Singing the Song of Spring

Here we are a few weeks from winter, but I can hear the faint songs of spring off in the distance. It won’t be long again, birds are on their way to summering grounds. Many birds remain in our area through winter (see a number of posts on this blog featuring them), so there are many things to notice and study about birds. One thing that always intrigued me is not why birds sing, but when they do so.

I know from personal experience, how I enjoy listening to the early risers in my own garden, but when going to nature preserves and parks, I think I would miss the song of these grassland birds if we don’t protect their fields and meadows. It is what brings me to these places.

The world over, birds sing mostly around dawn, but it was never understood as to why.

Studies surmise dawn has the least wind disturbance and the air makes the sound carry, but it could be as simple as the cool morning air is too heavy with mist for the insects to start their day. If birds are not feeding in the morning then singing for mates is a reasonable activity.

This entry was posted in Birds, garden, Nature Preserve, Wildlife and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Singing the Song of Spring

1. Maybe they just wake up happy and want to share their mood with everyone else!

Yes, it would be a very sobering silence if dawn was not announced by the local birds…

2. alesiablogs says:

I prefer complete silence until 8am! Haha

3. “If birds are not feeding in the morning then singing for mates is a reasonable activity.”
    Excellent conclusion!
    🙂

4. aussiebirder says:

Yes Donna the birders here know it as the ‘morning and evening chorus’. It is their main feeding time after sleep and before sleep when they are very active and singing. I personally believe it is when they worship and give thanks to God as they move about gathering food. It is always the best time to see, hear and photograph birds. They enjoy the first sunlight and the last. Often you can catch great shots as they move to the top of the tall trees to catch the last sunlight before sunset. I get soem of my best pics then with the yellow effect from the setting sun.

5. swo8 says:

I’m finding that the bird song here has diminished considerably. It harkens to me of Silent Spring. How is it in your neck of the woods, Donna?
    Leslie

6. Beautiful fellow! I also love listening to their song… Happy Spring, my friend. 🙂

7. Kevin says:

So funny that you wrote about bird songs! I now get up for work before the sun comes up. As the sky starts to brighten, I can hear someone’s rooster greeting the day — and as I take out the dog, I can hear songbirds, most likely getting ready to head north before our summer heat sets in.

Those happy birds would wake me a the crack of dawn each morning when we lived in New Hampshire and we had a large tree right outside our second story bedroom window. As soon as I was fully awake with no chance of falling back to sleep, they would fly away. 😀

9. Denise says:

I read somewhere that nighttime is very dangerous for birds because then there are many predators around. So in the morning they sing loudly to let other birds know that they survived. Lovely photos!

10. Living in the city, we don’t hear as much birdsong as we did in more rural areas, but even here, in the springtime we usually get a lot of robin calls in the morning and evening. Not so much this year, and I’m wondering what has happened to them.

11. Rose says:

I love it when it’s warm enough that I can sleep with the windows open and hear the birds early in the morning. It makes me want to get up instead of pulling the covers over my head for a longer snooze:) I’ve been doing a lot of garden clean-up the past few days and have noticed a lot of bird activity lately; it must be nest-building time.

12. Your photographs are full of the joys of spring, Donna. On mild mornings we are hearing more birdsong as spring progresses. Also, birds are checking out our birdhouses. The phoebe returned this week — a sure sign of spring. I love this time of year. P. x

Oh, forget science – I think they are singing because they are welcoming the morning. Probably they are also telling each other their plans for the day! (Honey, don’t forget that new nesting material I saw by the big log, and I could use a couple of extra worms!) As always, I enjoy your marvelous pictures!

Your comment is most certainly appreciated! Make my day and say hi!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s