Is Choice a Burden? Fall is a Trying Time This Year

milkweed-seed

Is it the details of Fall or is it the ambiance of the greater landscape? You know I love to focus on both. There is so much to appreciate in this world and season yet, it’s getting overlooked by the craziness of current events, especially this year.

The world is spinning out of control on so many fronts as our political competitors duke it out with the stupidest and inconceivable personal attacks. The campaign sinks to new low after new low. Every day news is a string of shocking developments. I think the race is over, but the backlash will live on and on.

falls

It is hard to get away from all this nonsense and it probably is not advisable to do so. I think the best we as voters have to offer is getting as well-informed as we can possibly be. I read a very sensible article on whether we have the obligation to vote by Mike Rowe. I follow him on Facebook.

I have been contemplating not casting a vote because I believe our nation has little to gain with either candidate and much to lose in the long run. I also realize we get one or the other no matter if my vote were cast. Is it my obligation to vote for the candidate I dislike the least? Politicians are tearing down the principles for what our country stands. I may actually dislike and mistrust the institution itself at this point.

whirlpool-park

As for being informed and having a learned responsibility, I have watched the debates and conventions. I have listened to the commentators and observed the polls. I have listened to common people and what issues they are most concerned that will affect their families. But is that what we are hearing from these candidates?

I am not comfortable with this particular election. I want to know how we go forth and face the problems within this country and world as we are mired in such alleged corruption and immoral filth.

I wrote the post, What Happened to Civility? back in July. It really sums up my position on the madness of our politics and the craziness of some of the people attending the speeches and rallies. I was going to write a Part Two, but the rabbit hole that was dug now leads down to the depths of Hell.

field-color

Why is it that with all the problems facing this country and the world, we have this type of campaign? Where is the substance, where is the most needed leader?

People we are supposed to admire, respect and look up to are some of the most immoral and corrupt people of this era. Is this how the world should see us?

Having watched and recorded both debates, my head was spinning at all the mud-slinging. Get to the issues folks.

The third debate is on October 19th in Las Vegas, appropriately and affectionately known as Sin City. The second debate was all about sin. The topics for the third debate are listed as:

• Debt and Entitlements
  • Economy
  • The Supreme Court
  • Immigration
  • Foreign Hotspots
  • Fitness to be President

I wonder if they stay on topic? It is the last debate to pull in the undecideds. Moderator Chris Wallace should be a good choice.

woodland-flowers

Just get to the meat of the issues that concern voters. Would that not be a better debate? Try as they might to stay on point, the questions and answers just might veer back in the lane of tabloid headlines. Let’s all hope this is not the course.

whirlpool-pk

The problem facing voters this year is the obligation to make a choice. We need to change the direction of this country and fast. Too many real and important issues face us here and abroad. The debate topics are good, so I hope the candidates answer with real substance.

fall-color-in-the-fields

So yes, it is the details and the bigger picture. The details help us frame where we take things to create a bigger picture with which to be proud. All the beautiful meadow details in this post make up the grand and gorgeous bigger picture. Let’s hope the debaters discuss details then look at the bigger picture…

colorful-meadow

You would think a walk in a meadow would be calming.

This entry was posted in Fall, Niagara Falls State Parks, photography, Thoughts and Observations and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Is Choice a Burden? Fall is a Trying Time This Year

1. We need a better system of choosing candidates. We have about 320 million people in the United States, and this is the best we can come up with? People are looking at third-party candidates and not finding anyone there that they feel are qualified to be president, either. Seth Godin, American author, entrepreneur, marketer, and public speaker, had an interesting post today on why choosing a third-party candidate might not be a good option. http://sethgodin.typepad.com/ I don’t totally agree with him, because if enough people vote for a third party, it can become a powerful force. I do agree with him that not voting at all is wasting the power you have.

• I agree with you, Connie. There are a lot of capable souls in all those millions. But I look at this election only to feel people of good moral character will never be willing to be subjected to stories made up about them to discredit them. Why would anyone want their children to go through what these two candidates have faced, deserving or not. The election process is forever changed and not for the better.

2. susurrus says:

I was drawn here by your glorious pictures of autumn but sympathise with your predicament. British politics are sadly much the same. After our own recent Brexit vote, I’ve come to think that voters are asked too few questions. Voters don’t want to vote on a yes/no question, or choose between people, then let leaders do exactly what they wish on our behalf – we want to have a say in the actual issues as you say. Voters may have little respect for political leaders, but that’s clearly mutual – political leaders don’t trust their electorate to decide policy or, during campaigning, to react to anything other than the grossest oversimplifications. Another issues is that election campaigns are far, far too long, given that they can be so socially divisive.

• I somewhat follow your politics too. I subscribe to BBC News and The Guardian. Once you had Brexit, I was very curious how people would react and what they believed was the right course for the U.K. Obviously, not everyone wanted to leave the EU. You make very good points on how government works and where in which it faults. People have lost their say and it is not reflected in the voting. In our country, the candidate that gets the populous vote may not win the election. The electoral college determines the winner. Citizens of the United States do not directly elect the president, instead they choose “electors”, who usually pledge to vote for particular candidates. See how that can change the outcome? They can decide to elect a candidate that the people did not chooose. It seems it always was a flawed system. Seven states (swing states) are the ones that truly matter in this system in this election. Another thing is the big cities determine the outcome. New York City determines all things for the rest of New York.

• susurrus says:

I had read that it all comes down to a relatively small number of states. I’m not sure any political system is perfect, but I do think they could easily be improved with the technology we have, if there weren’t so many powerful vested interests. I sometimes think I would trust a panel of seven year old girls, chosen for their kindness, to get the answers right a lot more often than some of our leaders.

3. Steve says:

Another powerful piece. I sympathise with you a lot. We have just “thrown out the baby with the bathwater” with our Brexit vote. I cannot believe that so many people voted on the basis of “I want a change”. This was the frequent comment you heard when people who voted for Brexit were asked why?. It seems to be similar in the USA. The one good think we do not have a president but have a monarch. I hate to think what people would vote for if we had a president. Maybe Nigel Farage!!!

Returning to your piece. I think you should vote. In your situation I might spoil my ballot paper to register a “non of the above” vote. Not sure if these are counted in the US but if they are then at least it is counting your thinking.

• Yes change is our mantra too. While we do need change, the change proposed is not the right direction. Nigel Farage came to speak for Trump. Trump even considered himself, Mr. Brexit. I believe each state is different on write-ins. I can’t remember ever having that option in NYS. We vote by a machine with levers and the choices are beside each lever. I don’t even know if New York City is different. I will vote. I just have to hold my nose while doing it. I really dislike both candidates, but especially dislike the media in all this. They are the institution feeding the fire on this election. We don’t have a media anymore that does not make the news. Their job is to report, not obviously be biased. The new thing is Wikileaks. More fuel to the fire.

I agree. This has turned into the worst fiasco in history. The debates have been almost too painful to watch. I don’t know where we will go from here with either candidate in office.

• I found them hard to watch, but also hard to ignore. I taped them thinking I would not stay up for the duration, but did anyway. It was so bizarre a confrontation that I watched the beginning again after two days. Yes, this country is divided. Not because they necessarily like one or the other, but the issues are becoming a dividing factor. The lack of respect for police and our military makes me sick and the media makes them out to be villains. My gosh, I fear one day I might need them and they won’t respond.

5. alesiablogs says:

I love the photos. Too bad our country is not so blissful.

6. It’s strange reading your lamentations about our current politics (about which I agree with you) juxtaposed to your beautiful tranquil photography. Maybe this symbolizes an inner peace still possible while an external storm is raging. We have weathered many of the storms in our past, often more severe, and have survived. Hope we can again.

• Very true. Our country had some very desperate growing pains. I doubt at that time there was much beauty to be found in all that strife. I would say I agree this country will weather this election, but I worry about external factors. Parts of the world are in very unstable mode.

7. swo8 says:

As a woman I would go and vote no matter what, Donna. We worked too hard to get the vote. However, I have often gone in and declined my vote Federally. This can be done in Canada. It is the equivalent of “none of the above”. I don’t know whether that is possible in the USA. If enough people are rejected, the candidates should all be discarded and the process done again with a new batch.
    I’ll be watching Wednesday night too with trepidation.
    Leslie

• I intend to vote, but do feel far removed from suffragette times. I was wondering if both parties agreed, maybe Obama could go month to month until they decide what to do. There has never been two candidates with such high disapproval ratings. That speaks volumes. I would choose none of the above. That would be a good option.

8. germac4 says:

I agree this is a strange and dreadful time in politics…our local state election left me speechless and depressed. (in Australia) However, I guess if you don’t vote, it is a vote for worst party.
    In the long run, maybe we could all try to get better voting systems, and encourage some quality candidates.

• I find it so strange that other countries are in the same position with elected officials. Mistrust of government seems on the rise too. It would be wonderful to revamp the system, but in all likelihood we would still have the same politicians.

9. aussiebirder says:

Yes I agree with you 100% Donna, where is true leader of integrity and moral character that cares about the basic family and their needs, the statesman the true voice of the people, not swayed by the corrupt minority. Yes, we ask where are they? As the song goes “Where are all the good men gone, long time passing…”

• I would hope you don’t have politicians like we have here. With so many readers from different countries having similar experiences with elected officials it makes me wonder if the world is getting turned inside out. It is as if the people don’t matter anymore. We just get what we get.

10. Paula says:

I came out on my deck to read your post and luckily had my new petite camera on my wrist. You motivated me to walk around my ‘highmeadow’ and enjoy some of the beauty of this day. You have a great way with words and pictures. Thankfully, I have no doubt who I am voting for. I always go with my best moral judgement.

• Yes, by all means get out there with your camera. I did that myself today and went to the Falls for stunning Autumn color. It was not colorful yesterday, but today was spectacular. That will be my next post on GWGT. I talk about places to go for leaf-peeping in New York State. If it was so glorious here, I can just imagine what it is like in other parts of the State. I have been to those places before, so my imagination is in overdrive.

11. We’ll your photos had a lovely calming effect on me, Donna. Thank you☺️

12. I read the Mike Rowe post the other week and applaud him for his position. I have been very conflicted about this election because, like you, I think both candidates are atrocious. I am very conflicted about how to vote, if at all, at the Federal level. Your glorious photos cheered me up. I try to stay focused at the local level because I can have an impact there.

13. Paul Grant says:

Stunning photos. They are very relaxing! The politics sucks however we need a true leader with integrity and moral character that cares about his people. Nevertheless, I am rooting for this one candidate. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this.

14. Anita Brucker says:

Always love the photos! If a 3rd party candidate gets just 5% of the national votes, the 2 party system is finally broken, and we will have more choices next time. Therefore, I’m voting 3rd party.

This has been an unusual election cycle. In past presidential elections, I’ve always had a strong preference, but I never despised the other candidate. This year, I actually despise one of the candidates because of that person’s appeal to racism and sexism (and general erratic nature, lack of knowledge, etc). The other candidate isn’t perfect, but no candidate is and that person’s foibles are within the range of normal for long-term politicians (that kind of thing isn’t ideal, but it doesn’t bother me the way it seems to bother others). As a woman and an ethnic minority, I don’t feel like I have the luxury to sit this election–or any election–out.