Ospreys Mating

This has been a busy pair of Osprey. I watched them for an hour and they mated twice in that time.

I myself was in the hospital recently and seem to have more wrong with me than I already have faced, so getting to sit out and watch the osprey seemed good for my health. It is why I have been posting infrequently.  Seeing new life begin anew just as spring gets in full swing is a joyful experience.  I have strict restrictions on what I can do at this time, and gardening is out for a bit. I have cleaned up over half the garden and lots of flowers are blooming now. Tulips and Muscari look especially good right now, but lots has started to leaf out or opened to bloom.

And birds are being frisky.

The image above and below is the male coming in to the receptive female.

He is doing his victory dance below.

Below, he has gone out to find twigs to add to the nest. A gift for his misses.

This entry was posted in Birds, photography, photos, Wildlife and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Ospreys Mating

1. pjmarieblog says:

Hi! Wonderful photos – I see Osprey in Seattle but not that close…thank you!

2. Wonderful series. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

3. Your photos are stunning! Particularly the male osprey doing the victory dance is absolutely beautiful!

Sorry to hear that you spent further time in hospital. My very best wishes!
    Get well soon, Donna!
    Michèle

4. meander1 says:

I always enjoy your posts but never comment. However, I just want you to know that your work is valued and your readership is wishing you a well deserved recovery.

5. swo8 says:

I missed you Donna. I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t been well. You caught some lovely photos. Do take care and come back to us soon.
    Leslie

6. lulu says:

Once those eggs hatch, osprey parents are very protective as I’ve found out when I venture too close with my kayak.

7. Jennifer Allard says:

Hello, I have lived at my present house in Manchester, New Hampshire for the last 10 years. It is in the city but have a quarter of an acre of woods behind my house and have enjoyed many birds,squirrels,raccoons,possums etc. I love nature and I have at least 10 to 15 different kinds of birds ranging from chickadees,finches,3 different kinds of woodpeckers and usually a pair of Cardinals (some times with up to 3 offspring). I also have a medium size hawk that has a nest close by and though it is beautiful it does scoop up a few of my animals friends. I find it so interesting watching how all of these different birds coexist and how each has its own habits and mannerisms. I was disappointed at the fact that my local Audubon society isn’t interested in my information about what I have to keep track of the state population of birds. I love the Cardinals because they are so beautiful as well as their unique chirp they do to keep in touch with their mate. Also that they are the last bird at night to come by and they are shy but both the male and female will puff up their head feathers if they are getting food in a group of other birds.I just took classes to become a honey beekeeper and just set up my 2 first hives out back.I am very excited to start producing my own honey (instead of buying it from another beekeeper in the next town) because it has so many health benefits as well as trying to help save the bee population. I enjoy your pictures and articles and would love to share my animal friends with others.
    Thank you and have a great day. (=^..^=) Jennifer

8. Oh my gosh! These photos are amazing!

9. Sorry to hear you are experiencing medical issues again. Hope you are on the road to recovery.
    Your photos are wonderful. Thank you for sharing. Take care.

10. Twigs rather than roses–so interesting. Your “action” shots are wonderful; hope the diversion speeds your recovery.

11. alesiablogs says:

these photos remind me when you were out and we took a few pics of them. I hope you are healing from your recent bout with the hospital. Give me a call some time so we can catch up.

12. aussiebirder says:

Amazing photos Donna! Osprey are always a great find. I saw some last week on my trip through the northern river country. You have beautiful clarity in the movement shots.

Your comment is most certainly appreciated! Make my day and say hi!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s