Left For Europe

image

I am excited to be traveling to Vienna, Austria today. It is a long flight. VERY LONG.

image

My friend and I are visiting a beautiful city populated by polite and reserved people. Like Germans, this reserved nature may seem unfriendly, but that is not the case. They also are a well-dressed nation I have heard. Being from an area in Pennsylvania with many German families and being of German heritage, I am probably pretty reserved myself, so it should not be a big culture shock for me as an American.

image

The food is something I hope I like. I am not too fond of German foods like sausages, dumplings, spätzle or liverwurst, but I am sure it will be better than what I grew up having experienced.  Schnitzel and Kartoffelsalat are two foods I do like, yet my cardiologist would not like me having either. I am not a beer, wine or coffee drinker either, all beverages well-loved in the region. Chocolate though… yum.

image

Unfortunately since I have been sick, the doctors – and I have a whole slew of them – have me on a very restricted diet. I will have to forgo all those wonderful pastries, breads and heavy carbohydrate foods known in the region. I have been living on lots of fruit, green vegetables, yogurt, fish and chicken breast, plus an arsenal of vitamins and medications. At least on the ship where I will be staying, the food is so varied with much in which to choose. I can even have chicken breast specially made to order.

image

I am excited to see a place flecked with grand architecture, opera houses, palaces, art and museums. I love culture and don’t get much of it at home in WNY. In Pennsylvania, I find more cultural heritage on the whole. In Vienna, culture abounds.

The Belvedere Palace and Museum pictured in this post, was the residence of Prince Eugene of Savoy. The Palace currently houses art of the great masters. The museum includes the largest collection of Gustav Klimt, including his most famous work, The Kiss.

This trip is such a wonderful adventure. I hope to keep you posted from my iPad on my impressions providing internet is available.

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Left For Europe

1. Happy travels, my dear Donna! 🙂 xx

2. aussiebirder says:

How exciting Donna! Have a wonderful time, and keep well. This is one place I so want to visit, if it is granted me, in the next few years.

3. swo8 says:

That sounds wonderful, Donna. Are you going to go to any concerts?
    Leslie

• Yes Leslie, I was at musical program that included two opera singers, dancing duets doing ballet and formal dance, and the small group of orchestral musicians. Today we saw a church organ recital. This was great. Vienna is such a wonderful cultural music center with highly prized composers.

4. Wonderful pictures – so enjoy your blog!

5. cookie says:

Happy travels. Be safe. We were just here in June. SO beautiful. I would have loved to have spent a week there.

6. Maria F. says:

Have a very nice time Donna!

7. Søren says:

Welcome to Europe!
    Vienna is lovely. I really hope you enjoy…
    But… When you mentioned all your dietary restraints I instantly thought of Tian (http://www.taste-tian.com/en/restaurant/at/vienna/). It’s a beautiful restaurant with the most amazing vegetarian food I have ever tasted. If you want to splash out on fine dining without ignoring the doctors’ orders, this is the place to go. It is unbelievably good.

• Søren says:

Oh, and the Meierei im Stadtpark can also be recommended, though best for lunch when you can enjoy the view of the park.

• Thank you so much for your suggestions. We have found some nice restaurants, one tonight being frequented by locals. It had a young, hip crowd too, so you know the food was good and reasonably priced.

8. Have a safe and happy trip, observe your diet…Enjoy Austria, I have just seen Innsbruck so I am looking forward to your photos.

9. Are you river cruising? What ship, may I ask. We visited Vienna in winter–very formal architecture but very warm people. The horses and a visit to an obcsure cafe we came across ( but well-known) were my favorites. Hope you’re visiting Salzburg! Keep well and enjoy!

• Hi, we are going aboard ship tomorrow. I am in love with the architecture and met the friendliest Austrian woman tonight in a local cafe. She invited us to the table she was vacating and sat to talk with us for a while. We chatted and when she left, gave us some Austrian chocolate. What a nice person.

• A lovely way to spent time–with the locals! The Lipizzaners are so beautiful. We saw their stables and it was difficult to walk away. It is so easy to run on pure adrenalin when traveling to a new and exciting place, so make sure you’re getting plenty of rest. Sounds incredibly wonderful. I feel your energy!

10. So happy for you that you were able to travel. Your photos are lovely. Enjoy your travels!

• Thank you Sue. My health has been OK but the weather/air pressure has been bothering me a bit. I suppose it gets some getting used too. We have wonderful sunny weather, but I am getting tired more easily. I am guessing it is not the jet lag, but something with the air pressure.

11. Have a wonderful trip, Donna! It seems like a wonderful time of year to visit Austria. I’ll look forward to more posts about your adventures!

12. christie says:

I hope your experience will be as wonderful as mine has been. Just finished 16 days from Vienna to Istanbul and now 7 days in Paris. Wonderful sightseeing and beautiful surroundings as I traveled. Wishing you happy travels
    J. Christina

13. Enjoy your trip, Donna. I hope you will get the right meals and foods. I’m pretty sure that today you won’t find only the typical German foods which are forbidden to you and which you don’t like so much. Nowadays there is (even in the Southern parts of Germany) a large variety of restaurants which do not offer “heavy” German food exclusively but also meals of Mediterranian or Asian style. And even German style doesn’t mean automatically that it has to be liverwurst, sausages and so on. As many people went veggie there is still the possibility to choose light meals made of vegetable. Most of the restaurants put such meals on their menu.

Have a good time!
    Michèle

• Thank you for your suggestions. I have been finding lovely salads and of course the Wiener schnitzel which is so tasty. I also had some really good pastries and even a bit of the breads. The Vienna sausage kinda looks and tastes like a hot dog one of the travelers told us. I am glad I did not have that. I thought my German language skills would have been better too. I am better reading it than speaking, but menus are still hard to understand since they do not always have foods common to us from the US.

14. Hi, we’ve been to Vienna last September, beautiful place. You must visit the Schonbrun Palace for the gardens, they are spectacular. Have fun 🙂

• We were there today and boy was the Palace spectacular, very impressive. The gardens are lovely, although most beds were cut down. I could still see begonia in beds, yet cold spells must have set them back.

15. arlene says:

It’s nice to hear from you again Donna. Enjoy the trip 🙂

16. I think chocolate has medicinal properties. I’m sure it’s good for the soul! Have a great trip.

17. If you visit Hamburg, Germany I know you’ll love Park Planten un Blomen – Hamburg – TripAdvisor
    http://www.tripadvisor.com › … › Hamburg › Things to Do in Hamburg
    116 acres of beauty and it’s sponsored by the city and FREE. I was there in September and was so impressed.

18. I love German food and have some German heritage as well. Would love to visit the Austria-German areas even Switzerland someday. Can’t wait to see what you find…should be a fabulous trip. I know you will enjoy yourself even with all the restrictions. Safe travels Donna!

19. I’m so happy you are well enough to travel, after your scary experience Donna! It’s probably 40 years since I was in Austria, but the wonderful memories have remained! Austria is my favorite country on the European continent and Saltzburg is my favorite city. Continue to enjoy your wonderful new experiences, dear friend. Don’t push yourself when you are feeling really tired — (speaking as a mother now.) P. x

• Thank you so much, Pam. I heard Saltzburg was wonderful from other travelers, but we did not get there. I really did like Vienna though, the music, art and architecture. Not surprising you thought Austria your favorite. Too bad it is past garden time.

20. rose says:

I’m so glad to hear that you are feeling well enough to travel, Donna! I visited Vienna while in college as well as Salzburg, which was many, many years ago, I remember being so impressed by how beautiful the city was and so clean. I also remembered going to the Hotel Sacher (sp.) for the orginal Sacher torte on the recommendation of another student. My friend and I were on limited funds and had no idea how expensive one dessert in such a grand hotel would be! It was delicious, though:) Enjoy your trip!

• I really liked Vienna, but where we stayed at a Ramada, the area of town was rather dirty and a bit shabby. I found out the price for a night’s stay was extreme in the center of the city (like the Hotel Sacher), so I guess that is why the Ramada choice by the cruise company. The city is extremely safe though. People who got the torte said it was dry and very expensive. I was glad I did not get some. Thanks Rose. I am having fun. Tomorrow…Germany.