Ducks

male-longtail

Traveling around Canada, I was noticing how many ducks I was seeing compared to what I have seen in the States these last few years.

In 2014 to 2015 when we had a lot of snow and cold previously typical of our area,  ducks were everywhere in our lakes, rivers and ponds. Granted, many could not find food due to the harsh weather and died of starvation, but there were raft after raft of ducks of all varieties.

female-pintail

Biologists are finding some migrant species are not migrating over winter, instead finding enough food in the area in which they breed in summer.

Long-tailed-Duck

The snow and ice can be hard on ducks, but this year has been very mild.

mallards-in-flight

Most ducks are not very willing to come close for photos, but having a lens reach up to 850mm with the Tamron, 150-600mm plus 1.4x TC does allow for some nice shots.

ducks-flying

Some images are in snow, while others are taken in 70°F. In February! Nothing like not having winter. Enjoy the duck pics. I suppose it will be flowers soon.

lonely-lady

mallard

lonely-drake

female-mallard-in-swamp

marsh-mallard

This entry was posted in Birds, photography, photos, Weather, Winter and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Ducks

1. David says:

I think your “duck landing” photo (fourth from last) is really exquisite. Nice side angle at just the right time and with nice processing.

2. I hope you will enjoy your time in Canada

3. aussiebirder says:

Beautiful ducks Donna. Love the bright iridescent speculum that many ducks have, and how it changes colour in different light settings.

4. I love your models, Donna and they obviously love you too!!!! 🙂

5. I can practically feel the water and the ice! Wonderful shots of the birds in flight, too.

6. scarlettdixon57 says:

These are some amazing shots!! Thank you for enjoying God’s creation and sharing it with us!

7. swo8 says:

Amazing shots, Donna. We have some ducks that usually over winter on our little stream called Loyalist Creek. Sometimes the school kids try to scare them, but they do come back.
    Leslie

8. pjmarieblog says:

Fabulous photos! I wish I could follow you around and learn how you get them. Of course i’d need some serious photo equipment 🙂

9. Denzil says:

Your photos always make even the most ubiquitous of birds appear exotically and wonderfully rare!

Love these pics! Your photos are truly a window to the wonders of wildlife!

11. Denise says:

Beautiful! That last one is really funny.

12. Roxie says:

beautiful images! their graceful lives have always held my attention. particularly sympathetic to them in the winter ice.

Your comment is most certainly appreciated! Make my day and say hi!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s