Garden Bloggers’ Fling – Bring Your Umbrellas to Toronto

Niagara-Falls-5-27-15

Just in case…

We did not have rain in over a month and just when it is time for garden flinging, the rain just may come our way. We are only 30 miles across Lake Ontario from Toronto, we can see Toronto easily on a clear day, so we get a lot of the same weather. I checked the 14 day forecast for both Toronto and here and it is the same forecast. Thunder showers may be coming. But, the way the forecasts have been wrong for one whole month, the sun may just shine. I am hoping we get the rain at least and Toronto is dry and sunny.

Empty-Annual-Beds

As I mentioned before, I would show you what the gardens are doing in Niagara Falls, ON.  I talked with a Parks Department worker and the annuals will be going in on Monday, June 1. It takes them a month to do all the installation. Some of the beds are prepped and ready for Monday planting. Plants are being hardened off.

Perennial-beds

You can see all the perennial beds in this post but not much is flowering yet. They are just getting around to cleaning up bulb beds, weeding the perennial beds and trimming boxwood. I did look for all the flowers I could find, so in a week, I hope you see a lot more.

If you have been following here on GWGT you have seen my gardens in each and every post, so you get an idea what might be coming your way as far as bloom in private gardens. Peonies are just starting to break. On Thursday before I leave, I will post my garden again. Plants are flowering in my garden continuously.

Take the tour through the gallery, click to see Niagara Falls Ontario, a mere walk across the bridge for me. BTW, I drove over earlier today and did pass some of the places you will see. I am not showing you the flower clock so it will be a surprise if you get to see it – I hope. I asked if they would be bedding it out by next week or leaving the colorful pansies. They likely will not change it before you see it in another week! That would be good news. Enjoy the tour of Niagara Falls Ontario I took today… these are all places you might see when you visit the Falls.

Off to the rose gardens… not sure they will take you here, but if they let you walk around, you might like these gardens. Roses are a bit stumpy, but the perennial gardens are filling out. The bulb beds you see on May 27th will be filled with annuals by a month from now.

And why you go to Niagara Falls… of course if you never saw it before, you will be taking lots of photos. You should have seen all the selfies being shot with the Falls in the background. My guess is you might shoot a few yourself.

Hope you enjoy the Niagara trip on Monday, June 8. Too bad you can’t come over for refreshments in my garden. Give me a wave to say hi.

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Bloggers Fling and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Garden Bloggers’ Fling – Bring Your Umbrellas to Toronto

1. I am sure it will be wonderful for Flingers…I wish I could have gone but not in the cards yet…maybe in the next few years….and yes definitely visit Niagara Falls….I need to make a visit again as it has been a while. Boy do we need the rain.

• It will be wonderful for the gardeners new to this area. I am sure quite a few have been to Niagara Falls since the Fling was in Buffalo, but it is still an exciting place because of the beauty and wonder of the Falls. Maybe you will be able to attend soon. I missed both Seattle and Portland because of signing up too late. Going to Toronto is not new for me, but it will be nice to see people I met on previous Flings.

2. Nurse Kelly says:

Gorgeous, Donna. I visited the Falls a few years ago – you inspire me to want to go back! Looking forward to seeing more 🙂

3. Couldn’t tell whether you are actually going to the fling. I would love to go but it is scheduled at the wrong time of year for people in the nursery business. We had a brief thunderstorm last evening but it is still incredibly dry and near 90 degrees every day.

• I am lucky that in my job I can work around travel. You have it much differently in that you need family members or employees to take over for you. Also because it is mostly the weekend, it is easier for most people to miss only a day or two of work. Yes, I am going to Toronto. Living so close, I don’t have to fly there. The storm threatened yesterday afternoon, but passed right over us.

4. Jennifer says:

The lack of rainfall is becoming a huge concern here in the GTA. The temperatures are high too. Already we have had 30+ days and it is only May. I laughed out loud when I say a Flinger asking about the “cooler temperatures of Toronto” and not knowing how to pack for the weather here. Any “cooler” Fling days will be an exception to the general trend of hot, dry days.
    I have had to break down and water. Usually that is not something I would have to do until August.
    I do hope however, that it doesn’t rain for the Fling!

• Ha, now one weather report only has Saturday with a thunderstorm instead of 3 of the 4 days. Another Toronto forecast has Sunday and Monday with rain. I wonder if our area will get any rain at all, or if any of the reporting bureaus will agree. I am not sure how long this drought can go on like it is? Like you said, it is the high heat too. At least it looks to a bit cooler in the 70’s. Fingers crossed on good weather, and rain BEFORE the Fling!

5. Laurin Lindsey says:

Thank you for the tips…looking forward to seeing you there! We are going to Niagara too : ) Hoping we don’t bring the rain with us…being from Houston I have had more than enough!

• It is nice you are going to Niagara. I am familiar with where you guys are headed. My friend and I might drive back on Tuesday for the Wildflower farm trip. Monday, we have garden club/gardenfest meetings so we had to return. Really, not missing much for the both of us though in Niagara. See you soon. We are coming by train. I was going to drive until I heard what the hotel was charging us to park. Highway robbery!!!!! All parking in Toronto is high though.

6. alesiablogs says:

I want to see the flower clock!!

7. I took a plant id class that ran 3 quarters and for almost an entire quarter it rained on us in each and every field class (each was 8 hours). One Saturday that was especial bad I can still remember seeing 20 horticulturists, gardeners, landscapers down on their hands and knees in the pouring rain looking at the smallest details on shrubs and trees so intent on seeing everything…Wet hair, soaked to the bone, not one of the 20 left a minute early. I have come to appreciate these people and I can not image the weather will be a problem for you.

8. Marna says:

I’ve never been to Niagara, hope to have an opportunity someday. Oddly, I’ve never done a selfie. Rarely use my phone camera.

• I never took a selfie besides the one on my blog sidebar. I took that with my laptop in 2012 so I don’t know if it counts. Using my IiPhone is a rarity for photos too. I hope you get to see the Falls sometime.

9. Can’t believe we are a week out. I am looking forward to meeting you in person and visiting all the gardens, rain or shine. I have visited Niagara Falls on the US side and am really looking forward to seeing it from the Canadian side.

• I know, so close it is right around the corner. This Fling, I am traveling lite. Just the tiny camera is coming. I realized that I must be the only blogger to not do many Fling posts, so what is the point of the photos? I only did one quick post from San Fran. With so many posting on the same places, there was no point in having more. Toronto, maybe I will post more only because it is more familiar to me. San Fran landscapes seemed so foreign (yet very beautiful and interesting) with all the succulents. Glad to meeting you as well.

• I am still trying to decide which camera/lenses to bring. I don’t want to lug around a heavy camera bag all day and I don’t think there will be time to change lenses and really focus on shots/composition, etc. I see it more as documenting gardens for my own reference/memories.

• If I were taking my D750 I would take the wide angle because of all the city and water scenes. Some gardens are public gardens and wide angle works best on them. But the 28-300 zoom is the most handy. You are covered from close-up and wide angle (not as good as the 17-35) to distance shooting. When at flings, I am always off on my own. I get so wrapped up in the photography that I wander off. It is amazing I never got lost from the group. It happens on all my travels too.

10. bittster says:

Hope you have a great time and the weather works out, but I bet even if it rains the storms won’t go on for too long.
    Nice photos, I think I’ll try and get passports together for the kids and make a trip up there this summer… Would have gone sooner but the passport thing is just one more thing to do, and there are so many other things on the list every summer!

11. I just looked at Wunderground for Toronto – it shows cloudy on Friday, but clear over the weekend. Let’s keep our fingers crossed! Looking forward to seeing you!

• Weather.com has us getting a storm Friday morning (40%). I think the storm front is moving too quickly to predict accurately. They have Monday (30%) and Tuesday (60%) with possible rain now. Only time will tell. We need rain and today we are getting light rain. After no rain for over a month, it is welcomed. I do hope it holds off for Toronto though. See you and Judy soon.

12. One of my favorite places to visit and photograph, Niagara Falls, Ontario! Of course it’s probably because I was born and raised in Niagara Falls, NY. When we were there last September, the roses were finished blooming, but the rest of their gardens were beautiful. I won’t be making it to the Garden Fling this year in Toronto. Maybe in the next year or so. Beautiful photos!