Terraced in Toronto – Garden Bloggers’ Fling 2015

Terraced-in-Toronto-18

I often get searches on gardens that are terraced and I guess this is good as time as any to profile a few. Currently taking a tour of more Canada gardens, so see you with more coming up.Our side of the border has quite a few terraced properties along the Niagara Gorge, but on the other side in Canada, there is a wonderful neighborhood built right up a steeply winding road.

Terraced-in-Toronto-16

The Swansea neighborhood overlooks the beautiful Highland Park, and the view is stunning of Grenadier Pond.

Terraced-in-Toronto-20

Terraced-in-Toronto-1

Terracing and building on such steep terrain is an engineering feat to say the least, but beautiful, upscale homes are perched high atop the highest point.  Properties plunge with steep stairs to match. Much rock was used to create these retaining walls and paths, and all are beautifully landscaped with appropriate hill hugging plantings.

Sloping terrain like found here means multi-level construction. Is your physical condition and energy compatible with climbing stairs throughout the day? Everyday? Can you afford the additional structural costs associated with building on steep, rocky property? Not to mention all the specialized machinery that is necessary to access a site like this.

Terraced-in-Toronto

Take the tour though the images and let me know if you would love to live here and walk these paths. How about building here?

Front or back, the gardens are well designed.

Terraced-in-Toronto-0

Natural dry laid stone battered back into the earth creates most of the retaining walls. No doubt, these are expensive homes.

The fabulous ironwork of artist, Wojtek Biczysko.

Terraced-in-Toronto-12 Terraced-in-Toronto-7

It is now garden tour time in our area, and I will be showing a lot of gardens like the last one, A Beautiful Woodland Garden Tour. I hope you are ready for ideas to make your own. Just think of that art piece above. What could you hang from a tree that would make an artistic and unique statement? A few cool things come to mind.

And… I will be showing you gardens from Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. Always well-appointed gardens there… stay tuned.

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Terraced in Toronto – Garden Bloggers’ Fling 2015

1. I like the way you managed to get the metal curtain and the curving fence in the same shot. How often is it that I wish I could go back and take more pictures of the same garden!

2. alesiablogs says:

Many of the houses in Seattle are built up on steep terrain. I often wondered especially the older ones the tremendous amount of work that went into building those homes. The scary part is when we have had more rain than we are having these days and we hear of homes coming down and falling into the water! It is unbelievable to see it.

3. Debbie says:

Can image what they all look like in winter!

4. What kind of specialized machinery would you need for these gardens?

5. Would I love to there on those properties? Are you kidding me, girl? Wow! Those are spectacular. I love the curving paths, the stonework, the woodland gardens, the fabulous garden art, the pops of color at each turn, the well-cared for but far from manicured look, and what I imagine to be the views. And though my knees are beginning to give me trouble, I’d find a way to climb those stairs and hike those paths everyday. But afford any of it? Afraid not. But your images let me dream.

6. Lovely. Part of my garden is terraced and I am just glad that I didn’t have to pay to build them.

7. Thanks for sharing more of these beautiful gardens, and for the details about the heavy work that goes into the terracing and landscaping of some of them. I love that ironwork fence, by the way!

8. I really enjoyed these gardens, they were undeniably beautiful. However, personally I would not exchange my type of garden for one that is so centered on an area with a steep ravine or slope. And I don’t just say that because of my old knees. There are all kinds of possibilities with slopes, and these gardens were delightful in how they made use of those possibilities. However, I am more accustomed and feel more attached to what you can do with a more horizontal space.

Wow! Those are beautiful homes with stunning gardens. The views must be gorgeous (though I can’t imagine how challenging icy winters must be on those steps!).

Challenging topography can result in the most wonderful gardens, as this post beautifully illustrates. However, not for me! Our first house was perched on the side of a mountain, and the earth sloped away in all directions. It had amazing views and was perfect for healthy adults. We realized it was time to move when our two small boys managed to build a snowman after one of our rare snowfalls, whereupon the snowman rolled down the hill and splattered into a million pieces!

11. John says:

Wow, those are some stunning gardens. My previous house in Southern California had a small, but steeply sloped portion of the front yard and I can remember the amount of work it took just for that small area. Even with machinery, there’s a massive amount of work involved in creating the gardens that you’ve photographed, and they look amazing. I have a great amount of respect for the folks who were involved in creating those gardens.

12. Loretta says:

So beautiful, such great ideas just looking through some of the landscape and hardscape.

13. Fabulous stone work and gardens…love these shots!