September Garden Color – A Reawakening to Things Around Us

Just a snapshot of September 2012, mere moments in time, a changing time. A few thoughts on the September garden of 2015 too.

Color comes in so many forms at the end of Summer with so many photographic opportunities. The clean light of Fall, camera in hand. It is a time to reflect on the summer’s past and look forward to the whites and greys of winter.

The light is different in winter, being cooler than the warm light of autumn, but it too inspires an appreciation of what nature brings. Color is complex, in variety, description and meaning.

The air is different as the sun rises and sets, both in color and intensity of hue. It is a time to get outside and experience the change in light, temperature and general ambiance of the changing days.

As summer comes to an end and the landscape goes so gently brown, it is a time to appreciate we still have things that change. Color brings vividness, life, vitality. Browning foliage and bloom symbolizes a time of rest.

You can just feel the resting and peace over the landscape. Perfection of the quieting landscape.

Bright color still exists in the garden, but will quickly fade as the temperatures drop. Busy bees will head underground or back to hives.

The garden and fields are in transformation.  A landscape of contradiction. Some of what we see is pretty and some is not. Some are blasting with color and some are not. Some show life and some do not. My own garden still is colorful, still in bloom, still bursting with life.

And it still has a lot of white.

The late summer rain heals a drought parched land in both September 2012 and its twin, 2015. We just had a welcomed down pour this past week. I rejoiced as rain fell after this very dry and hot summer in 2015.

The white blooms calm the garden. The rain calms the garden and spirit as well.

Even with little holes made by hungry insects the still beautiful roses don’t even hint that the summer is coming to an end. White softens the scene, brightens. It stops the eye in a landscape of color, but it stops the spirit as well, to linger a moment and drink up the calm.

2015 had a record number of hummingbirds in my garden feeding on petunia, monarda and trumpet vine. I showed some in an earlier post, yet now during their migration, the numbers have increased.

The same has occurred with the Monarchs too. I hope this increase is a sign of things to come, but not the dry summers.

The flowers await….

But time is running out…

Summer quiets down to allow individual voices to be heard over the vivacious crowds of color. A repost and rewrite of September past updated for 2015.

This entry was posted in garden, Nature, photos, wildflowers and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to September Garden Color – A Reawakening to Things Around Us

1. Color in the garden is the universe giving you a hug…Your photos are such great reminder of the treasures that surround us.

2. Loretta says:

Your photos are just incredible – your descriptions of the surroundings so succinctly described. Love, love it 🙂

3. aussiebirder says:

Beautiful post Donna, and what you said about colour and the seasons of change is so true when it comes to photography and capturing the sense of the season in its hues and colours. Thanks for sharing. I always love seeing photos of your beautiful hummingbirds in flight!

4. diggingher says:

Your photos are lovely, makes,me want to take out my camera and start snapping.

5. Your narrative is very descriptive and the photos match it perfectly! Thanks for sharing. Your photos are always beautiful and inspirational.

6. Your photos always astound me. So beautiful.

7. Lula says:

So beautiful! I love fall season and the subtle of the colors and garden getting dormant. In southern latitudes changes into winter are not so dramatic, but is a revival of nature after a hot, dry and long summer, in Majorca they call it a second spring, and it feels like it! I must admit I miss a lot northern autumns.

8. Ah, my dear Donna, what a post!!!!!!!! I say this a lot to you, but it’s true, you brighten my day! 🙂

9. Great shots! Gardens can still be beautiful in September!

10. Victor Ho says:

Good work as always. Great detail. I love the humming birds and the butterflies. I can appreciate the effort to get the right shot. All the best.

11. It’s still colorful outside – and your beautiful photographs prove it clearly! Sometimes the knowledge that this richness of colors or the warm breeze will end soon causes a feeling (a more slight and short feeling) of sadness. But soon thereafter I appreciate the change and I notice, I perceive (!) that nature – human beings, animals, plants .. – that they all really need this rest after months of activity, growth and so on. Concentrating on this change is wonderful! These new colours, other smells, different light, the dew, a sudden silence, wet spider webs …
    I really agree to your statements and liked your post a lot, Donna!

12. Great post – beautifully written and photographed. The hummingbird with the Monarda especially. Autumn seems very slow to take hold this year, we’re still having days in the 80s.

13. Indie says:

Such lovely blooms! I just saw my first Monarch up here in Massachusetts today in my garden. I do definitely hope it’s a sign of things to come. I love when there is a chill in the air and it starts feeling like fall. I don’t think we’re quite there yet, though!

14. I love what Charlies said at the beginning–so true. And, like Jason said, autumn is holding off here in the Midwest. I’m not complaining because I love summer, and the warm, sunny days are giving the hummingbirds and Monarchs extra time to prepare for migration. As you described, the colors this time of year are fascinating–from the end of summer, through to the end of autumn.

15. It was just a joy to scroll through your lovely, lovely photos. I enjoyed each one.

16. Brian Comeau says:

Fabulous post and images!

17. rose says:

I love your photos for many reasons, Donna, but one of the main reasons is that your close-ups make us notice things we might not ordinarily, whether it’s a ladybug on a bloom or a seed-head looking as lovely as any bloom. I like the softer light of autumn, too, and am looking forward to cooler temps but will miss the hummingbirds and butterflies when they leave. I’ve seen more Monarchs this year, too, though not a lot, and I hope that’s a sign of better times to come for them.

18. What an outstanding portfolio. Your pictures and thoughts are inspiring. Thanks.

19. I felt I had more hummingbirds visiting this year, but then, I had more to offer them. They really prefer real nectar to sugar water, don’t you think? And you have so much to offer them! Beautiful photos!

20. Oh Donna –

how frightening 😦
    I’m so glad you made it to the hospital safely and that you are getting the best care.

I actually thought of you today while taking a very similar photo to the one you posted here, of a bumble bee on a red aster!

Take all the time you need to get well for your trip and keep us posted.
    Sending healing thoughts and cyber hugs.
    Mary

Sent from my iPhone

21. Fabulous pictures…I love the light from September through November…sunrises and sunsets are fabulous lately.

22. arlene says:

I could not seem to find the comment page on your latest blog posts, hence I am commenting here. Do take care of your health Donna and get well soon. Praying for your quick recovery. I will surely miss your lovely posts.

23. Fantastic colours, thank you. As “arlene” says, do look after yourself, I have close family members (wife & 1 daughter) who have heart scares so I empathise. Richard.