Nuremberg, The Town of Many Faces

image

When we first arrived by bus, we saw the icons of Nuremberg’s dark history from the time of the Holy Roman Empire to the atrocities of the Third Reich. We drove through the Dokumentationzentrum Reichsparteitagsgelända, a large unfinished complex commissioned by Hitler for National Party gatherings. The facility made for a very humbling experience. I have photos on my D 750, but honestly, the structure does not need promoting. It is stark, heavy and monumental.

Below, you see old Nuremberg surrounded by the historic city walls and mote, built between the 12th and 16th centuries. The medieval town comes to life in the midst of bustling modern city.

We grove past the oldest Jewish cemetery in the area that was untouched by WWII, shown at the opening of the post. What I never envisioned was the beauty in this town. The people of the town are very proud and caring of Nuremberg, yet very conscious of the dark history.

image

After arriving in the town center, a few of us stopped at a very cute restaurant for Nuremberg sausages, sauerkraut, potato salad, and potato soup. It was a delightful sampling of authentic Nuremberg cuisine. I have to say, I am all strudeled out having it at so many meals, but the bakery shops in every town beckoned me to visit. We later shopped the Nuremberg Hauptmarkt, the site of the town’s annual Christkindlesmarkt.

After lunch, four of us visited the medieval Kaiserburg, or Imperial Castle. The round tower of the castle dates from the 12th century. I was really impressed by the residential buildings of half-timbered houses inside the castle grounds, shown in the gallery above. You must admit the cathedrals are awe inspiring too.

Schöner Brunnen, the 14th-century replica water feature which translates to ‘beautiful fountain’ was covered for construction, but we did see the St Lawrence Church, rebuilt after World War II.

We had a few cloudy gray days here in Germany which seems rather appropriate for the luck we had been having on the river boat.

I would love to report smooth sailing, but sadly we faced sore butts since leaving by bus on Wednesday. So far, we spent more than 24 hours riding busses.

Internet has been pitiful on this trip too. First the boat, now in Frankfurt!!!! They expect us to PAY big bucks for an Internet connection in the InterContinental Frankfurt. Free WIFI is limited to first getting a constantly changing password and looooong user name, and they only last a couple of hours in the LOBBY. None of us wants to sit in a busy hotel lobby, so I doubt you will hear from me until Amsterdam if I am lucky to have it there. Anyway… we have been seeing some wonderful places. More on that in a few days. Hope all is well in the States. No news here on anything happening there. Happy trails to all of you.

image

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Nuremberg, The Town of Many Faces

1. lulu says:

Internet connections can be tricky when you travel abroad and not too many places are free. Sigh!

2. The first time I had that potato soup was in Germany and now I make it at home. It’s delicious! What a beautiful city.

3. Thanks for going to the trouble of finding Internet connections to share updates with us. It’s always fun to follow people’s travel adventures! Germany has certainly been through a roller-coaster ride of history. The stories are fascinating. Stay safe and have fun!

4. cookie says:

Our first stop when we did our river cruise. Beautiful gardens, lovely

5. The thing that really struck me about Germany was how heavy the food was compared to my normal diet, and that I lost weight in my two week visit. It could be that people in Germany walk everywhere; they didn’t seem to believe in people movers, escalators, or elevators.

6. thequeenofseaford says:

Donna, our last time in Germany we lived in a small village north of Nuremberg. Took company to ‘downtown’ to Nuremberg to sightsee. Daughter’s first grade class had a field trip to the Christkindlesmarkt. It is an amazing town. You should have been able to smell the gingerbread, ‘lebkuchen’ being made in multiple factories in town. They start baking in October and the aroma is heavenly. Our first time in Germany we lived in Frankfurt. Two great towns to visit!

7. Andrea says:

Thanks for keeping us updated, i hope you are very well. I am very familiar with that city inside my head because of the so many books i’ve read about what you mentioned as ‘dark history’! And yes the city in your photos are beautiful, specially that church, awesome. I remember the buildings in Strasbourg that looks almost the same in structural design because it is in the border of Germany. Enjoy more and have a safe trip home.

8. alesiablogs says:

I spent numerous days in that area. I miss it so much and my family there. It brought tears to my eyes…

9. Thank you for the wonderful photographic tour. Fascinating history you are experiencing there, from so many eras. Hope you’re feeling well!

10. Another amazing city, Donna. I hope you resume the river route soon — is it possible? Imagine being ‘strudeled out’ — I wish! P. x

11. I’m surprised the wifi is so poor. I had been under the impression that generally Europe had superior wifi service. I must say it would take a LOT of strudel for me to get strudeled out.

12. bittster says:

Mmmmmm, I’m just thinking about all that tasty food 🙂
    Beautiful photos and a beautifully restored city. Still I prefer it from our end, and even in light of recent tragedies I far prefer our day and age to that of the past.

I’ve enjoyed the morning catching up on your adventures in Austria and Germany. I’m sorry that your cruise was interrupted but it seems you are making the most of the situation.

14. What an amazing city…I would love to eat German food in Germany….love it and my favorite bakeries have always been German…oh those pastries and cakes….I hope you find Amsterdam all I have heard it is…wonderful!

The dark sky is a stunning backdrop. Great post.

16. Your photographs continue to be powerful, strong and inspirational. Is your Nikon 750 single lens?
    Be safe and well for 2016.

17. Having a short weekend break in Nuremberg now, a short break still lets you see everything, drink viel biere and würste, and visit outlying towns like Erlangen. We’ve really enjoyed our trip and will be writing about it upon our return.
    Your post was very interesting to read and I will check out some of your other posts!
    GI.