Color My World White Please

Snow-in-the-GardenSnow Works So Quietly

SnowmeltRain like it has been after the first brief snowfall… just not quite as pretty, but oh so helpful after our drought.

It is absolutely amazing how snow can transform a landscape, especially the first snow, so pristine and beautiful. It just powders the landscape and fall leaves.

Maple-Color-GoneThe snow can make things of little interest, beautiful. It can turn ugly into stunning. That happens more often when you get more than just flurries. When it is flurries, you have to rush out in the morning before the wind or sun dispense with it.

Sad-Rose Yes, snow can be dangerous, dreary, messy, and destroying, but I rarely look at it that way, because it works in silence most often, falling in the still of night, where the morning brings the white clean landscape. The day’s endeavors make the slush and dirty white mess.

LavenderDid you ever notice how snow in its silence and stillness quiets a world filled with humans that make too much noise? Our daily lives are filled with so much noise that it amounts to toxicity of the soul.

Alyssum

Hydrangea-in-SnowI love snow for how the city streets quiet down. The sounds of nature are what I prefer, the chatter of squirrels and Blue Jays, the song of Cardinals. I would be in heaven in a cabin in the woods, but for how long? One would tire over time of not having the daily conveniences we have grown so accustomed.

Squirril-Drinking

Flurries are welcome, but snow can come like a mighty storm, with wind and strength. Each flake a ready soldier of many armies. Did you ever wonder how plants and animals view snow?

Red-CardinalI bet they like the quieting of us! Many of us disappear from where they live. While not me since I am often alone in the nature parks, but I tread lightly so my feathered friends don’t mind.

SnowFlake-1Wrong lens and enlarged many times, but I still caught a single snowflake falling along with a tiny one inch leaf… I am sure there will be many more to follow before next Spring.

This entry was posted in garden, Nature, photography, photos, Weather, Winter and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Color My World White Please

1. Beautifully said and photographed.

2. gwenniesgardenworld says:

awsome pictures !!

3. swo8 says:

Donna, we had the same squirrel at our back door yesterday. He was plump and his fur was thick and shinny. We were standing at the glass door where he could see us. He came right up expecting to be fed. I took two pictures.
    Leslie

4. aussiebirder says:

I love the adornment of first snow on leaves and trees it is so especially beautiful. Your pics are lovely Donna, very refreshing to view on this hot humid day.

• Thank you, Ashley. It does look like decoration, I agree. I bet it is hot there. Makes for better birding. Right now birds are few and far between in our area. I suspect where I am going to see fewer than normal too. Eagles like it colder and it is not cold enough for them yet. They need to have their fishing holes iced over to come our way.

5. Beautiful captures including the clever snowflake picture. P. x

6. arlene says:

Such a beautiful world of white Donna. Love the photos.

7. Emily Scott says:

I love the quietness of snow too. Your first photo is especially beautifully composed.

8. Very beautiful and there is such a quietness to the snow. Very frosty too in our place so perhaps a cold winter is coming. Thanks care and keep warm.

9. Snow can transform our world, and the quiet that it creates is perhaps the most amazing aspect.

10. Still very fall like here, although quite cold last night. I look forward to snow.

11. Kevin says:

I was all set to comment about everything looking like it was coated in sugar — and then the last photo appeared. I know you said wrong lens, but . . . mind blown. 🙂

12. It’s nice to admire from afar! the images are lovely, and the squirrel adds charisma… then that cardinal in red attire — you are so talented!

• Thank you, Z. You are where it is warm! Up here, the temps are dropping and winter is teasing us.

• Linda at the Task at Hand recently wrote about the Midwest bumper crop of grains (her photos were stunning) and yesterday my sister wrote from Arkansas and said that the pecan trees that have never produced good pecans – all produced a perfect bumper crop… The first caught my attention a bit, and the second gave me pause.. I’m wondering if the upcoming winter is going to be a challenging one….

13. I agree with everything you’ve said here. It speaks to my soul. I love the first snow. If I could lop off February (or just spend it traveling), I would be very happy in my northern climate. Beautiful images and words, Donna.

I find snow so beautiful that it is indeed hard to make the first tracks sometimes. I don’t like to mar it’s loveliness. I too love the solitude of the outdoors and the country far more than the city. I have been very privileged to live in a tranquil area. I love the photos, each one is more beautiful than the last.

15. It is the extra moment that you allow yourself to see and feel the delicate details of that first snow…your photos and text reveal that you are open to the magic that is there and free to all! Thank you for sharing! 🙂

Love, love the image of the snowflake and leaf! All of your photos are inspiring and truly match your expressed sentiments. Snow, being so rare here, is a wonder that can bring out the child in the most hardened adult. I love the hush that comes over the garden with a snowfall. Most of us in my area are feeling the same delight in rain. After 3 months, our drought has finally ended.