The Cruise Ship is Still Stuck!

image

Well, not literally, but not moving ahead anymore. Yes, we had a great time in Regensburg despite the long bus ride to get there. It is such a quaint town that still has that Medieval feel. I want to be happy about visiting the town, but we arrived by bus rather than river ship due to low water levels.

Regensburg was founded by Marcus Aurelius over 2000 years ago and is one of the best preserved cities of the medieval times. It was spared being bombed during World War II. Part of the Roman walls can still be seen from 70 AD.

I crossed the Steinerne Brücke Bridge built in 1135, many of my photos were taken from this bridge, photo below.

image

This was such a thrill to think some of my ancestors also made their way over this bridge. I could tell you more on this interesting city, but don’t want to bore you with any more of the history.

Back to my river boat problem. The captain keeps us updated and says we are still to be docked with no idea if the boat can resume sailing. Most likely, we will be bussed out of here on Wednesday.

Sunday we were headed further into Bavaria, again by a two hour bus ride. That is four hours of lost time, yet this is a trip we would  have had to elect to pay to take. We were not going to take this $80 trip, but the cruise company is including it for free since the boat is stuck in Vilshofen.

On Monday, we went to Nuremburg, and that is an even longer bus ride, almost three hours one way. Needless to say, a few passengers are already grumbling and wanting to be reimbursed for our inconvenience. I am not sure what will happen for the next leg of the trip since places on our schedule keep getting to be a further drive. They have talked on sending us by bus to be housed in a hotel in Frankfurt, but a number of other cruise ships have already taken this option. What accommodations that still remain will be looked into for Wednesday. We were told we may get 5 star accommodations by being late to the “party”.

image

It has been a bit of a disappointment not to sail to these locations. I have become very fond of sailing on this river ship too. It is also a long trip to get to the Netherlands by bus, but the cruise company is doing everything they can to make us happy. The bus rides are their only option too. Oh, well… an adventure awaits. I will show Nuremburg next post. It was a beautiful city. I was not expecting that either. See you from Frankfurt next.

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Cruise Ship is Still Stuck!

1. Cathy says:

Loved the history and would definitely love to hear more!

• Yes, I think I’ll have to travel through you right now. Well, you and Rick Steves, I love his travel video’s. Especially the ones in Germany!!! Make sure you eat some of the black forest cake for me that I keep seeing. Your photo’s are lovely. And I bet it’s a whole lot busy now than in summer. Until then, I’ll only see Germany Friday night on the Amazing race, so another couch trip for me.

2. alesiablogs says:

You were 20 minutes from my immediate family in Nuremburg….It sounds sad the cruises were messed up….Busing is just not the same when you really want the boats. You have the right attitude about it all.

3. susurrus says:

That’s such a shame. I can see you’re seeing some wonderful sights but I can understand that you’d prefer to be sailing rather than driving.

4. Sorry about all the shuffling around, but it sounds like you’re making the best of it with your positive attitude. Adventures are always fun, and having an open mind can make the whole unexpected experience fun! Thanks for the photos and info about Regensburg. I admit it’s not a destination I would have considered, but now I really want to visit that town in particular. Enjoy the next leg of your trip!

5. We used the train when we were in Bavaria. It was fast, dependable and comfortable. Frankfurt is a large and modern city.

6. Maria F. says:

Hope you are having a good time despite mild inconveniences!

7. Love the history and background information to your photos; really enjoy the photos. Sorry about the disruptions in your plans.

8. bittster says:

Hope your travel luck changes for the better…. cruising does sound like much more fun than a bus ride. I’m looking forward to Nuremburg, we were there several years ago and it was a favorite.

9. Indie says:

Oh no! That is too bad about the boat. It looks like such a lovely area that you were able to see, though, and what history! It’s amazing to think about just how old some of those structures are.

10. Frustrating, but you are right to try to make the best of it and not let it ruin your once in a lifetime trip.

11. I didn’t know there were cities in southern Germany that go back to Roman days – Regensburg must have been a remote outpost for the Romans! It does look like a beautiful city. I hope the water levels rise and you can proceed on your cruise.

12. londarmonica says:

Amazing images, thank you

13. Sorry you couldn’t enter Regensburg by boat, Donna. You seem to be making the most of the inconveniences thought. Oh, and your ‘history’ pieces are never boring! P. x

14. lucindalines says:

Keep sharing this is so beautiful and your pictures are fantastic. Hope things work out well.

15. Exactly what can you do but go with the flow…I must say this is my favorite town with the medieval feel and Roman walls, not mention the beautiful painted buildings and market.