June Garden – No Time For Resting Plants

Hosta

Hello, hot, sticky July.

Shade or sun, heat or blasting furnace, the garden blooms. Hold you hat, because it is impossible to tour my garden without loads of photos, and a more intimate look at plant companions. Not to miss the colorful and far too sunny and dry June garden as we stroll into July.

Butterfly-weed

June-12-2016

June is a month that the bloom just never stops! The two images above show little change from the beginning of the month to the end, other than that one red lily reaching for the sky. It is a mutant I think since the other red lilies are much shorter.

There are long-blooming perennials in the garden, like the butterfly weed, pincushion flower, and sage. But… some plants you can see above are still only foliage (Russian Sage, Daylilies, Asters and Hibiscus) but are ready for July.

Compare the June garden side-by-side to my May post, a drastic change of the color palette. The plant partners really change greatly as the May plants take a snooze.

Like my last post, a full garden requires some culling and lots of seedling removal or it would be far too crowded. The airy, sway in the breeze look of the taller self-seeding plants makes the garden feel like a meadow. It is a refreshing feel, but work to move around those numerous seedlings in spring.

June-Garden

Two weeks from the image below, the daylily, Jamaican Me Crazy in bud is blooming.

June-Garden-Front

The Asiatic lilies in bloom often bloom with the Daylilies. The Lilac tree is past bloom come the end of June as the flowers fade to yellow-brown. I should have pictured them in full bloom. A very nice small tree.

Lilac-Tree

I do like to show a garden in its entirety rather than that “special beauty shot of one flower”. You cannot get a sense of a garden without seeing plants that bloom together.

Ok, here is the Jamaican Me Crazy Daylily portrait, shown with its partner, Butterfly Weed.

Jamaican-Me-Crazy

How is your garden surviving the heat and lack of rain?

Speaking of heat, we were in the 90’s this week, with high humidity. To see if the garden fades in July, see it here. This post will discuss the Dusty Doldrums of Summer. Talk about doldrums…we have had zero rain since April 4th. Even days that had 80% chance of rain produced nothing. Today they say 40%, so we’ll see. It has been days and days of watering, I shudder at the water bill.

Having those heat tolerant standbys, like Daisies, Monarda and Echinacea is a blessing. Verbena bonariensis is also long-blooming and does not mind the heat.

Monarda

Containers – they’re portable color, but thirsty every day. In the Garden Walk Buffalo region, every garden niche is planted.  That is a lot to water when we have too.

Heavily planted Garden Walk Buffalo gardens are small enough to maintain, but just barely. A lot of work and a lot of watering. Gardens there are not unlike my own garden with color every where.

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to June Garden – No Time For Resting Plants

1. David says:

I love your garden, it looks like a macro photographer’s dream. I’ve been busy just trying to keep my little brand new garden alive. Terrible heat and sun this June so trying to keep adequate water without causing mold or mildew. Still trying to fend off the rabbits and squirrels that are wrecking havoc. Despite the challenges I am making progress and except for the wildlife problems, I’m enjoying the work. Can’t wait till I have blooms to photograph which should be any day now.

• Hi David,
      Thank you, a lot happens out there. I just raised a Monarch from a caterpillar and left her go in my garden a few days ago. The skippers and Cabbage butterflies welcomed her by landing on her flower as she warmed her wings. She left after five hours, but I am sure she got a good meal before flying on her way. We too have not had any rain since April 4th. It is getting ridiculous how much water I have been using. We have a garden walk coming to Niagara Falls, and I try to keep the garden in flowers for pollinators and garden walkers.

2. Your garden is amazing!

3. swo8 says:

The Jamaican Me Crazy Daylily is gorgeous, Donna. Everything is coming together nicely.
    Leslie

4. Alesia says:

It’s hard to imagine all you have there. But the pictures are awesome. We are having strange weather. Some days are hotter then I recall in years past . But we have had the rain you haven’t albeit all in one day practically!!

• There is quite a bit in my gardens. When one looks at my May garden, it is hard to believe all these plants are yet to come. The promised storm yesterday never came either. Still on track for no rain this growing season. At least the temperature dropped some. The 80’s are better.

5. It´s so nice to have a look in your garden. Thankyou and greetings from Germany

6. bittster says:

It looks great, so much color and the butterfly weed really steals the show for brightness! What a contrast as you look down the street and see lawn after lawn, I’m surprised there aren’t a few neighbors picking up on your lead… but I guess some of these things take time (and sometimes lots of it).
    We finally got our first significant rain since May. About a 0.5 inch, which I believe is half of what’s recommended per week to keep a lawn healthy. I guess my grass won’t be greening up anytime soon and the hose will have to stay out…
    Any idea what heuchera that is in the first photo and your new header? Coincidentally I just saw something similar in a local parking lot planting and once I got over the surprise of seeing something unusual actually being used in a public place I of course anted one of my own! -you weren’t kidding about having perennials potted up through the backyard ready for sales, I see a few potted iris in there as well !

• In Buffalo many gardens are planted as such, but not here in Niagara Falls. One neighbor up the street has a huge front garden, mostly shade plants. She also planted out in the medium using sun loving plants. I suppose she took my lead since my garden was planted this way first. She also has a large back garden. The heuchera is ‘Marmalade’. Ferns in the same area are Japanese Painted, Caramel, Black Rabbit’s Foot, and Brilliance Autumn.

• bittster says:

Great, thanks! I’ll have to keep an eye out for it even though heucheras don’t seem to like my garden all that much…

• They did not like it here before, but with how the weather has changed and by me having to increase water usage, them and Helleborus are thriving and expanding in size, where neither did more than linger before. Even the ferns have been happier, some of them are native too. My biggest obstacle is all the gorge rock and heavy clay. My gardens are deeply conditioned, yet if I let up one year, the clay and rock resurfaces.

7. Your gardens are beautiful Donna and the combination of colors and textures is a sight to behold. Your neighbors are so lucky to have such a wonderful show to admire every morning.

• I am sorry Lee, your comments routinely go to spam. I am not sure why, and I often miss to approve them when mass deleting real spam. Thank you for leaving a comment and your nice words about my garden.

8. You must have really been busy watering. Things are a little dry here but there has been occasional rain. I have made a point of hand watering a few plants that are new, especially thirsty, or particular favorites – Clematis, Joe Pye Weed, Ironweed, Scabiosa. Your garden looks fantastic – I would never have guessed there was a drought. I love the combo of Butterflyweed and Asiatic Lilies.

• I do a lot of hand watering each day too. It is not so hard when having a small garden footprint. The delphiniums get a drink as do the ferns. All the containers and any plant that looks like it will keel over. I use the sprinklers very early morning upto 9am on sections of the garden, watering that section well. Next day, another section, and so on. Last year was the first I really started to have to water plants. We have been consistently without rain. Winters have been mostly OK, so trees are not as affected as plants with shallower roots. Our whole neighborhood has brown grass, except those that water their lawns each day. Orange is not a favorite color of mine, but I do like having the butterfly weed, so some plants to go with it. Plus, blue/purple works nicely with the orange.

9. lucindalines says:

Oh so beautiful is all I can say!! I just love looking at those pictures.

Wow! The variety of blooming plants is amazing. It is hard to believe you have had such a drought. Everything looks so fresh! And your temps sound like mine! Perennials really suffer in the sticky heat here, and many quit blooming for the summer. I am so impressed with what you have accomplished, despite the weather conditions.

• Thank you, Deb. I am lucky the garden is small and I have trees and shrubs to help keep the soil cooler. Our area is soooo dry. We make go the whole summer with no rain the way it is looking. I have been watering quite a bit. Pollinators are thanking me.

Gorgeous! My July garden isn’t as nice as it was last year, unfortunately. It’s amazing how I can do all the same things and get completely different results (thanks to so many variables beyond my control!). The weather has been so strange.

12. glebehouse says:

Could you send us some of your warm weather? Its mid summer and the temperature is only 17c. Lots of plants are late such as dahlias. Your plants are looking great.