Autumn Leaves – A Different View

autumn-leaves-8

At this time of year, scenes of Autumn exploding in color fills my Facebook wall. Most are images like below, color blasting from the screen. But one set of images caught my eye because they were so similar to the ones in this post.

autumn-color-at-falls

Post-processed

dsc_4546

Original image

I did not know the photographer, but he almost looked at Autumn in the same way. Leaves floating by in a stream, leaves caught suspended before they hit the ground.

autumn-leaves-3

Others were more as a study, like above.

autumn-leaves-9

Some were like leaf portraits.

Others were a study in light. At the beginning of the post, I showed an image slightly post-processed and the original. There really was no reason to mess with the image. Color was bright and natural in the original, but the water was a little drab. Many Fall images on the web right now are overly post-processed which gives an unnatural feel. They are beautiful in their saturated color, but not really what exists in nature.

autumn-leaves-2

While I like seeing Fall as a colorful rainbow of scenic beauty as one sees most often, sometimes the most interesting ways of seeing Autumn is to just focus on some of the more simple finds.

autumn-leaves-4

The autumn light will bring color and texture to a lot of things. Fall is an awesome time to be out all day long looking for beautiful photos. Vibrant colors can transform an otherwise mundane scene into a blanket of red, yellow, and orange hues.

niagara-river

I look forward to the pleasant surprise of fog as it adds a bit of autumn authenticity. Maybe the colors are muted, but cold nights allow for many misty Autumn mornings. Fog and thick mist in the air can provide a stunning composition, and again, where you can appreciate the simpler things in life.

farm-under-fog

But what about changing the lens from macro to wide-angle? It really can make a difference. See next post the D750 gets a wide-angle lens and does it change the mood of the images? Check out Nature and Wildlife Pics for tips on autofocus. A bit more advanced than usual here on GWGT to get those birds in flight.

This entry was posted in photography, photos and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Autumn Leaves – A Different View

1. johnvic8 says:

So beautiful, but we are not quite there yet.

2. bittster says:

Works of art, very nice!!

3. Beautiful fall photos and I like how the post-processed photo bumped up the color of the water without over processing it.
    We are about at our peak here for fall foliage, but I’m afraid with all the rain we had the last few days will probably bring a quick end to our fall color.

4. David says:

All very nice shots.

5. Emily Scott says:

At first I couldn’t see much difference between the first two photos, but when you mentioned it I could see that making the water more blue livens up the colour contrasts. Clever of you.

6. You have given me inspiration. I want to go out today and take photos of some leaves.

7. Pretty! You are bringing out the best in the leaves!

8. alesiablogs says:

Such a good post. It reminds me to be careful with my bold self! I love a bit of the overprocessed because I like bold colors, but sometimes nature itself just shouldn’t have our help. It is so beautiful left alone. Yet, knowing me- I will continue to tinker my shots!! Thx Donna.

9. Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year when every leaf is like a work of art. Beautiful post!

10. swo8 says:

It’s a beautiful time of year and you captured it so nicely, Donna.
    Leslie

11. Pingback: Autumn Leaves – A Different View | LA PASSION DES JARDINS

12. Mmmmm, Autumnmmmmm, my favorite season, and you just added to my file of ‘proof’.

“sometimes the most interesting ways of seeing Autumn is to just focus on some of the more simple finds.” I agree. These pictures are stunning, just like the season they celebrate. The leaves have started to change color in my neck of the woods. It’s been an absolutely beautiful October.

14. Hi Donna, Your photos are always so interesting and I can see from your example above that your editing only enhances them without giving that fake effect. I always enjoy hearing your advice! The photo of the water running over the rocks is also amazing. I’m looking forward to hearing about the wide angle shots. Linda

15. Very nice! Our fall pallette is rather a dud here in S. Wisconsin this year. It’s like we’re in a wet zone 7 or 8, since we’ve had so much rain, no frost, and warm weather. But most years, the colors are incredible here, too. Thanks for sharing the stunning autumn scenes. Though I love the warmth, I miss the vibrancy of a “normal” October.

16. Brian Comeau says:

Looks like you have had some great colors this year as well. It’s been super here in Atlantic Canada. Hope you are well!

17. Looks stunning but I like the way you have a variety of views on the leaves. Beautifully done and will try and follow up on your camera tips.

Sigh….

The glorious colors of fall…just lovely.

20. Brian Comeau says:

I really like the last photo!