Beautiful Tundra Swans in Winter

swans2

Just because it is winter…

1swan

Sometimes missing flowers is not so bad…

waterfowl

How is the weather in your area?

swans-ducks

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Wildlife, Winter and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Beautiful Tundra Swans in Winter

Such beautiful creatures! We got some snow and ice overnight. All the schools and many businesses were closed yesterday in anticipation. Snow is always a good excuse for a holiday here. (In truth, icy roads are very dangerous, and no one has equipment to clear them.) Our temps dropped to the low 20s and did not get above freezing today. Winter is here!

• I did see how snow is affecting the South. It makes big news. It is dangerous as you say. Our greater area, not my area, got three feet and the schools could not send kids home all night. Some kids were stuck on buses and taken to the nearest fire station. Predictions were 2″ and boy were they wrong. That is why schools made the mistake with the kids.

2. Lovely photos. Having a quieter canvas really draws my eyes and ears to other things that I don’t always pay attention to in the garden. I take much more notice of trees. lichens, mosses and textural items that are overlooked when there is such a riot of color.

3. Oh yes, they are beautiful. Winter is stunning. A little too long and cold, but stunning.

4. lucindalines says:

It was far below freezing here today.

5. Denzil says:

I like the circular “frame” you’ve put them in Donna. Is that something you frequently do? What makes you decide to go in that direction for certain pictures?

• No, I don’t usually edit photos. I belong to a photography group and I did these for them, but thought to post them here as well. I suppose the image itself being so high key was directing me to accentuate this technique. It is just a vignette of white, rather than black.

6. aussiebirder says:

What beautiful birds these swans are Donna! Like the Snow Goose, their colour suits the environment, and they have an outstanding beauty and gracefulness of their own, which you have captured so well. A bird we never see down here.

• Thank you. I am surprised you don’t have swans that are native to Australia. But a white bird seems out of place with all the colorful birds. I suppose most cockatoos are white, but I bet you wish they would move to another country.

• aussiebirder says:

We do have the Australian Black Swan which is native to Australia which I frequently post. Which use to be only found in Western Australia but has multiplied itself now all over Australia including its islands. Thankfully, we only have a couple of whitish cockatoos and white corellas, the rest are mainly black or grey with beautiful coloured tail plumage, from whence they get their particular names. and yes, the sulfur cockies are a nightmare for those living close to roosting reserves.

7. bittster says:

Amazingly beautiful. Love the effect around the edges, these photos are card ready!

8. swo8 says:

The swans are gorgeous. The grass is green here, Donna, this may not last long. It is awfully cold and windy but the sun is out and the always lifts the spirit.
    Leslie

9. I want to know about the “frame” as well.

10. Aishwarya says:

These are such beautiful photographs! The winter has its own beauty and magnificence, doesn’t it?
    It’s cold and grey here and a bit too dull for my liking! And it’s a long way to summer! 😦
    I wandered my way here but am very glad to meet you. Looking forward to more posts. Do visit me if and when you have a moment. Cheers. 🙂

11. So beautiful to see your tundra swans. What type are they? We were looking at a charity flight of a woman and a hang glider from Arctic Russia to the Uk. This is the journey of the Bewick swans and her flight was to bring attention to their decline.

12. Susan Link says:

Lovely photos! Cold here and snowy! We got about 2′ of snow and it’s 17F.

13. alesiablogs says:

tried posting here 5 times. done with this stupid wordpress. great pictures..actually said a lot more than that

14. germac4 says:

Lovely to see the Snow goose, makes the winter look quite inviting!

15. Beautiful birds! In answer to your question, weirdly warm in Scotland. We want snow! Or at the very least a decent frost to zap the slugs ..

Swans are such majestic birds. While the weather is cool for Florida at 65, the sun is out…a lovely day for this former New Englander. 11 at our former home with 2 for the low tonight. 🙂

17. So lovely. Absolutely freezing here but supposed to end tomorrow.

18. Rose says:

Beautiful creatures and stunning photos! I actually kind of like winter…for awhile. It has its own beauty, and I appreciate the break from the garden to work on other projects. We’re supposed to get ice this weekend, however, which is my least favorite weather–I’m just praying we don’t lose power.

19. Thank goodness there are birds when the flowers are done! I have backyard birds but no swans near here, so especially enjoyed your stunning pictures. We had a January thaw today, but expecting the cold to return later this week. P. x

20. Andrea says:

Everything looks white! I haven’t experienced winter so i cannot imagine what i will feel like at the center of these environments. I feel so curious to experience one.