Cherry Blossom Time

Oriole

How do you like the oriole? It was painted on my iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil using a $5.99 app called Procreate.  Did you see the painted hummingbirds?

Cherry-Blossoms-with-Birds

I did a few more bird and cherry blossom illustration paintings, spending much more time creating them. Two are of robin fledglings (so cute) and a male adult robin, all sitting among the cherry blossoms, saving them for possible sale.

I am painting on the iPad more and more. It is just too much fun.

“How to Photograph Cherry Blossoms”

Anyway, you probably are not all that interested in learning about my painting activities, but rather want to see the cherry blossom bloom in our area. But this post was spurred on by another blogger’s post, and had something to do with photography instead.

A few weeks ago, I ran across a post on “how to take better photos of cherry blossoms” and had to take a peek. To my surprise, not one image was really worth the lessons this blogger was sharing. I cannot remember the website, but was very glad it was not a photographer of which I am familiar.

I kept surfing and did find images that a professional took in Japan and his images were absolutely stunning.

The pro in Japan shot the scene rather than close-ups of the blossoms. He selected areas of the full landscape (in beautiful light of course) which gave a much better feel to the scene yet still showcased the beautiful blossoms. This year, we have yet to have beautiful morning or evening light. Here in Seattle, the Rhododendron and azaleas are in bloom. Maybe a post on that when I return later this week.

Willow-in-Spring

What most interests me as a naturalist enthusiast is what the blossoms attract. BEAUTIFUL BIRDS. And the birds come for the gnats and other insects feeding at the blossoms. If someone wants to do a tutorial on cherry blossoms, they should include the birds. It adds a lot to the close up images. Another reason to show cherry blossoms is for the birds feeding. These ornamental plants do a great service during bird migration time.

When I compared the two photographers, the one showing just the blossoms had very boring images. The one showing the trees in context to the landscape had award-winning images. I suppose it is a matter of what one wants to see, but at cherry blossom time the massing of the trees is what is so beautiful. The birds are too.

Oriole-from-behind

This entry was posted in Birds, garden, Nature, Trees and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Cherry Blossom Time

1. David says:

This is a whole bunch of wonderful pictures. I agree in that I sometimes think the whole scene can be more interesting than just the blossom.

2. Andrea says:

Wow Donna, that is another something very interesting, i know when you do it, you do it to perfection. I wish you more fun time. I love the birds too but i can spend long time at a picture even without them, as in that yellow willow tree on the pond edge. I haven’t seen cherry blossoms, just the plums and some apple blossoms. Maybe they look almost the same as they are in the same genus. \how are you, i mean your health?

3. alesiablogs says:

Good post. We all find something interesting in different shots . My shots vary from my sons who can do a great job too but different. It makes photograghy so much fun!

4. swo8 says:

I think you drawings are quite good, Donna. I’m surprised you can get such detail from the app. What a wonderful time this Cherry Blossom time! Thanks for the photos.
    Leslie

5. Loved your photos of the birds in the trees! Just gorgeous! I recently saw a short demonstration on “painting on your iPad/tablet” and became interested in it. I’ll have to try it. It looks like fun. Thanks for the reminder!

6. Your painting sounds like a ton of fun, and your photos are beautiful. I love the little birdies added in. Who knew that they weren’t there all the time.

7. Victor Ho says:

Nice thoughts as always. It’s good insight. I find that I visualize a perfect image and then wait till it shows up. Maybe soon. Many times it’s much later. Macro vs wide angle. Add a bird. Head on, looking at the eyes… yes. I, too, get a lot of tail shots. Hey, there was a bird, but the ideal shot is still out there somewhere… Great post.

8. Lula says:

Cherry blossoms are past here in Madrid, but we now have other tress in full bloom, like cercis. I love this time of the year, it’s like living in dreamland, and we need more of this sensations to balance daily life! Thanks!

9. Kevin says:

It’s always so interesting to me to see the seasons in other parts of the country — and to then compare them to the different zones. Zone 10 is far, far beyond cherry blossom time. 🙂

10. Thank you for this feast-of-photos…really made my morning.

11. Now that you point it out to me I can see that the pictures showing cherry blossom would indeed be glanced at, the inclusion of the birds, stops you in your tracks.

12. Those are helpful tips. It looks like some of your shots are at Forest Lawn– I’ll check that out. Trying to get good shots of the trees in the Japanese Garden behind the Science Museum is difficult because you can’t step back far enough to get a whole tree.

13. I couldn’t agree more…cherry blossoms are better massed in landscape photos. I have seen many from Japan from bloggers there but never any birds included so this was a nice addition. And I love seeing your ipad painting!

Your last photo illustrates your point perfectly! Not many things are more beautiful than the types of scenes shown in this post. By the way, I have a pet peeve: Why do so many gardeners think pink and yellow automatically clash? I suppose it’s a matter of opinion, but look at the photo of the weeping tree with its spectacular golden foliage and the pastel pink blooms nearby. Gorgeous!

15. Just gorgeous. We have begun the Oriole season here but we have seen only a few compared to prior years. Maybe we need more blossoms!

16. I would love to see Golden Orioles. They are high up on poplars near my friend’s Finca so can hear them. I love your iPad painting and you are spot on with your tips about blossoms. Although I tried to draw cherry blossom once for a botanical art course, petal by petal!