Vacation Travel is NOT a LIE

image

I read a post by Dale Partridge that was titled,
VACATIONS LIE.

His words….

image

“Culture tells us to spend an entire year saving for a week to escape our life. We call it vacation. Even as I’m on this incredible road trip across the Northwest with my family, something doesn’t feel right. Vacations are meant to be new, they are meant to be fun, but they are not meant to be better than your normal life. I’ve been all around the world, and I would never trade travel for what I have at home. Life isn’t about the 50 vacations you’ll take while you’re on this planet. It’s about the 25,000 days between them. Stop creating a life that you need a vacation from. Instead, move to where you want to live, do what you want to do, start what you want to start, and create the life you want today. This isn’t rehearsal people. This is YOUR life.”

image

He makes a few big assumptions. One, that people can do these things and not necessarily work at a job they were lucky enough to land, feed their family regularly, keep a roof over their heads and have the money and where with all to pick up and make these changes. Not everyone has that opportunity for change. They have a life, one just not structured like a vacation.

image

He went on to say, “Vacations… are not meant to better than normal life.”  News flash. Vacations are supposed to be better in some way, why else would one travel? They are a rest from the day-to-day activities and responsibilities like I mentioned above. Vacations enrich life, not escape from it.

image

He took a hit from readers and I had to agree with most of them. Some said that “vacations are part of LIVING our lives.” I could not agree more. When you travel you learn, you experience, you explore, you refresh, and you rejuvenate. He did note vacations are new and fun, but… then the well, you get the picture. Vacationers get in touch with other cultures, cuisine, and get to meet people who will enrich their lives.They can learn from travels, then apply that to everyday life. When I returned from Eastern Europe last year, I started making culinary dishes like those I enjoyed abroad.

I happen to love my profession, something I worked hard to achieve, yet what I do is very challenging creatively, intellectually, and quite demanding of my time and abilities. Vacations provide a respite from daily responsibilities and are a means to energize my creativity. Seeing beautiful places is not escaping one’s life, it is experiencing life, like other commenters said far more eloquently.

It is always an adventure, and if you have been following my recent travels to Germany, adventure is an understatement.

Images in this post are from Wertheim and Heidelberg, both of which are in Baden-Württemberg, Germany, and Würzburg in Franconia and my last post on Nuremberg, we were still in the state of Bavaria.

If I could travel where ever I wanted and could afford, I definitely would, and it is no reflection on the life I created. They are just different parts of the same life. While I’ll never live in a castle or experience medieval life, being in one with an active imagination of the times certainly enriches my life. It also makes me appreciate what I have and the way I live this life today.

image

Do you agree with Dale Partridge? Since I am on VACATION…his words hit home for me and certainly not in the way he intended.

I wrote this post from home, but added the photos from my trip. Today, the trip to Koblenz by bus, then we are off to Amsterdam for an even longer bus ride. Oh, do I miss the boat.

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Vacation Travel is NOT a LIE

1. alesiablogs says:

You have had a great trip. The boat part is sad though, yet it seems you haven’t let it bother you very much. You have webt with the flow with or without the boat!! In regards to what a vacation is or is not I suppose is all in one’s perspective. I love where I live , but I love getting away from my routine to see what it is like some where else!! Sometimes I travel to visit family and friends, but that is out of my normal life so I enjoy it immensely. Other vacations I enjoy are seeing the sights, but I enjoy those sights best when things are mostly laid back. I enjoyed all your photos!!!

2. swo8 says:

. Hi Donna, vacation has never been a lie for us. We backpacked and stayed in cheap hotels just to get to see these places. It did change us forever. My cooking changed as well. We walked the streets and talked to the people.
    Leslie

Sounds like he was experiencing travel fatigue! I appreciate his comment that we should seek to create a life we don’t want to escape from, but I agree with everything you said about vacations adding to and enriching our lives. I would add that one does not necessarily have to travel far to experience a “vacation.” When one of my sons visited from Oregon a couple of years ago, we played “tourist” and visited some some spots in and around Birmingham with camera in hand and fresh eyes. It was a lot of fun! And enriching; we learned some B’ham history and we also had fun exploring local trails and a waterfall, which I had not seen in many years. One more point: vacations give us a lot of photo opportunities, as shown by the fantastic pictures you have posted. Thanks for sharing them with us!

4. Some pretty weighty thoughts in all that prose. I think it all boils down to live totally within each moment, enjoy every second; enjoy being at home, enjoying being at work, and enjoy the travel you are able to do. If any of that isn’t true for you then you know what to change.

5. So first I looked up Dale Partridge, because I had never heard of him before. It seems he’s a consultant who makes a lot of money by telling other people how they can make money (presumably not by telling even more people how to make money, because there’s a limited number of people who can do that). I admit to being a little prejudiced about consultants because some of them (not all, I know) are basically flimflam persons who cover up a lack of substantive knowledge with a lot of jargon. I would say the phrase “VACATIONS ARE LIES” is jargon. Or maybe gibberish would be a better description. In other words, it’s basically nonsensical. Vacations are by definition different from your workaday life. That does not make them lies. Vacations are one of the luxuries of modern life, and thank goodness we have them. For the vast majority of people, work is hard and often unpleasant. It’s wonderful that a small number of people are able to have jobs so joyous that every day is like a vacation. Sadly, this will never be more than a small fraction of humanity. For the rest of us, a vacation is a darned nice thing. That does not make it a lie.

6. johnvic8 says:

My great grandfather came from Baden. Have always wanted to see the place…perhaps I should take a vacation trip there. I did see Heidelberg and loved it.

7. Partridge says vacations ‘are not meant to be better than your normal life.’ I believe they are meant to be better, or at the very least ‘different’ for all the reasons you, Donna, so eloquently give. I agree with Charlie that at home, work, or on vacation we should live for the moment. I must say I am enjoying your vacation — I enlarged all the pictures in this posting — so beautiful! P. x

8. Vacations can be all sorts of things – a break from what we do every day, a challenge to get outside our comfort zone, a chance to see family and friends, a time to relax and be lazy. None of these are lies. Sometimes, we can’t afford to go away, so we have a holiday at home and pretend to be tourists, going on touristy walks we don’t usually do, sightseeing and generally being silly – once we did a ‘cruise around Tasmania’, driving up to see my parents in the next little town and staying at a little bed and breakfast on the way in a village we had always just driven through. They’re some of our best vacations, haha!

9. Emily Scott says:

Hmm, as you point out, from a practical point of view it’s just not that simple to keep moving to new far-away places. There may be language barriers and visa issues that will stop you getting a job and making a living there. There may be no jobs at all doing what you do in your chosen location, or no-one willing to give a job to you. It’s a big risk.

Then there are ties back home – moving the other side of the world from the rest of your family is not for everyone. Do you uproot children from school? Leave behind elderly parents?

10. Andrea says:

I agree the most with Jason’s comment above (gardeninacity). I didn’t look at all at the source you commented on, but my vacations are parts of my life and consider them blessings. Not many people in my conditions and status can have those vacations, mine are mostly work extended to vacation to take advantage of so many things. Purely personal vacations are very few and only to nearby places with less cost, as we are not as blessed as you people in western countries. But i cherrish all of them as life enriching experiences. Whenever i return from vacations, i am truly refreshed, energized, inspired and more alive!

11. Victor Ho says:

Ouch! You hit a nerve. I got no complaints. Things can be better and they can be worse. Play the card you were dealt.

12. It’s really a pity that due to the long lasting low water levels the boat couldn’t make the trip as announced and planned. I know how exhausting long coach rides are … Nevertheless it seems to me that you enjoyed your journey, though.

I can only agree to your feelings about vacation. It’s all what you mentioned!
    I don’t see it as a lie and I don’t assume that the majority tries to escape from usual life, needs to forget “terrible” work completely or what ever so. Human beings are curious, they are interested in experiences, in culture, in foreign countries, in other people, in landscapes, history, nature etc.
    But – on the other hand – those who travel expecting the journey or a one week stay elsewhere to be the way to achieve a complete change of their (miserable) daily life or see it as an escape from problems, they will often be disappointed as vacations don’t present a solution if you are struggling with life in general. The problems won’t end in smoke only because of short change of location.

Sending you best wishes, Donna!
    Michèle

13. mazza18467 says:

Looks like you had a great trip, the memories and pics will keep it alive.

14. Hi, I think what you are saying is true. Vacations are different parts of the same life. And you are right to say that not everyone has the ability or resources to live the perfect real life. I also think you do bring home parts of a vacation that you can hold onto and enjoy for years to come. Happy travels!

15. bee1designs says:

Hi Donna,
    Gosh, your photos are so magical. Thank you for posting them.
    Hugs, Barbara

16. I do see his point. There are people who are miserable in their jobs and live for the weekend. It’s not ideal to spend most of your time unhappy, waiting for a small respite. You should do your best to make sure your regular life is something you enjoy. Then as you pointed out, your vacations aren’t escapes, but enriching experiences. Great photos!

17. I like the way you express this. For me travel was important when I was younger and still could be but I agree home is where your life should be full. Whenever we would come home from a family holiday my Mum would say’ there’s no place like home’. Hope you’re enjoying your trip and it can be so important to see different ways of life even though it sometimes bring challenges.

18. No I do not agree with him….I travel to see family, and see new places and have wonderful experiences….I wish I could travel more as i would…the world is accessible to us and I for one would love to explore it more.

I agree with you: vacations are meant to enrich the lives we’re living. That said, I don’t take nearly enough of them.

Fabulous photos.

20. Les says:

My wife’s godmother, a Holocaust survivor and avid traveler, never referred to them as vacations, they were travels to her. She spoke of banking memories to replay in your mind whenever you needed them.

21. roseman7stan says:

It appears to me that you are a deep thinker as am I. I like reading your posts and enjoy your photos very much. You have been places and seen things that I shall never see here, some places that my heart yearns to see but my eyes never will in person. So by photos I am allowed at least a peek at the beauty such places behold. I have not been able to take a real vacation in 12 years due to financial happenings that related to the economy and helping family members get through some very tough times. The money simply is not there, even trying to save, something always seems to come up and makes one feel selfish or self absorbed to use the money we have tried to save for our personal joy while others struggle so. Thank goodness there are those that can travel all over this world and thank goodness they also know how to use a camera and use it well I might add.