Pine Marten

Both blogs have photographs of rodents on them. Both are rather cute. Both are Canadian rodents too although the US has both in some areas of our country. This rodent is in the weasel family, the Pine Marten.

The Martens prefer mature boreal forests of conifers or mixed forests of conifers and hardwood where they find prey, dens and protection from predators.

This one was found in Algonquin Provincial Park near to campers and the camper’s garbage. The Martens invade the trash containers and feast in there for hours. They are rather shy, but will fight each other fiercely. They are basically solitary and very territorial, but males will tolerate females. Except for breeding season, martens are solitary.

They are agile tree climbers and will prey on other rodents like squirrels and chipmunks.  Before we got there, three Martens were terrorizing a red squirrel until it was caught and killed. If observant, you might see one slinking though the woodlands.

This entry was posted in Animals, Parks, photography, photos, Wildlife, Winter and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Pine Marten

1. swo8 says:

They are kind of cute, but I’d hate to lose a squirrel to one of them.
    Leslie

2. aussiebirder says:

Another interesting creature we do not see here. Thanks for sharing your great pics and info Donna.

3. pjmarieblog says:

So cute…the paws look surprising big 😉

4. I didn’t realize they would eat large rodents like squirrels! That must be quite a fight. I know we have pine martens in Wisconsin, but mostly in the north in the pine forests. I’ve seen them at zoos and animal sanctuaries, but never in the wild.

5. germac4 says:

Beautiful photos as always. I haven’t seen Martens, cute when young, but obviously efficient when hunting.

6. Denzil says:

Over here they are exceptionally shy. We have beech martens and stone martens that can be a nuisance around dwellings. There’s something bear-like in them, isn’t there. Super photos as always Donna.

7. I’ve never seen a pine marten before.

We don’t have them here. All the rodents I know are relatively small. This animal looks as big as a large tomcat!

9. Laura says:

Very beautiful images, and well written. Pine Martins look like a cross of fox and weasel. They are adorable looking.