oriole-1

I don’t think birds at feeders are interesting photos as a rule, so I don’t have my camera in the garden unless for flowers and insects. They are good practice for taking photos in the field later, but professional photographers frown on bird feeder photos. They prefer photos in the wild like in this post.

oriole

Just to prove the oriole is in my garden, on Wednesday, I photographed it after it ate some grape jelly and was foraging the Royal Gem crabapple tree for insects. The first image in the gallery shows the insect in its beak. Click through, it is a pretty bird in my garden.

Back to more challenging photos….

Oriole-6

On Tuesday while I was working in the garage, I had a Baltimore Oriole fly in and perch five feet away from me on the handle of the lawnmower and just stare at me. I know bird behavior pretty well now that I have been birding with “professional” birders for a few years.

oriole-7

For a male oriole to do this is VERY unusual. There was no doubt in my mind why he did it, but I am sure an ornithologist might disagree.

Oriole-5

His orange cups were empty! I swear he visited me to go inside and get the grape jelly. I obediently did as I thought he asked. Never would I have thought an oriole would come that close in an enclosed, dark building. Sometimes a bird will surprise you.

Oriole-3

Next post… do you know all about soils? Most likely you don’t realize the over 20 soil tests architects do for site preparation and why they matter for your gardens. Plus photos of my garden bloom progress this spring. Heck, photographing soil is boring!

This entry was posted in Birds, garden and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Oriole Visited Me in My Garage

1. aussiebirder says:

A beautiful bird Donna well captured, and its colours blend nicely with the spring background theme

2. Nick Hunter says:

Beautiful series of photos. The sharpness and detail of the bird combined with lovely, soft background colors form some jaw-dropping compositions.

3. Stunning nature photos with vibrant colors.

4. eulalia says:

What a wonderful visitor and what a great photographer…. best wishes for you…

5. cookie says:

They are beautiful. Put out oranges for them. I put out half oranges, then when they eat all of the pulp I put grape jelly inside them.

6. johnvic8 says:

I don’t understand why you get all the beautiful birds and they just don’t come around here. You are fortunate and so generous to share that beauty with us.

7. swo8 says:

Donna, the colours are so intense They are so lovely!
    Leslie

8. I think the Orioles skipped over me this year. They’ve been reported in the area, but I haven’t seen any. The hummingbirds are back, though. Yay! Very nice photos, Donna, as always.

9. Annie says:

All I can say is WOW!

10. Such a beautiful bird! I love watching my birds but haven’t ever been visited by this little guy!

Lovely photos! I wish an oriole would stop by my house. I’ve never seen one here.

12. paxami says:

Wonderful photos as usual. Did he want the grape jelly?

13. I don’t know anything about soil, i’ll be happy to know more ! 🙂

14. Donna, you’re the bird whisperer!

15. What a stunning bird and a truly beautiful set of shots Donna.

16. I agree with Connie, you are indeed a bird whisperer. No wonder you get such beautiful visitors! 🙂

17. Laurin Lindsey says:

Beautiful pictures! I never underestimate the intelligence of animals. I scatter birdseed on my walk every morning. Our old cat loves to sit in the grass a couple of feet away. She doesn’t bother them and they are not afraid of her anymore. I am not sure when it happened but they know she is safe. They scatter like the wind when any other cat comes by.

18. Stunning photos. The colours of that bird is amazing. I was watching on the news last night that California was in the midst of a severe drought which was bringing the animal and bird life into places they normally would avoid, just to get water.

19. Have just managed to directly link to your blog from my recent post and I am yet again stunned by your photos of birds. I need to work on your tips on your starling page in order to encourage our woodland birds in Spain to be photographed if they decide to use the bird tables! Just one glimpse of a golden oriole in Spain so far so it’s going to be a mission to get photos.

20. What fun to have such a demanding visitor. We don’t see many orioles around here.

21. Tanja says:

Very beautiful captures of a very beautiful bird. 🙂

22. Annette says:

Lovely, lovely, lovely!!! We are surrounded by the golden orioles and recently at breakfast in the conservatory we were able to see a male picking the fluffy seeds from the cortaderia (pampas grass) for his nest. Must be soft and cosy!

23. alesiablogs says:

Wow. What a story Donna! I love the photos. It appears so many of your other followers as myself did too!! I did not get an email about this post by the way as I usually do. I hope you have a great weekend!! It has been quite nice here in Seattle….

24. Pat says:

What a beauty.

25. Yes, a bird on a tree is worth two on a feeder, but we are such lazy birdwatchers that most of Judy’s bird photos are at the feeder. Though she does sometimes get them on a tree or shrub or feeding on the ground. Bird baths can also be fun for photos. However, they are pretty much all viewed from the back porch.

26. That bird is smart, Donna, he knows where to go for treats. I’m off to read your series on photographing back yard birds. I learn so much from you, my friend. P. x

27. Yes orioles are quite bold and vocal here…if our feeder is down too long we hear about it….

28. Brian Comeau says:

It’s funny – I don’t know if I recall seeing an oriole before…. other than the ones in Baltimore playing baseball…

Beautiful photos. Thanks so much for sharing!

29. Wonderful photos in a beautiful natural setting! I agree with you, he was telling to fill up the jelly cups! They are so beautiful with their awesome colors!